• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to approach swing bowling.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
In recent years i have had trouble against the new rock most people in my grade that i play they swing it so much like they swing it from leg side edge of pitch to the middle and i try to flick it and get bowled and driving is such a trouble for me always get edges to the slip cordon or keeper.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
In recent years i have had trouble against the new rock
What position in the team do you play? Batsmen, bowler, allrounder? I would assume you bat pretty high up the order if you have trouble against the new rock, either that or your team sucks and you come in very early. :p

most people in my age group swing it so much like they swing it from leg side edge of pitch to the middle
What age group is this? What type of ball do you use? I highly doubt they swing it from the edge of the pitch to center stump, I dislike hyperbole's if they are not funny.

i try to flick it and get bowled
For starters, if the ball is on middle stump you shouldn't be leg glancing it. You should be 'flicking' it through the mid-wicket region, if you can play that sort of shot. If you get trapped on the pad though, it could end up being pretty plum and see you back in the sheds.

driving is such a trouble for me always get edges to the slip cordon or keeper.
We have all experienced this at some stage. Do you do this constantly against straight bowling, or does it only happen when you are facing swing bowling? You really need to get in the nets and practice playing your drives from bowling and throw downs from the coach. There are hundreds of web-sites out there that help you with certain aspects of he game, you should take a look when you get the chance.

Jakester1288

International Regular
My roll in the team is a batting all-rounder but i bowl quite low i usally take 1/0 but my best figures 2/7.
You have a very similar role to me. I am also an allrounder, probably more a pure allrounder than a batting TBH. Could be a bowling allrounder.

Where are the balls pitched you are trying to drive? Front foot or back foot drives?

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You should play straight to the swinging ball...Jakester...how old are you?Which team do you play for?

Jakester1288

International Regular
You should play straight to the swinging ball...Jakester...how old are you?Which team do you play for?
I don't know why you're asking me, but I am 13, play under 15's and 4th grade for seniors. Also captain my school under 14's side.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
You have a very similar role to me. I am also an allrounder, probably more a pure allrounder than a batting TBH. Could be a bowling allrounder.

Where are the balls pitched you are trying to drive? Front foot or back foot drives?
Front and Back Foot shots are troubling me back more than front but i was a hyperbole when i said it swang that much bu it swings a fair bit.

jathu

I don't know why you're asking me, but I am 13, play under 15's and 4th grade for seniors. Also captain my school under 14's side.
So what are you a batsman or bowler? I play for my country's national team...

Tait always move your foot to the ball...whenever I get a ball which pitches down leg and swings back in. I always get to the pitch and play towards cow corner.

micoach

I wrote an article a while back on this.

It's all about practice really but the tricks are:

1. watch the ball
2. get to the pitch of the ball
3. play with soft hands

It might seem obvious but it's all true.

Jakester1288

International Regular
So what are you a batsman or bowler? I play for my country's national team...

Tait always move your foot to the ball...whenever I get a ball which pitches down leg and swings back in. I always get to the pitch and play towards cow corner.
Allrounder. Not sure whether batting or bowling though, probably more pure than anything.

jathu

You should play on the front foot mostly to avoid letting the ball swing.Try and play in the V during the early phase of the innings. Leave anything you feel you can't play and always play straight.

OnDrive

Cricket Spectator
First post here, so hope I don't say anything silly. :ph34r:

To slightly negate the swing, stand about 4 to 6 inches further from the crease than you usually do. Works especially well against late swing.
Of course, this just means you will need to watch the ball even closer, and play with very soft hands. It also helps if you are trying to play straight, rather than play across the line as that only increases your chances of being given out LBW or worse yet, have your stumps rocked.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am njot sure I agree with the advice you are getting here.

Here are some basic rules.

If the ball is swinging considerably do not play forward unless it is really pitched up. This is even more true for the outswinger.

Move decisively - that is full forward or right back.

Have a damn good idea as to where your off stump is, this is vital to be able to leave the ball if it is going to end up outside your off stump (which is a good thing to do when you have just got in). The best way to know where your off stump is, is by moving (right leg when going back) and leaving any delivery not coming on to your body (pad line). This is for outswing naturally.

DO NOT play the swing delivery with anything but a straight bat. Flicking at a swinging ball is asking for trouble.

Try and play in the direction of the swing - inswing from straight to mid wicket (depending upon line of delivery) and outswing from straight to cover (again dependiong upon line).

You wil do well not to drive hard initially at swinging deliveries. Getting a single and rotating the strike is a good ploy til you have got settled. Driving with vigour at what looks like ajuicy half volley but is swinging gets more people in touble than you can count.