• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg Spin

completeNZer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi im 16 and have been a batsman for quite some time, alot of coaches have said I'm talented but I just don't seem to score runs, so I have decided to have one last crack @ playing top level cricket in the form of a leggie which I could be veery good @ if I became more consistant, I can bowl all the balls except the flipper but am very up and down. Would just like some tips and honest opinions on my chances starting spin so late.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There is nothing wrong to coming to spinning late.

In fact (as with fast bowling) it may be an advantage as you will not be over coached and still have a rawness.

Id seriously concentrate on the leg break. You need as much mastery of this 1 ball as possible before adding variations.

A heavily spun accurate leg break is the foundation and that needs to be rock solid before building on it.

I wouldnt be concerned with flippers etc to start with.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, the simple off break as a variation often works well at low levels if there is no change in load up.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The flipper is a nightmare to learn. I find it hard to believe anyone can bowl it tbh. If you really want variation, the easiest to bowl is the googly, but i wouldn't even bother with that to start with because you might find yourself unable to bowl a leg-break. I speak from experience :mellow:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The flipper is a nightmare to learn. I find it hard to believe anyone can bowl it tbh. If you really want variation, the easiest to bowl is the googly, but i wouldn't even bother with that to start with because you might find yourself unable to bowl a leg-break. I speak from experience :mellow:
I used to be able to bowl one when I was about 16. Only landed about 2 in 5, but it's still probably my best moment when I got a wicket with it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There is nothing wrong to coming to spinning late.

In fact (as with fast bowling) it may be an advantage as you will not be over coached and still have a rawness.

Id seriously concentrate on the leg break. You need as much mastery of this 1 ball as possible before adding variations.

A heavily spun accurate leg break is the foundation and that needs to be rock solid before building on it.

I wouldnt be concerned with flippers etc to start with.
This.

thierry henry

International Coach
I have always semi-secretly wanted to be a leg-spinner but never had the guts to go through with it. Instead I played cricket to a middling standard (school First XI, club under 18s, etc) as a very accurate military medium pacer and resolute blocker.

I still remember one training session when I was about 14 where, for whatever reason, I plucked up the courage to bowl a few leg-breaks while some of the premier team/rep coaches were watching. I proceeded to beat the outside edge and received the most appreciative comments I think I ever received from coaches for my bowling in my life (generally I would bowl something like 5 overs for 5 runs and a wicket, then get taken out of the attack because I was boring everyone).

If you are going to take up something late in life as a cricketer, I think spin is the go. Pretty much every competent cricketer can bowl spin to an extent, in my experience. I really think if you are an intelligent cricketer you can succeed in it without amazing physical gifts (although I'm sure they help!).

Jammy Dodgers

Cricket Spectator
legspin for some its a nak but others its not. I got into cricket after the 05 ashes series and watching shane warne I was 15 or 16 and I was hooked. I agree with goughy. The leg break is your bread and butter ball. Its not just one delivery that spin from leg but there are so many variations of it, speed, flight, angle, amount of turn, line, lenght ect. It don't mean that you can't try a wrong un or flipper etc but don't let it become ur stock ball.

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Which Flipper are you on about as there's several variants, some of which have been lost to history virtually unless you can get yourself a copy of Clarrie Grimmetts 'Taking Wickets' circa 1930. The side spun - out of the front of the hand to produce an Off-Break I find the most difficult. The Wrong - Wrong Un is another tricky one but the others are do-able, but they're the same as most wrist spin techniques, you simply have to put in hours and hours of practice to get them right. The Top-Spinning Flipper's a good ball (Grimmetts 'Mystery Ball), but a lot of people say it's impossible to bowl over 22 yards, it's not impossible, it's a useful variation, just needs shed loads of work to get it.

But I'm in agreement with the rest of you. Ignore all the other variations till you can bowl the Leg Break well, that on it's own will usually see you the top wicket taker at your club in no time. be careful with the wrong un when you start to learn it. Get a copy of Peter Philpotts book 'The Art of wrist spin bowling' and be prepared to put in the hours practicing.