• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Make up of a cricket team

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am most probably captaining my school’s under 14’s team this year. Last year, I was in year 7, captaining a team with only a couple of regular weekend cricketers, and lots of first timers or players who haven’t played for a while. This year, I move up to year 8, have gained experience by playing senior cricket, and have a few better players to play in the team. Here I will run through the players I know are available and most likely going to sign up, and you can help me make a batting order and all. Take note that everyone is pretty much an all-rounder, that’s just the way it is in juniors. However I will write some preferred positions and stuff next to them.

NOTE: This is all assuming I am captain. The games will be between 20 and 50 over’s per innings, most probably 40.

I have written up 7 or so peoples profile thingies, will post up more as I write them. I would like your opinions on how I should order them, how I should bowl them, etc.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Jake (myself) (c) – Top/middle order defensive to moderate batsmen and opening/first/second change bowler.

Likes to bat top 5 and gets the ball to swing a bit, opened the bowling last year and took 2/2 (both clean bowled) in a losing cause. Will be batting 3-5 in almost any case.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ben B (vc) – opening/middle order defensive batsmen and wicket-keeper/off spin bowler.

Ben will probably be opening. If he doesn’t open, he will probably slot down to 5 or 6. He will be wicket-keeping for either the whole innings or coming out to get through a few overs through the middle period of the innings. He is a fairly slow batsman.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am most probably captaining my school’s under 14’s team this year. Last year, I was in year 7, captaining a team with only a couple of regular weekend cricketers, and lots of first timers or players who haven’t played for a while. This year, I move up to year 8, have gained experience by playing senior cricket, and have a few better players to play in the team. Here I will run through the players I know are available and most likely going to sign up, and you can help me make a batting order and all. Take note that everyone is pretty much an all-rounder, that’s just the way it is in juniors. However I will write some preferred positions and stuff next to them.

NOTE: This is all assuming I am captain. The games will be between 20 and 50 over’s per innings, most probably 40.

I have written up 7 or so peoples profile thingies, will post up more as I write them. I would like your opinions on how I should order them, how I should bowl them, etc.
Hey,Im in Jake's school cricket team im will most probably be the opener assuming Jake is captain.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ben P – opening/top order batsmen with moderate to aggressive style who bowls some mediums and off spin.

Will either be used as an opening batsmen or number 4, who will bowl first change with his seam up, and either come on and bowl a few offies later on and maybe keep wicket while Ben B is bowling.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Tom G – opening/top order batsmen and opening bowler.

Tom will be batting at 3 if both of the Bens open, otherwise he will be opening. Opens the bowling as well.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Kalani – Middle order batsmen and seam up bowler.

Kalani will bat batting from 4-7, and probably bowling second or third change. He bowls spin, but I don’t really think he has enough consistency bowling his spinners, so he will be bowling his mediums. He will be getting through a fair few overs, due to our lack of bowling options. Can also keep as well, maybe a better alternative then Ben P.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Kyle – Very aggressive batsmen and decent bowler.

Kyle is a huge hacker, I would love him to open and get our innings off to a flyer, but he isn’t keen on that at all. He will be at number 6 or 7, I can’t decide where. I am leaning towards 7, because if he comes in late in the innings, he will be our best option to hit the ball to the boundary.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Jayden – Lower order batsmen and decent bowler.

Will be batting at 6 (would be 7 but in the shorter form he doesn’t have the hitting ability that Kyle does). Can bat, and will be bowling a bit as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ben B
Tom G
Ben P
Jakester
Kalani
Jayden
Kyle

If you get to a good start move Kyle up the order

Jakester1288

International Regular
So far that's all I've got. I reckon this will be the top order:

1. Ben P
2. Ben B +
3. Tom
4. Jake *
5. Kalani
6. Jayden
7. Kyle

That's a pretty good line up. I would prefer to be batting 3, but I am not a selfish captain, and would be willing to bat down the order if it's the best thing for the team.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ben B
Tom G
Ben P
Jakester
Kalani
Jayden
Kyle

If you get to a good start move Kyle up the order
That's a pretty good top order. I could definitely live with it. Top usually opens in his Saturday cricket, but his top score has come at 3. I would probably go to 3 ahead of Ben P, because I feel more comfortable there, and he likes batting at 4 - he has his equal top score opening and batting at 4.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You at 3 and Ben P at 4 sounds good too.

And also possibly making Kalani focus on keeping and Ben B focus on his bowling.

Jakester1288

International Regular
You at 3 and Ben P at 4 sounds good too.

And also possibly making Kalani focus on keeping and Ben B focus on his bowling.
Another fantastic idea.

But I definitely want Ben keeping for the majority of the innings. Ben B is definitely going to be our keeper, he keeps in our juniors and had his first go at keeping in seniors last week. Perhaps a change at drinks or something will be good, because Ben is and wants to keep.

Do you have any captaincy/coaching experience?

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good foundation, lipstick, eye-liner and a bit of blusher does the trick for me, but the best make-up a woman can apply is to buy me half a dozen beers. That does the trick.

Oh, sorry. I thought it was a question about the womens world cup

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's a pretty good top order. I could definitely live with it. Top usually opens in his Saturday cricket, but his top score has come at 3. I would probably go to 3 ahead of Ben P, because I feel more comfortable there, and he likes batting at 4 - he has his equal top score opening and batting at 4.
Actually I would prefer opening I mean i love opening,