• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need few tips with my bowling!

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys,
I'm a 14 year old right arm medium bowler..
Lately i'm finding i keep getting hit over the top because i'm pitching it up to much but when i try to put it on a length i end up putting it in to short and they pull it off there hips all the time..
How do i stop this happening??
Also how many metres from the stumps is a good length to bowl on to get the batsmen in two minds of going foward or back??
Any tips with pace bowling would be greatly appreciated..:cool:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hugely dependant on your pace, height, conditions, etc. However, would rather being hit over the top for overpitching, rather than bowling short.

luffy

International Captain
But being 14 years old, probs just bowl it about 5 metres away from the batter.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hitting the top of off, depending on how high you make the ball bounce you have to find out where a good length is for you.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As Ian Pont says, length is just a matter of when you let go of the ball. Let go too late and it's too short. Try working on releasing the ball a little bit earlier.

Oh and look at the spot on the pitch you want the ball to land.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
One thing you should make sure you do to get a bit of extra "zip" in your bowling.. during your delivery stride make sure your left arm comes right up high pointing in the direction you want the ball to go.. as this happens lean back a little and then co=ordinate your left arm coming down hard with your actual right arm bowling action. You'll be surprised with the result and then make that the basis of your action..

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
I agree with jakester, you want the ball to be coming through at a height of stump high at the batsmen. The only advice i can think of is practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Bowling a little bit full of a length can be alright if you can swing the ball around. I dont know if you swing the ball much but i think its a great weapon to have, especially if you bowl it full enough. It is better to pitch the ball up than keep dropping it short. You could set out a target on the pitch on roughly a length and try aiming for that. Working out a good length, you could take a batting stance, striding out to play a drive and work out where you would not want the ball to be pitched on. That should give you a rough indication of a good length.

There are some useful cricket tips on bowling at this link if your interested which may help you.
Cricket Articles

Good luck champ.

jainy25

Cricket Spectator
Even I used to have a similar problem getting hit over the ground. And I am a 14 year old right arm Medium pacer as well. What I did change was my action. I don't know how it worked but I am pitching the ball fine now. What I advice you is perhaps try to bowl with a little bit of modification in your action ( try to bowl according to the action which is comfortable to you).

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Thanks guys.. And yes i do swing the ball fairly good, i'm an outswing bowler to the right hander.. Once again thanks for all the help.. I'll be spending alot of time at the nets too.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Oh also.. I can only swing it outwards and when i hold the rough side into the right hander it doesnt swing.. Is it my action?? Or what am i doing wrong???

Shivan

Cricket Spectator
Try and open up you action a little by not going too side-on but keeping your shoulder inline with your hips. On follow through, make sure your bowling arm finishes on the left of your left leg. This allows you arm to have a sort of diagonal motion; so, the seam faces fine leg.

Hope this helps - not an expert though, and the explanation is not really there (my poor English).

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Try and open up you action a little by not going too side-on but keeping your shoulder inline with your hips. On follow through, make sure your bowling arm finishes on the left of your left leg. This allows you arm to have a sort of diagonal motion; so, the seam faces fine leg.

Hope this helps - not an expert though, and the explanation is not really there (my poor English).
So side on bowlers usually swing it away and front on bowlers are more in swing bowlers your saying??

Jakester1288

International Regular
Oh also.. I can only swing it outwards and when i hold the rough side into the right hander it doesnt swing.. Is it my action?? Or what am i doing wrong???
I was the same, before the school holidays, I felt my action changing and then bang, I tried a inswinger and it went a mile. Everything just clicked, and I started bowling them in the nets every day, practicing putting them on a fullish length so it threatens the batsmens gap between bat and pad. Last game before the holidays I bowled a screamer from outside off stump that hit leg stump, that's got to be one of the best feelings, getting a batsmen out like that.

So side on bowlers usually swing it away and front on bowlers are more in swing bowlers your saying??
Indeed.

Shivan

Cricket Spectator
I am not to sure about this. Many people (numerous sources) say that the action does not determine the swing. However, I believe that, indeed, front-on bowlers tend to inswing more than the side-on bowler. A front-on bowler just has to hold the seam straight (angled perpendicular to the batsmen), and as long as the bowler's hand ends up on the out side of his opposing leg (i.e. right hand on the left of the left leg; left hand on the right of the right leg.), the ball will swing into the right handed batmen from a right hand bowler. Nevertheless, side-on bowlers can inswing and outswing, as well as front-on bowlers having the ability to swing in both directions.

If this doesn't work, you could try something with your wrists (or fingers). With your fingers, after release, try and make the ball backspin with the seam on an angle (towards fine leg).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
DO NOT TRY TO MESS AROUND WITH YOUR ACTION TO SWING IT DIFFERENT WAYS

Cannot be much clearer on that. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you are headed down the route of a mixed action, a buggered back and a career that doesn't go past your 20s.

Action and Wrist Position (i.e. **** of wrist and angle of seam) are both the biggest contributors to the way you end up swinging the ball. Rough/Shiny or yellow/red makes a small difference to what you get but you will, for the most part, swing it one way. A side on action will for the most part create away swing (e.g. Hoggard, Lee, Vaas) and a front-on action in swing (e.g. Flintoff). There are of course exceptions to this (e.g. Nel: front on, away swing).

A better variation for an away swing bowler is an off-cutter or just a slower ball: a better course of action than completely messing your action up is to practice with little things - grip (width of fingers, depth in hand, thumb on/thumb off, angle of run, using the crease...) and develop accuracy and control.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Guys, i was at the nets yesterday for training and change a few things with my bowling. When i'm running in and just before i bowl ive started to lean back a little before i start my action and now i'm bowling on a length and hitting the top of off and also out of nowhere ive started to swing it into the right hander as well as away! Soo Happy!

timet

Cricket Spectator
A few bowling tips for you

Hey guys,
I'm a 14 year old right arm medium bowler..
Lately i'm finding i keep getting hit over the top because i'm pitching it up to much but when i try to put it on a length i end up putting it in to short and they pull it off there hips all the time..
How do i stop this happening??
Also how many metres from the stumps is a good length to bowl on to get the batsmen in two minds of going foward or back??
Any tips with pace bowling would be greatly appreciated..:cool:

My take on this is that batsmen are not respecting you, and are taking advantage of your moderate pace. I would suggest doing some training to become a fast bowler. There are two main ways of achieving this:

1. Improve your bowling technique: A good bowling action will help you bowl faster, and also more accurately. Try things like pulling down with your front arm as well as getting a good rhythm when you bowl (achieved by a smooth and steady approach to the wicket)

2. Improve your physical attributes: Train your speed (with sprint drills) as well as your strength (push-ups and chin ups). This will improve your ability to bowl well, and also your overall atheletism.

Also consider mixing up your deliveries, and adding variety to your bowling. Have a look at this website on cricket bowling tips and tricks for this.