Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need few tips with my bowling!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dezza1994 View Post
    Oh also.. I can only swing it outwards and when i hold the rough side into the right hander it doesnt swing.. Is it my action?? Or what am i doing wrong???
    The rough/shiny side thing doesn't really make that much difference. It's which way you tilt the seam. Matthew Hoggard can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

So side on bowlers usually swing it away and front on bowlers are more in swing bowlers your saying??
    I am not to sure about this. Many people (numerous sources) say that the action does not determine the swing. However, I believe that, indeed, front-on bowlers tend to inswing more than the side-on bowler. A front-on bowler just has to hold the seam straight (angled perpendicular to the batsmen), and as long as the bowler's hand ends up on the out side of his opposing leg (i.e. right hand on the left of the left leg; left hand on the right of the right leg.), the ball will swing into the right handed batmen from a right hand bowler. Nevertheless, side-on bowlers can inswing and outswing, as well as front-on bowlers having the ability to swing in both directions.

If this doesn't work, you could try something with your wrists (or fingers). With your fingers, after release, try and make the ball backspin with the seam on an angle (towards fine leg).
    Support:
    • Black Caps,
    • State Central Stags.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    DO NOT TRY TO MESS AROUND WITH YOUR ACTION TO SWING IT DIFFERENT WAYS

Cannot be much clearer on that. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you are headed down the route of a mixed action, a buggered back and a career that doesn't go past your 20s.

Action and Wrist Position (i.e. cock of wrist and angle of seam) are both the biggest contributors to the way you end up swinging the ball. Rough/Shiny or yellow/red makes a small difference to what you get but you will, for the most part, swing it one way. A side on action will for the most part create away swing (e.g. Hoggard, Lee, Vaas) and a front-on action in swing (e.g. Flintoff). There are of course exceptions to this (e.g. Nel: front on, away swing).

A better variation for an away swing bowler is an off-cutter or just a slower ball: a better course of action than completely messing your action up is to practice with little things - grip (width of fingers, depth in hand, thumb on/thumb off, angle of run, using the crease...) and develop accuracy and control.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Spectator
    Guys, i was at the nets yesterday for training and change a few things with my bowling. When i'm running in and just before i bowl ive started to lean back a little before i start my action and now i'm bowling on a length and hitting the top of off and also out of nowhere ive started to swing it into the right hander as well as away! Soo Happy!

A few bowling tips for you

Hey guys,
    I'm a 14 year old right arm medium bowler..
    Lately i'm finding i keep getting hit over the top because i'm pitching it up to much but when i try to put it on a length i end up putting it in to short and they pull it off there hips all the time..
    How do i stop this happening??
    Also how many metres from the stumps is a good length to bowl on to get the batsmen in two minds of going foward or back??
    Any tips with pace bowling would be greatly appreciated..

My take on this is that batsmen are not respecting you, and are taking advantage of your moderate pace. I would suggest doing some training to become a fast bowler. There are two main ways of achieving this:

1. Improve your bowling technique: A good bowling action will help you bowl faster, and also more accurately. Try things like pulling down with your front arm as well as getting a good rhythm when you bowl (achieved by a smooth and steady approach to the wicket)

2. Improve your physical attributes: Train your speed (with sprint drills) as well as your strength (push-ups and chin ups). This will improve your ability to bowl well, and also your overall atheletism.

Also consider mixing up your deliveries, and adding variety to your bowling. Have a look at this website on cricket bowling tips and tricks for this.

Cricket Spectator
    Hey guys,
    I'm a 14 year old right arm medium bowler..
    Lately i'm finding i keep getting hit over the top because i'm pitching it up to much but when i try to put it on a length i end up putting it in to short and they pull it off there hips all the time..
    How do i stop this happening??
    Also how many metres from the stumps is a good length to bowl on to get the batsmen in two minds of going foward or back??
    Any tips with pace bowling would be greatly appreciated..
    i think there is a lack of practice, if this is nt the reason then ur speed may be slow enough so that batsman got enough tym to smash it straight or over the midwicket position,,,,,, to enhance ur speed u need to hav proper diet,follow through,n stretching of ur body

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information