• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scoring runs

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have been playing cricket for quite a while and I have always opened...but i have only gone past the 50 mark twice in that entire time. I tend to score very slowly.I dont block every ball.Its just that I dont hit any. I think it has something to do with my big fear of getting out cause whenever im not scared of getting out I tend to score more quicker.And i really wanna score a 100 or even 2 in my next match or so.What should I do?

micoach

Sounds like you have answered your own question - don't be scare of getting out!

It's quite a common thing because we don't really practice that part of the game in nets. One thing you might want to do is play practice games. You can do it formally in practice where the coach sets a situation and you play to it (to save time), or informally with some mates down the park with a tennis ball.

It might seem trivial to have a knock about but it teaches you to just play and enjoy it without fear.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am the same. I am very slow batsmen when we are not chasing a very big total in little time. I never go over the top or do anything like this, I just play along the ground and try to find the gaps. But I cant!

For example, I went back to seniors last week on 3* overnight. In 8 overs (the other two batsmen got out in this time) I made a grand total of 1 run, and absolutely everything was coming off the middle of the bat, straight to the fieldsman. But then a week before, in juniors, I was playing in a 25 over match, come in at 5/28 about 2 overs before drinks (12/13 overs), made a partnership, I scored 15 (pretty quick too my my standards) and my partner scored 28 or something like that, and we ended up making 7/101.

micoach

One good drill for finding the gaps is to lay out cones for fielders and get a ball fed to you to hit through the gaps.

As you develop you can go from a bobble feed to a slow one bounce feed to throwdowns or a bowling machine.

jathu

I wanna score a 100 in a 20 overmatch. What are the small things I can do to ensure I reach my target.

micoach

It depends, what is your highest score so far? If it's 80+ you are nearly there, if its 2* batting at nuber 10 we have some work to do!

jathu

Well,my highest score is actually right on the 50 mark....but I fequently get scores of about 42,40,44,36 and much more.I just never get to pass the mark. I always bat well in the nets but when I go out there I bat like a number 9. But I know I can score a hundred. What should I do?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i'm a fairly slow scorer as well, i prefer the 2 day games where i can pace myself, but in the one dayers i open, and i often get myself to do a job and see off the new ball and the best bowlers, then get out when the trundlers come in and i try to push it along, only to see my teammates cash in, good for the team yes, but sometimes i'd like to be a bit more fluent and score some myself

jathu

I've just found out about 'gettin into the zone' and i realised it is directly proportional to my strike rate...I have trouble getting into my 'zone' and i don't ever remember batting like how i bat in the nets where i feel more comfortable and bat usual in a match. How could i get into my 'zone' more???

Howsie

International Captain
Well,my highest score is actually right on the 50 mark....but I fequently get scores of about 42,40,44,36 and much more.I just never get to pass the mark. I always bat well in the nets but when I go out there I bat like a number 9. But I know I can score a hundred. What should I do?
I was always a bowler who could bat abit growing up but as I got older my batting improved and I slowly moved up the order. Around the ages of 14/15/16 I pretty much constant 30,40,50's but scored pretty slow because I was scared of getting out. I played a Under 19 game about three years ago and I was batting pretty low at eight and our team had a pretty big collapse. We were chasing 278 and we were 101-6 I think. I pretty much just didn't care I guess and just batted like I was in the nets. Long story short we won and I made 117 of 81 balls. After that I just had the confindence to bat like that all the time, and during my last year at school I managed four centuries. Don't worry it will click for you, it's just your head playing mind games with you.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Altho I'm not the best refeerence person due to my short presence in the noble game of cricket, I can only give you this advice, try to enjoy it and just hit the ball, that's what I always try to do. So far I' ve scored every time the coach let me bat and believe me I'm also stressed of getting out but the adreline of scoring points always takes control and I ust try to hit it as hard as possible.