• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes off season diary

ozone

First Class Debutant
What is the number 1, and what is Colts?

I think I will play juniors and seniors next season TBH.
Colts cricket is another name for Junior cricket. At least, it is in the UK. Thought it was used worldwide TBH, but might be wrong.

Its good for you to have such a full program mapped out, but I would add to concerns about someone your age doing weight training. You can't really benefit hugely from it in the long term, and it is more likely to put undue strain on your body.

On deciding on whether to play Juniors and/or Seniors, I would advise you to play as much as possible without hurting yourself. If you have to cut one out, cut out the games which you enjoy least. Enjoyment should be your main concern still, because you do not want to do so much work, you find you no longer enjoy playing.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Colts cricket is another name for Junior cricket. At least, it is in the UK. Thought it was used worldwide TBH, but might be wrong.
Nah, that's not what we call it.

But yeah, atm I am looking likely to play another season on juniors. But maybe not if I make rep.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator

Its good for you to have such a full program mapped out, but I would add to concerns about someone your age doing weight training. You can't really benefit hugely from it in the long term, and it is more likely to put undue strain on your body.

On deciding on whether to play Juniors and/or Seniors, I would advise you to play as much as possible without hurting yourself. If you have to cut one out, cut out the games which you enjoy least. Enjoyment should be your main concern still, because you do not want to do so much work, you find you no longer enjoy playing.

I agree with Ozone on the enjoyment bit.....a good young cricketer is a smiling cricketer:laugh:....

re weights....don't go mad.....have a day between work outs ...your body at your age is constantly growing...and it needs this rest time to recover..otherwise u can do permant damage.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
your schedule

This is my scheduled routine when my back starts feeling good again and cricket finishes up.

Monday - Weights
Tuesday - General Fitness and Conditioning
Wednesday - Cricket training*
Thursday- Weights
Friday - General Fitness and Conditioning

* From home, includes warm up, fielding drills, batting drills and bowling run up work.

On the weekends I do pretty much whatever I can be motivated enough to do. Thoughts/idea's I can add to the program?
hi jakester....i think i said somewhere else about having a days break between some sessions....but that was for weight training ..this schedule is fine....

but my advice is for you to ensure that you do leave a days break between the weights sessions at least ...and ensure that on those days - the body parts get rest..

weight training ..typically rips muscles.....and as such you need rest time and good food for those muscles to repair....
if they do not have this then you will damage the muscles...and injury will come.....

best of luck 8-)

Jakester1288

International Regular
Got in a small bodyweight workout in my room, did 4 sets off 10 squats, 5 sets of 25 calf raises, 3 sets of 15 sit ups and 3 sets of 12 push ups.

Struggled on all apart from the calf raises, will be looking to increase squats to 12 reps or 5 sets, calf raises to 30 reps, sit ups to 20 reps and push ups to 15 reps or 4 sets.

The good thing is these four exercises were on my original workout, so I only missed out on bench press and bicep curls. Should I catch them up in my workout on Thursday or just leave them till next week?

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Got in a small bodyweight workout in my room, did 4 sets off 10 squats, 5 sets of 25 calf raises, 3 sets of 15 sit ups and 3 sets of 12 push ups.

Struggled on all apart from the calf raises, will be looking to increase squats to 12 reps or 5 sets, calf raises to 30 reps, sit ups to 20 reps and push ups to 15 reps or 4 sets.

The good thing is these four exercises were on my original workout, so I only missed out on bench press and bicep curls. Should I catch them up in my workout on Thursday or just leave them till next week?
Do you want to get fitter or or increase your power ? ....ps get those lost reps in ...in your next workout..

Julian87

State Captain
FMD

You can have the edge if you are 20 kgs overweight. Less fitness/strength training, more hand eye co-ordination excercises me thinks.

Jakester1288

International Regular
FMD

You can have the edge if you are 20 kgs overweight. Less fitness/strength training, more hand eye co-ordination excercises me thinks.
Mark Cosgrove to agree. :ph34r:

I do some batting against the eye in on Wednesday afternoons in my schedule, have you got any other ideas for hand eye co-ordination exercises?

Last edited:

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Get Fit First then add Power

I want to get fitter and increase my power.
Jakster as the title suggests.....get fit first....conditioning is all important.....get fit first that means toning....

less weight and more reps....10-12 ideal...stay away from heavy weights whilst increasing fitness/tone/conditioning = all 1 in the same.....

once you've done this then switch to power and larger weights.

can you quess the difference when doing power sets???

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Body weight exercises are great. They'll really help your balance and co-ordination too.

Don't know much beyond hearsay on whether it's dangerous to do weights when you're young. Goughy or T_C would probably know a bit about it.

readie

State Regular
If you want I could write you up a gun fitness/training plan for someone you're age. Seriously all you need at the moment is strength exercises which use you're own body weight until you can't struggle with you're own weight. Pushups, Situps, Chin ups etc all use you're own body weight and you dont risk over exerting yourself and screwing your growth plates etc. If you can get yourself a strong base of core strength and basic strength and power from pushups, chinups, sprints etc when you start getting into you're teens you'll have an edge because you're mates will have to spend time building their core strength and you won't and can get straight into improvement.

Drills wise anything which trains you're body into using correct technical movements in facets of the game are paramount. Work on hand eye co-ordination with the golf ball drill on different surfaces, my old joint had a tile patio and a concrete slab with a brick wall the smooth surface trains you're body to get into a rhytmn of picking up the ball with you're vision and ties movements to what you say as you practice reducing reaction times etc.The uneven surface is good too but only to break it up becaus eif you overuse it it will throw you're rhythm out and do u more harm than good.

Batting wise nothing beats a ball on a string and practicing footwork and timing of soft shots thats if like me u dont have a ball machine and someone to feed it religiously which is better than all.

I wasa ****house bowler so i'd be the last bloke to talk to tbh though

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you want I could write you up a gun fitness/training plan for someone you're age. Seriously all you need at the moment is strength exercises which use you're own body weight until you can't struggle with you're own weight. Pushups, Situps, Chin ups etc all use you're own body weight and you dont risk over exerting yourself and screwing your growth plates etc. If you can get yourself a strong base of core strength and basic strength and power from pushups, chinups, sprints etc when you start getting into you're teens you'll have an edge because you're mates will have to spend time building their core strength and you won't and can get straight into improvement.

Drills wise anything which trains you're body into using correct technical movements in facets of the game are paramount. Work on hand eye co-ordination with the golf ball drill on different surfaces, my old joint had a tile patio and a concrete slab with a brick wall the smooth surface trains you're body to get into a rhytmn of picking up the ball with you're vision and ties movements to what you say as you practice reducing reaction times etc.The uneven surface is good too but only to break it up becaus eif you overuse it it will throw you're rhythm out and do u more harm than good.

Batting wise nothing beats a ball on a string and practicing footwork and timing of soft shots thats if like me u dont have a ball machine and someone to feed it religiously which is better than all.

I wasa ****house bowler so i'd be the last bloke to talk to tbh though
That would be gun.

I can't actually think of anywhere I can do chin ups around here TBH, I used to be able to do it on the old set of swings we had but they went when my sister and I grew up.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha yeah, I actually really like doing chin ups, but have nowhere to do them either.