• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Throwing

Luffers

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi,

I play a lot of cricket, I've played rep stuff and am currently in the First XI for both school and club. However I have one part of my game whihc is worse than the rest and that's throwing in the field. From close I'm fine but when I have to make a throw from the deep I struggle.

I think it's a technique problem and I was wondering whether anyone here has any tips on how to throw further and more accurately. Would be a great help.

Cheers,
Luffers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The thing that's made the biggest difference to me has been stability of base and size of base - try longer to give you more of a platform for your energy transfer. Of course all the basics - high, aimed left arm, high elbow, follow through, head at target - still hold.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
From a Strength/power angle, improving your 'elastic' power often helps. If you can get hold of one, throwing a 2-3kg rebounding medicine ball against a wall, catching it and throwing it again can improve your arm speed and core stability.

I would suggest a circuit of something like:

10x Overhead slam
10x Side pass from the left
10x Side pass from the right
10x Chest pass
10x Squat jumps (just to get some hip drive in there too)

Rest for 1m and repeat 3-4 times.

Do that 2x a week as part of an overall plan.

Also although I have not tried it I have heard anecdotal evidence that throwing a heavy object (say a 1kg ball) followed by a light object (tennis ball) followed by a cricket ball can make improvements.

The ratio for that would be 4:2:1 or similar.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'll get better as you get older too. I used to be unbelievably dire in the field. I'd have to throw it halfway to the stumps and hope someone else was there to throw it the rest of the way. Now i'm merely a regular sub-standard fielder.

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
A great way to improve throwing is to do some work with therabands isloating different phases of the throw and working specifically at them - reverse chaining.

If you can - video yourself throwing - video is just as important with fielding as with batting and bowling!

Do you complete the throwing action?

Josh

International Regular
Try and hold the ball with your arm almost vertical before you throw to give you a good platform, then launch from there. Pull back, bend the elbow and follow-through.

I can't throw properly anymore due to poor technique and overzealous "hammering" throws that have done some bad damage to my shoulder. Unfortunately, I've had to adopt the Chris Gale. Looks horrible.

thekeeper

Cricket Spectator
I can recommend playing an off season of baseball. The yanks really know how to throw. That's why the Australian cricket side has Mike Young helping them!