• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling finger spin

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I want to be a part time off spinner. I have been bowling off spin for about two years. I would like to know what are the different variations i could bowl apart from my stock ball. And also what are the small things i could do to improve my spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming you are a off break bowler

Stock off break - seam is usually tilted 45 degrees towrds leg side on rotation. This will give good spin and bounce for stock ball. Your stock ball should be the most dangerous one. If you tilt it more towards on side, it will spin more, but will be slow off the pitch - side spinner. If you tilt it less, it will spit off the pitch, but less spin - over spinner.

The ball that is release in front of the hand like a seamer is the arm ball. This ball will be quicker and flatter, and if bowled properly, will swing away from the right hander. (See Sanath Jayasuriya's arm ball). There is another arm ball, where you extend the wrist slightly at the point of delivery so the shiny surface of the ball will hit the pitch. For this, rough side shoud be facind the batsman. You just undercut the spin with our wrist. This ball will look very similar to a off break, will drift, drop but will not turn. (ex. Shakib Al Hasan)

Then Doosra, carrom ball etc . . Who c ares if you can bowl above four?

jathu

Since i bowl off spin... I was thinking of bowling with the leg side theory (pitching the ball on leg and making him play towards my leg fielders) so how should I set my fielding positions for my off spin using the leg side theory?What are the essential fielding positions? And also would it be better to bowl flat or flight spin whilst using the leg side theory?

Jakester1288

International Regular
I don't agree with that. I would be putting it on or outside off stump and making them play, bowling down leg will get you smashed for four. A leg spinner could excute it much better as well, as you cannot leave them on or outside your legs as often as off spinners. Plus, you spin it further down leg, so personally I wouldn't do that.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Jathu, i have to agree with Jackster

bowling down leg is very defensive - and will only lead to wickets through batsman errors.

putting the ball outside off stump will cause the batter to play against the spin, this is more aggressive and will lead to more wickets...

Jemile8-)

jathu

Well,alright I will try to bowl on off...now I want to know how I can ensure many wickets along with few runs off my bowling i.e fielding positions, length...

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well,alright I will try to bowl on off...now I want to know how I can ensure many wickets along with few runs off my bowling i.e fielding positions, length...
Always good to have a short cover or if you are allowed, a short leg. Short leg is better than silly mid off, because the ball is spinning towards the right hands batsmens legs, giving more inside edges and stuff. Pitch it full, invite the drive, and toss it above the batsmens eye level.

Julian87

State Captain
Have to disagree there. If you are a part timer, just bowl tight, but give the ball a rip and have a tight field. Entice the rash shot, not many part timers get away with fielders under the nose, especially part time finger spinners.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Julian and Jakster you both

have valid points...

but for personally i think.... it depends on the wicket, is it taking spin before you employ such a attacking field ???

if it is then aggressive fielders are good.....but if not then bowl patiently and build pressure...

pressure = frustration = poor decisions = wickets