• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes off season diary

Jakester1288

International Regular
Going out for a weights work out in half an hour. Sun is out, good signs.

Going to catch up on the exercises I missed last week as well.

readie

State Regular
What trainings/ other commitments do you have which you need to work around with you're training and how many sessions a week do u want to spend on training etc.?

Jakester1288

International Regular
What trainings/ other commitments do you have which you need to work around with you're training and how many sessions a week do u want to spend on training etc.?
During the off season I don't do anything much. Anything up to 4-5 sessions per week, but preferably nothing on Sunday.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I missed another weights session today due to rain, but was too lazy to catch up on some of the bodyweight exercises. I have 3 options, which should I take?

a) do the workout tomorrow provided it's dry/sunny and be sore on Wednesday when we have cricket training
b) skip the workout altogether
c) do a two in one workout on Thursday, doing all the exercises (Mondays and Thursdays) on the one day.

Personally I am leaning towards A.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ok, I just tested myself to see how quick I can get down the road to the bridge and back. This will be a test of my fitness, and hopefully this will improve over time.

It took me 32 minutes and 16 seconds to complete the run. I had a few distractions, but I don't want to make excuses.

A few goals now:

Under 30 minutes: By 30th April 2009
Under 25 minutes: By 30th June 2009

Jakester1288

International Regular
Also, I have my cricket grand final this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) so that will mean cricket from 1-6 both afternoons. After that, my program will be as follows:

Monday - Weights
Tuesday - PA
Wednesday - Cricket Training*
Thursday - Weights
Friday - PA

PA = Phisical activity eg Jogging, sprints, swimming, circuits etc
* = Cricket training from home eg hand eye co-ordinaition, throwing the ball at stumps, running between wickets, possibly nets session etc.

I am not a person who can do things on weekends, especially after late nights, but if I feel motivated I will. I will be keeping track of what I do in this thread.

Jakester1288

International Regular
This is my new program (again). I have decided to have more workouts, and have a Sunday off, so I have 3 cardio workouts and 3 weights and bodyweight workouts.

Monday - Weights
Tuesday - PA
Wednesday - Weights
Thursday - PA
Friday - Weights
Saturday - PA

I reckon this will be better, because I can do more exercises, but in less sessions, so my sessions are less, and intensity more. I will edit this post with my workouts soon.

Monday – Biceps, back and abs
Deadlifts
Dumbbell biceps curls
Overhand Bent over barbell rows
Ball crunches

Wednesday- Legs, forearms and abs
Barbell squats
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Calf raises
Double crunches

Friday – Chest, shoulders, triceps and abs
Seated dumbbell press
Bench Press
Pushups
Bench Dips
Plank
Side plank (left and right)

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wow, jake you are really serious about cricket, huh. Here in botswana we just have a practice every friday for about 3 hours. We never have off season training or anything like that...

Jakester1288

International Regular
Wow, jake you are really serious about cricket, huh. Here in botswana we just have a practice every friday for about 3 hours. We never have off season training or anything like that...
Yes indeed. I just want to start my routien now, can't wait till Monday, first day of the off season.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Forgot to update yesterday, played cricket. So yeah....

Sunday 29th Mar 2009

Went to cricket today, and it was called off about an hour in due to rain. So we lost! When I came home I did circuits for 20 minutes, and that really took it out of me. It was good, running then doing bodyweight exercises eg. squats, pushups, sit ups, lunges, calf raises, step ups etc.

I went out tonight, had a cheeseburger and chips with a diet coke, didn't finish the chips on purpose though. Hopefully that doesn't have too much effect, and I can work it off in my workout tomorrow.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Monday 30th Mar 2009​

First workout today, will not say they are PR's, although most of them (not bicep curls) are. I started off light for my first week, and I had a really poor technique on my barbell rows.

Weight (in kilos) comes before repititions, obviously.

Monday - Back and biceps

Deadlifts - 17.5x15, 17.5x15, 20x12, 20x12
Dumbbell bicep curls - 4x8, 4.5x8, 4.5x8a
Bent over barbell rows - 3 sets of 15x6
Ball crunches - bodyweight 3 sets of 40

Felt awesome.

iamdavid

International Debutant
All due respect....I know you're obviously very keen on your cricket and trying to get the best out of yourself, but aren't you 14?

If so then doing deadlifts and barbell squats at 14 is not the greatest idea imo, your bone structure is still quite soft and not yet fully developed, as is the case for your tendons. Most literature I've seen on the subject reccomends you dont do serious weights until 16 (hell even Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't touch them till he was 15!).

Running is great, so is core/abdominal work. And there's no harm in the bodyweight exercises like squats, chinups, pushups, etc....infact I wish I'd started those at your age.
But If I were you I'd leave the deads and squats for another couple of years...

Jakester1288

International Regular
Tuesday 31st Mar 2009​

Worst day today. We get to leave school at the start of 4th period to go home because the road is flooding. We go, and the bus isn't there. So we have to go back to school, and come back later. We get there, and luckily I go home with my mum. The backyard is like a pool, the pool is like an ocean, the neighbours are flooding (never seen that before), the road is flooding in about 6 places, and it's pouring rain. I really wanted to do cardio, even if it rained, but I didn't know it would be this bad!

Jakester1288

International Regular
Monday - Weights
Tuesday - HIIT
Wednesday - Weights
Thursday - Circuits
Friday - Weights
Saturday - LISS

Just putting in what my Physical Activity will be (in bold) is that good?