• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to oil bat correctly?

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys.
Got a new bat and got to oil it..
It says to oil it 6 times before knocking in..
Do i need to sand it in between those 6 oilings or not?
And how do i avoid the stickers? Can i go nearly right to the stickers?
Help needed asap?
Please
Cheers

Jakester1288

International Regular
I use an old cloth with the bat oil, and apply it. Do the front and edges, and toe if you don't have a toeguard. Avoid the splice, and it doesn't really matter if you touch the stickers a little bit. To see if you have done too much, hold the bat vertical and see if any oil runs down the face. If it doesn't, continue. Cover all the spots apart from stickers and splice. Leave it overnight (or through the day) and do the back of the bat the next day (or the same night). Repeat as many times as needed.

Also, every 3 months sand it then give it another coat. You don't need to sand it when you first get it though.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Ok thanks mate.. Also how many times should i oil it before i begin to knock it in? And how many hours does it take to dry so i can oil it again? I oil it about 6 pm tonight for the first time and it seems dry so do you reckon i'd be able to oil it about 11 pm before i go too bed?

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Thanks mate..
I didnt think you oiled the shoulder bits of the bat but he did in the video so i will.. Lol
Thanks
Cheers