• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the role of No. 3 and 4 batsman

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey,

It looks like i am going to be batting at No. 3 now, so whats the role of this position in a 20 or 25 over match, and what makes a good No. 3?

Jakester1288

International Regular
In 20 overs, 3 is a good position to have someone who can steady the innings, but play big shots.

You might come in second ball at 1/0 and have to play yourself in and force the pace, or you may come in at 1/60 after 5 and need to continue the good start. You need to play according to each situation that confronts you.

You need to be able to score at a strike rate of over 100 when needed, and hit boundaries too.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Batting in 20 over matches

Ok...so lets break this down a little

20 overs = 120 balls..... so if you only lose a wicket every 12 balls your fine, however that is not quite the route to go.

normally teams will be 6-8 wickets down at the close of innings in such matches... your job when you 1st go in is too get off strike ...this can be done by backing up "from both ends of the wicket"....and taking cheeky singles.........:laugh:

this draws the fielders in and then will give more opportunities to hit over or through those close fielders......

J8-)

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Generally, I think the first three batsman in the side are openers. Which means you have to be able to face the new ball.Also no.3 and no.4 are the powerhouse of the team.Which means you also have to score many runs and anchor the entire innings.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Generally, I think the first three batsman in the side are openers. Which means you have to be able to face the new ball.Also no.3 and no.4 are the powerhouse of the team.Which means you also have to score many runs and anchor the entire innings.
Personally, in Twenty20, I like to have 1, maybe 2 big slogger openers, 1 or 2 grafters, who guys who nudge it at 3 and sometimes 4, and sloggers at 5, 6 and sometimes 7. Then the tail.

99*

International Debutant
In a 20 over game, you should try and stay at a run a ball, try and do this until you're in the last 6 overs and from there attack. Playing like that will normally get you a score of 60-70 which is a good score.

If however you are 8/9 down you should wait until the last two overs to attack. Since you do not want to get out yourself and leave the tailenders to slog out.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
In a 20 over game, you should try and stay at a run a ball, try and do this until you're in the last 6 overs and from there attack. Playing like that will normally get you a score of 60-70 which is a good score.

If however you are 8/9 down you should wait until the last two overs to attack. Since you do not want to get out yourself and leave the tailenders to slog out.
Hey 99.....what are they are the bottom of your message ..."madden stats"?

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
IMO. The role of number 3 depends on how the openers went.If the openers got out early you try to steady the ship if they make 40-70 you could build your inning's slowly or how ever you bat (Def,Mod or Agr).I know i have batted at 3 and 4 before in my grade.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
IMO. The role of number 3 depends on how the openers went.If the openers got out early you try to steady the ship if they make 40-70 you could build your inning's slowly or how ever you bat (Def,Mod or Agr).I know i have batted at 3 and 4 before in my grade.
If you are defensive, you shouldn't be batting at 3 unless you are promoted to come in after the first ball at 1/0. In a Twenty20 match, there really isn't time for a defensive batsmen so high up the order, and if the openers make 40-70 there wouldn't be much time to play yourself in.