• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which bat?

Cricket09

Cricket Spectator
I'm an 18 year old aggressive lower order batsmen looking to establish myself as an effective middle order no. 4 or 5. My best shots are straight and cover drive and am looking for a bat with a great middle a weight of around 2 10 to 3 lbs but doesnt feel too heavy. Any suggestions for the best make or model to use.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Bats are all about feel, so suggesting a specific make and weight online is probably not sensible. However, one piece of advice I would give, the pick-up of a bat is far more important than its given weight. For example, a heavey bat of good quality willow could feel more comfortable than a a lighter bat made of low quality wood.

I would also suggest you always feel a bat if possible before buying it.

Cricket09

Cricket Spectator
I've used MRFs and they do have a really nice middle gd suggestion thank you but was thinking more of a GM, Gray Nicholls or Newberry with a smoother pick up

Cricket09

Cricket Spectator
Completely agree with what ur saying ozone but have bought bats based on feel and they have turned out to be bad selections cracking after a season, so my aim is really to find a good reliable bat which meets my style

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
Best advice is going to a shop and feeling the bats yourself. The Bradbury Sterling is a pretty fine bat, has a good pick-up. Unless if the bat isnt knocked in properly, the bradbury will last a lifetime.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In the end, buying bats really does end up being a bit of a lottery. Tend to find that the smaller makers; the Newbery, Bradbury, Fisher, Salix's of the world end up providing more consistent quality of sticks. You are much less likely to get a real dud off them, than your major manufacturers.

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
I know ive mentioned this before but i believe the bradbury bats to be some of the best bats in the world. Its a big statement but i know that some of the australian team uses bradbury bats. David Hussey for one uses a bradbury bat, even though he has put the grey nicolls nitro stickers on it..............presumely as part of a new contract.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can't argue - the Bradbury base up in Somerset was a frequent destination for several club mates and county players when I lived in Exeter. Never remember picking up a bad Bradbury blade..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I remember being told how all the top players use Fishers, Newberys, etc. with their own stickers on it, but I've never actually seen that happen at all.

tommothepommo

Cricket Spectator
My Woodworm Megabite has one the best pickups in my team, it has an extremely good meat and the ball goes far from the slightest touch. Highly recommended

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Too heavy for your age mate I'd go a Laver & Wood firefly at small mens weight..

2'6 would be the go you would get so much more wood on every delivery than a 2'10