• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Too old to start playing competitive cricket?

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Hey guys, I'm new here :)

I am 17 and really keen on getting into competitive cricket. A lot of you might think 17 is not too old, but I am not sure.

Obviously I am never going to play for Australia or even my state, but it would be awesome to get into some grade cricket. I have some friends play and they are pretty good, however they have been playing competitively at some level for 5 or so years, whereas I have never played past backyard cricket except a bit of indoor cricket a few years ago.

I am not someone who is naturally gifted at sport or naturally gifted at cricket. I'm one of those guys who always does well at backyard cricket against others who don't play, but gets belted by friends who play cricket.

I was just wondering what you guys reckoned, and if you had any advice on how to go about getting into some cricket.

Thanks

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest, it is a blessing in disguise to start playing cricket in your late teens. Rather than have bad habits from previous years of competitive cricket, you can start afresh and really look to teach yourself the right habits from the off.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
Funny enough, I'm in the same position. I've never played club as I've always preferred to have my summers off due to playing for up to 3 teams in the Winter (rugby). For the past two years I've been planning on preparing myself for next summer in which I will have finished school and I'll need something to do! :)

In the meantime it's just a matter of building up my shoulder muscles (I'm a spin bowler) and non-stop backyard action.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The key here is finding a low enough grade team where you won't be out of place and will be selected, but one that has a decent coaching staff so there are people around that can pass down the skills required.

Sadly, I know nothing about club cricket in Tasmania, but you could do worse than contact the local cricket association and ask for details about local clubs.

Its certainly not too late to start playing, so go for it.

Ace♠♠♠

Cricket Spectator
I'm 17 now and played my first club season at the start of the season. My stats aren't great, but I've loved every minute of it.

Woodster

International Captain
At 17 you have plenty of time to start playing cricket. Finding the right level is important so you can enjoy your cricket but also have that competitive edge that you will get with and against players of a similar ability. If you start out of your depth, a) you may not last very long in the side and b) you will lose interest pretty quickly.

Good luck and definitely give it a try!

blocka

Cricket Spectator
I'm in a similar predicament, used to play juniors up untill i was 16 then had to give it away due to school and work, now I have really got the bug to go back and play next summer but am unsure if at 23, I am too old to start playing again?
Opinions?

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm in a similar predicament, used to play juniors up untill i was 16 then had to give it away due to school and work, now I have really got the bug to go back and play next summer but am unsure if at 23, I am too old to start playing again?
Opinions?
Definitely not. In my team we have guys nearing 60, you don't have to play high levels to have fun.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Your not too old to play cricket. Greg Matthews is still playing Grade cricket at 49. You could start at 30 and still play for 20 years if your fit enough :)

Jakester1288

International Regular
Your not too old to play cricket. Greg Matthews is still playing Grade cricket at 49. You could start at 30 and still play for 20 years if your fit enough :)
That's first grade as well, matching it with the best from Sydney. He turns 50 this year.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Play

Hi dude, just play get out there..get some practice in and then play ...enjoy it ..always enjoy it....don't worry about the other stuff...fun comes first..

IRS927

Cricket Spectator
Hey! No you are definately not too old, it all depends on you, what you believe and remember what you truly believe about yourself is always true, so if you really feel like playing cricket and dont believe your too old then you are definately not.

There are boys in India that have gone from back-yard cricket to First-class cricket in two years because they have spent literally day and night at their academies working more than 10hours per day,

You can do it, The difference between any dream and accomplishment is purely desire, its just about how important it is for you and what price you as an indivisual are willing to pay,

If you want to you can, the answer is very simple: DO WHATEVER IT TAKES

srkven

Cricket Spectator
Nah, 17 is definately alright :)

I started when I was 11, but I know people who start when they are 20.