• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes off season diary

Jakester1288

International Regular
With the season coming to a close in the next month, I thought I would start up this thread to keep you updated with my off season training and things like that. Whilst you may not care, some encouraging comments should help me keep motivated.

I'm sorry my other thread died, my season diary, my activity went down terribly but now I am here and more active than ever.

At the moment I am struggling to fix my back which has been troubling me for 3 weeks now. I thought it was just healing again and I bowled on the weekend and during my 5 overs it went from good to bad to worse. I picked up 2 wickets in 3 balls, but had to do a lot of following through and picking up balls of my bowling, partially due to bowling good enough to make the batsmen bunt it onto the off side near the pitch, and partially due to my fielders being too lazy.

I am going to be training hard over this off season, so I don't waste a season like last. I am trying out for rep again, and thinking about quitting junior cricket for good to just play seniors. That will be good.

I am looking to buy some new shoes and cricket clothing just before the new season, and over the off season I will be trying to lengthen my run up a bit, gain momentum towards the crease, improve my batting and general fitness, and my fielding as well.

Here's hoping for a good off season and a brilliant 2009/10 season!

Jakester1288

International Regular
This is my scheduled routine when my back starts feeling good again and cricket finishes up.

Monday - Weights
Tuesday - General Fitness and Conditioning
Wednesday - Cricket training*
Thursday- Weights
Friday - General Fitness and Conditioning

* From home, includes warm up, fielding drills, batting drills and bowling run up work.

On the weekends I do pretty much whatever I can be motivated enough to do. Thoughts/idea's I can add to the program?

Julian87

State Captain
Weights are somewhat ridiculous for someone your age.

Giving up juniors pretty much screws your chances of furthering your career through selections, however minor they may be. Don't get too sucked in to lower grade, country senior cricket, it tends to diminish quite a few games simply because of the poor opposition, quality of play/grounds and what not.

What age group are you moving into anyway?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Weights are somewhat ridiculous for someone your age.

Giving up juniors pretty much screws your chances of furthering your career through selections, however minor they may be. Don't get too sucked in to lower grade, country senior cricket, it tends to diminish quite a few games simply because of the poor opposition, quality of play/grounds and what not.

What age group are you moving into anyway?
Staying in 15's for another season if I decide to play juniors as well as seniors.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, don't give up juniors. If you're still eligible, play. If you can't cop playing both, give up low-grade senior cricket until you're forced into it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Yeah, don't give up juniors. If you're still eligible, play. If you can't cop playing both, give up low-grade senior cricket until you're forced into it.
Fair enough.

But if I make rep I am not too keen on playing junior club as well, cause I have 2 games on Saturday (from 8-6 odd) and then on Sunday from 9:15-5).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair enough.

But if I make rep I am not too keen on playing junior club as well, cause I have 2 games on Saturday (from 8-6 odd) and then on Sunday from 9:15-5).
Yeah it's different if you make a rep team, but rep selectors will look a lot more closely at junior club performances than low-grade senior comps. Well, they do in Sydney anyway, not exactly sure on the various standards of play in Coffs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm actually against the other boys. Play some Seniors, test yourself against the older blokes.

Do this for a while and you'll find Juniors a lot easier.

Julian87

State Captain
Yeah it's different if you make a rep team, but rep selectors will look a lot more closely at junior club performances than low-grade senior comps. Well, they do in Sydney anyway, not exactly sure on the various standards of play in Coffs.
Junior cricket in communities like Coffs Harbour are generally pretty poor. There just aren't enough decent kids to stretch the teams out as they desire and the overall standard becomes pretty average. Inter District comps are where it all begins though and this is what jake should be aiming for. Anything he can do to get into rep teams is a good move. You need to get into these teams to even receive decent coaching. It is different to Sydney, where there are quite a few coaching centres set up for kids to improve their cricket. You will often find that people who run cricket country towns also tend to want to keep to themselves and pick people who will live their forever etc.

In my junior cricket, i went through the system in Dubbo which was pretty good, and then had to take a backward step by moving to Kempsey on the North Coast when I was about 13. Dominated junior competition up there, missed out on regional selections because no-one knew me when i had moved and there were no trials (don't get me started) and injury, so I had about 2 seasons of cricket playing junior club cricket, age group inter district and lower grades in Kempsey. While being a spinner, it probably helped my game, because I grew a confidence in my ability which i deem invaluable for tweakers. But it destroyed my batting. I scored a lot of runs through until about 13s/14s and had received a lot of very good coaching in Dubbo before I moved. But after that, I had no decent batting coaching until under 15s/16s when I was getting picked in regional teams again, based on performances, but now mainly as a bowler because bad habits had crept into my batting.

