• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Off Spin bowling

Spinksy

Banned
Anyone know of a good way to approach Off Spin? Should I be charging confidently down the pitch trying to smack it, or should I be hanging back and using the direction of the spin?

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
look at the line of the ball and come to the pitch of the ball and play it. If it's short, smack it as hard as you can. If the ball is in good length always try to bat on the front foot ! stepping out and coming to the pitch of the ball helps too.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If it is down leg, sweep shots and pull shots come in to play. If it's short, don't hesitate in hitting it. If it's a good ball, respect it. Try to play with the spin when you can, and hitting down the ground, whether along the ground or lofted is very effective, because very rarely will a fieldsmen be put back.

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If it is down leg, sweep shots and pull shots come in to play
I wouldn't play cross batted shots such as the sweep to off spin bowling because if your right handed,you play with the spin which can give problems such as top edges. You should play cross batted shots against leg spin.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I wouldn't play cross batted shots such as the sweep to off spin bowling because if your right handed,you play with the spin which can give problems such as top edges. You should play cross batted shots against leg spin.
:huh:

You should always be playing shots with the spin AFAIC, I don't think you get top edges from playing with the spin, even if it's cross batted shots.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
You have more chance of getting a top edge of leg-spin bowling then off spin bowling you queer.

thierry henry

International Coach
First option should always be the reverse sweep. Eye up a spot somewhere around 3rd man and try to hit it for 6 there. If you miss your target by more than a metre, you are simply a poor player of spin. I would suggest immediately getting yourself out hit wicket the next ball.

Jakester1288

International Regular
First option should always be the reverse sweep. Eye up a spot somewhere around 3rd man and try to hit it for 6 there. If you miss your target by more than a metre, you are simply a poor player of spin. I would suggest immediately getting yourself out hit wicket the next ball.
:laugh:

Gun advice.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
well spinksy its Ben Pellow you should be staying back in the crease and working the ball around and not trying to smack it you wont bet Silly mid and have a massive chance of getting stumped.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The reverse sweep idea isnt a bad one. Its one of the ways I play spinners.

If the ball is full outside off- I reverse sweep.

If the ball is full on the stumps- I put it over long on. If long-on is up then I work it for a single to long-on.

If the ball is a good length on the stumps- I look to get a massive stride in and deposit them between fine leg and mid wicket.

If the ball is a good length outside off- I look to carve them over the top of extra cover/cover.

If the ball is on or a fraction outside off stump and on a good length then Ill look to defend.

Spinners are like women. If you start off by letting them dictate to you then they have you by the balls and you can never get it back and before you know it you will be doing DIY on your Saturdays. Do not let spinners get their hooks into you. A spinner wants nothing better than to be defended the 6 balls of his first over. Gets him in the rhythm and relaxed.

There are balls you will have to defend but the aim is to reduce them to a minimum and make the area the spinner has to aim for as small as possible.

Last edited:

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anything which pitches outside off and is short of a length. Just move your back foot towards leg and play a late cut towards gully. This shot always gives me the quick singles I need. Usually goes right throught the slips.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spinners are like women. If you start off by letting them dictate to you then they have you by the balls and you can never get it back and before you know it you will be doing DIY on your Saturdays. Do not let spinners get their hooks into you. A spinner wants nothing better than to be defended the 6 balls of his first over. Gets him in the rhythm and relaxed.

There are balls you will have to defend but the aim is to reduce them to a minimum and make the area the spinner has to aim for as small as possible.
Sure your method won't work for everyone, but this is absolutely correct. If you're bowling spin and someone goes after you early it's a nightmare to deal with. Personally the moment my accuracy completely goes is when i'm forced to throw in variations before i'm settled.

OnDrive

Cricket Spectator
Anyone know of a good way to approach Off Spin? Should I be charging confidently down the pitch trying to smack it, or should I be hanging back and using the direction of the spin?
Being Indian, and having played a lot of cricket in India, I love to murder (figuratively. Only. :ph34r:) off spinners. :laugh:
You have to play late. Wait for the ball to come on to you, and get your front foot close to the pitch of the ball.
I have noticed that every time I try to hit the ball too hard, I make errors in timing the shot, and the best shots I play come out of judging the correct length and hitting the sweet spot.

Have a friend bowl some off-spinners to you, and practice getting your front foot near the pitch, and then hitting the ball with the spin by gently rolling your wrists over the ball. This will take a while to get used to, and supple wrists will hold you in good stead.

Once you're confident of that, you can bring in variations like the sweep, and charging down.

Julian87

State Captain
I'm a leggy. I'd rather players trying to score boundaries off me, unless they are brilliant, then I'd rather see them defend and I'd attack the other batsman.