• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Going on tour

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi,

This week im going off to south africa for a small cricket tour and we will be playing on tuff as oppossed to the astro we have here.How will the change in pitches differ the bowling and how can I combat the changes.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hi,

This week im going off to south africa for a small cricket tour and we will be playing on tuff as oppossed to the astro we have here.How will the change in pitches differ the bowling and how can I combat the changes.
Thats actually a pretty good question.

It all depends what you bowl. Spin on astro means you can throw it high and it will bounce like a tennis ball. On turf you need to push it through a fraction quicker.

With seam, you probably need to pitch the ball up a litle further. You wil not get the carry from just short of a good length.

Good luck, it sounds like a fun trip. Where in SA?

jathu

Well, we are going to mafikeng. But i was wondering how changes in the wickects would afffect my batting and how i could deal with the problems...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You need to play more from the front foot on turf, the ball doesn't bounce anywhere near as much or consistently on the turf wickets.
Yeah, you need to get to the ball and get a big stride in. You cant 'guess' where the ball will be as turf does funny things and is not consistent.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
from my own experience...play a lot from the frontfoot! big change from astro

jathu

Im back from my tour in south africa and im happy cause we came second out of about 12 schools. But i never really got a chance to bat yet i am a batsman. I am going back in 2 weeks but this im playin for u15. I have noticed that the bowler gets swing in the direction of the wind.How could i use this to my advantage.I also score too slowly.How could i improve my strike rate.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I score slowly too, but when the bad ball comes hit it, and when you have a good runner down the other end, really push for hard singles.

Not Out

Cricket Spectator
Hey jathu i was also playing in a tournament in Mafikeng last weekend. Same tournament? Im from Edenvale High.

jathu

What shots should I playing on a green pitch and what about on a good hard pale pitch?And also how should I bowl spin on such pitches?

Jakester1288

International Regular
What shots should I playing on a green pitch and what about on a good hard pale pitch?And also how should I bowl spin on such pitches?
Can't you ask your coaches because you do play for your 'national' team, afterall. I'm surprised you have only just started playing on turf. :dry:

It's stupid you say "what shots should I be playing on a green pitch" and stuff like that, because you should play every ball on it's merits. We don't know what shots you have, and you just play like you normally would, but expect more swing than normally.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's stupid you say "what shots should I be playing on a green pitch" and stuff like that, because you should play every ball on it's merits. We don't know what shots you have, and you just play like you normally would, but expect more swing than normally.
I disagree with that personally - yes you should play every ball on its merits but you've got to take into account the pitch as well - green seaming and swinging conditions (which we get a lot over here in england) you either want to smother the ball so it cant move of the pitch or if its not full-pitched watch it late - whereas on a harder pitch you can go at the ball more and not play it so late as you know its not going to move.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I disagree with that personally - yes you should play every ball on its merits but you've got to take into account the pitch as well - green seaming and swinging conditions (which we get a lot over here in england) you either want to smother the ball so it cant move of the pitch or if its not full-pitched watch it late - whereas on a harder pitch you can go at the ball more and not play it so late as you know its not going to move.
"I should be playing straight drives, cover drives and the pull shot on a full pitch."

It doesn't make any sense at all to play different shots just because of the pitch type. Obviously, you shouldn't go trying to drive balls that bounce higher from the pitch, but you should play the shot according to the ball delivered, not he pitch.