So all in all, Jake needs to get himself into the rep team, or close to it IMO.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Junior cricket in communities like Coffs Harbour are generally pretty poor. There just aren't enough decent kids to stretch the teams out as they desire and the overall standard becomes pretty average. Inter District comps are where it all begins though and this is what jake should be aiming for. Anything he can do to get into rep teams is a good move. You need to get into these teams to even receive decent coaching. It is different to Sydney, where there are quite a few coaching centres set up for kids to improve their cricket. You will often find that people who run cricket country towns also tend to want to keep to themselves and pick people who will live their forever etc.

In my junior cricket, i went through the system in Dubbo which was pretty good, and then had to take a backward step by moving to Kempsey on the North Coast when I was about 13. Dominated junior competition up there, missed out on regional selections because no-one knew me when i had moved and there were no trials (don't get me started) and injury, so I had about 2 seasons of cricket playing junior club cricket, age group inter district and lower grades in Kempsey. While being a spinner, it probably helped my game, because I grew a confidence in my ability which i deem invaluable for tweakers. But it destroyed my batting. I scored a lot of runs through until about 13s/14s and had received a lot of very good coaching in Dubbo before I moved. But after that, I had no decent batting coaching until under 15s/16s when I was getting picked in regional teams again, based on performances, but now mainly as a bowler because bad habits had crept into my batting.

So all in all, Jake needs to get himself into the rep team, or close to it IMO.
I would agree with this. This season, 2 teams did not field teams in under 15's, so we had a 4 team competition (2 of those teams being my club, we fielded 2 sides, and I was in the team with 8 players whilst the junior head coaches team gets 11). Next year that should improve though, because I am hoping that the Under 13's players will be coming up to under 15's, so they will be forced to make a team (surely they wouldn't leave their players with no teams to play in).

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm actually against the other boys. Play some Seniors, test yourself against the older blokes.

Do this for a while and you'll find Juniors a lot easier.
I have been for a little while now. I have been playing both juniors and seniors from a month before we broke up for Christmas to now.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Mainly how we perform, but also how the selectors have seen us in limited opportunities in the past. I performed poorly last time I made rep, under 12's it was (in the 2007/08 season) and I am sure that affected me when I tried out for under 14's rep (2008/09) this season.

However I think I might have a better chance this season if I keep improving my cricket, making runs and taking wickets, and impress the selectors at the trials, I should be in a good position to be selected. A fair few players will be going up to under 16's, which will benefit me, but also some under 12's reps will be coming up, but hopefully I will be able to make the team ahead of them.

Jakester1288

International Regular
So you will be in the proper age group fo under 14s?

That is always a help.
Yeah, I will be 14 playing against other 14 year olds (and a couple [not very many] of 13 year olds) if I make rep. And in junior club, I will be 14 playing 13-15 year olds.

Jakester1288

International Regular
New program, starting tomorrow:

Monday-Friday morning:
Up at 6am for a jog/bike ride
Monday & Thursdays:
Weights
Wednesday afternoon:
Cricket training (team, not my own)
Saturday:
Cricket from 8-6

I plan on sticking to that until cricket finishes. My problem is I don't know if I will actually get up tomorrow morning and go jogging, I fear I will just turn off the alarm and go back to sleep.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Nope, I am 13 and trying to 'get the edge' as they say.

Plans change, and I have remembered things I forgot (I used to lift weights and do exercise a fair bit) and have been recently remembering stuff. So one thing I remembered is to do shiz in the afternoon (partly cause I'm lazy and making excuses :p).

In about 20 mins I am going out to do some light weights to get my body used to it before I start properly on Monday. Then I am going for a jog.

Later.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Throw yourself in at the deep end!

as the title suggests you should definetly play out of your comfort zone.

plays seniors and colts...but play seniors as you will face better oppo and learn more there...

this is the number 2 way to improve your cricket..

Jakester1288

International Regular
as the title suggests you should definetly play out of your comfort zone.

plays seniors and colts...but play seniors as you will face better oppo and learn more there...

this is the number 2 way to improve your cricket..
What is the number 1, and what is Colts?

I think I will play juniors and seniors next season TBH.