• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling around the wicket

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey guys,

As a pace bowler, I have always bowled over the wicket, generally wicket to wicket. But mixing it up is an important part of the game, and recently I asked the umpire (my coach) if i could come bowl around the wicket, but he said 'no'.

My point being, What is the problem with this? He told me something about not being able to have four slips in :dry: . That got me thinking, what line and length should I generally bowl when bowling around the wicket and what advantages do they have, as in other competitions the official umpires will allow me to make this change.

Mat

Jakester1288

International Regular
It will give you an angle across the right hander, and in to the left hander (this is all preuming you are right arm seam up) and with added swing, can be leathal to the batsmen. Work on it in the nets first, and when you are confident enough tell your coach you want to try it and to get stuffed and do it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey guys,

As a pace bowler, I have always bowled over the wicket, generally wicket to wicket. But mixing it up is an important part of the game, and recently I asked the umpire (my coach) if i could come bowl around the wicket, but he said 'no'.

My point being, What is the problem with this? He told me something about not being able to have four slips in :dry: . That got me thinking, what line and length should I generally bowl when bowling around the wicket and what advantages do they have, as in other competitions the official umpires will allow me to make this change.

Mat
I'm not sure why so many people have a problem with this...it works brilliantly if you pick the right batmen to bowl to. I usually start from behind the umpire rather than wide out though as it stops you from running down the middle of the wicket and also helps to prevent you sliding down legside withthe angle of your approach. I've had to convince a number of captains it's the right thing to do, but to a tailender who is covering his stumps it's a no-brainer in my opinion. Same with top-order batsmen, always worth a try.

Edit: Found it effective to top-order batsmen who step across the stumps and flick you on the leg side too.

Last edited:

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
There is not much to change from your point of view. You are still trying to hit the top off off stump but because of the different angle the ball will pitch more towards leg stump or middle and leg.

If you can swing the ball in to right handers it's a good ploy and I would say it's essential to bowling to lefties (assuming you a are right arm bowler).