• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you prepare your bat for playing

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
HI guys, my last bat question for today :happy:

How do you prepare a bat for batting, I have been told you have to oil it and then play it in.
Didn't find to much info on this on tbh.

Any advice or links on this will be higly appreciated.

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
When I bought my bat in south africa. I was told to oil the face and the other side in the night and in the morning i should knock it in with a mallet. Repeat this twice but without applying to the back...(on consecutive days)

jathu

I was just wondering...I dont have a grip cone but I wanna put a grip on my bat. How do I do it?

King Pietersen

International Captain
With alot of hard work. It used to take me a heck of along time to get a new grip on my bat without a grip cone, you can have a go, but it won't be easy.

jathu

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of having more than 1 grip on my bat?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adding more than 1 grip will mean the bat is heavier, handle is thicker but picks up lighter.

I have 2 grips on my bat, A black spiral and then a pink Octopus grip on top.
I prefer the thicker handle and the added weight up top means that the bat feels lighter in my stance, and IMO gives me quicker bat speed when playing my shots.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeh, it can help balance the weight of the bat. If you've got a particularly bottom-heavy bat, putting 2 grips on can help give a far more balanced feel in the hands, which makes the pick-up feel far lighter.

Woodster

International Captain
With two grips on it obviously gives my bat the thicker feel in my hand that I need. I personally have big hands and like my handle to be much thicker than a single grip, it feels as though I have more control as the bat is nicely weighted.

Also, where I buy my bats from, they are already oiled and don't necessarily need anymore on. Over oiling will do the bat no favours. An anti-scuff sheet on the bat is very useful, as is a protective toe guard. Some of the bats do come pre-knocked-in, but it is always advisable to do a further couple of hours on it yourself.

jathu

One of my friends told me that you have to poke little holes in your bat and then oil it and finally knock the blade in with a mallet.

Not Out

Cricket Spectator
I was just wondering, what is the best thing to knock in your bat with? A ball in a sock, a wooden mallet, or a mallet with a cricket ball on the end?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I prepare my bats by taking them out of another person's kit bag and asking if I can use them.

Best way to go in my opinion.

I do oil my box and knock it in before use however.