• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowling

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
Hi i posted about 6 months ago regarding my bowling sadly the camera quality wasn't good enough for you to see the problems. I also got told to rest a few months and hey my back fixed so thanks. I've just turned 15

With a new high quality camera i headed back to the nets yesterday for the first time in months, i managed to get some videos and put them on youtube.
My problem is my very poor run up i must lose tonnes of pace through poor rythem, but i have other that you might be able to identify
I reckon my action is pretty bad but i still generate good pace through a natural fast arm. Also what sort of pace is it?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MZOHeYZYG1s&fmt=18

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At first glance, your follow through doesn't look quite like it's natural, which might be why it doesn't feel as rhythmic as you'd like it to. Plenty there to work with though.

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
At first glance, your follow through doesn't look quite like it's natural, which might be why it doesn't feel as rhythmic as you'd like it to. Plenty there to work with though.
Hmmmm
yeah i seem to break down aswell just before i bowl. Still create a decent pace mind which makes me think if i sort my ryhtham out i could be very good.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
We can't really judge the pace as that's gone head high off a length but it looks pretty sharp to me, perhaps 65-70mph.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Ill get a chance to break this down in more detail in the near future. Ive just got time to post a few honest thoughts right now.

I started watching the runup and I thought "jeez, and other one of the unathletic that wants to bowl fast". The runup was slow, rigid, lacking in purpose and looked really awkward.

Then you bowled the ball and you rocked it. :) The action is strong, explosive and athletic and the ball certainly has zip. The left side of the body opens up nicely to 'whip' the right side through.

I have issues with the head position but that has a lot to do with lack of balance and having to 'muscle' the ball down as the runup little impact.

I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised. There is real potential there. :)

Just get more aggressive in the run up and have your head coming down towards the batsman rather than flopping around.

Good job.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully Ill get a chance to break this down in more detail in the near future. Ive just got time to post a few honest thoughts right now.

I started watching the runup and I thought "jeez, and other one of the unathletic that wants to bowl fast". The runup was slow, rigid, lacking in purpose and looked really awkward.

Then you bowled the ball and you rocked it. :) The action is strong, explosive and athletic and the ball certainly has zip. The left side of the body opens up nicely to 'whip' the right side through.

I have issues with the head position but that has a lot to do with lack of balance and having to 'muscle' the ball down as the runup little impact.

I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised. There is real potential there. :)

Just get more aggressive in the run up and have your head coming down towards the batsman rather than flopping around.

Good job.
What pace do you reckon that is? He's probably one of the quickest 15 year olds I've seen bowl.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It didn't seem desperately fast - couldn't have been due to the lack of rhythm and unity in the action, but it wasn't slow either. I have certainly faced and kept to quicker 15-year-olds: it struck me as low(-mid) 60s.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It didn't seem desperately fast - couldn't have been due to the lack of rhythm and unity in the action, but it wasn't slow either. I have certainly faced and kept to quicker 15-year-olds: it struck me as low(-mid) 60s.
Not too many 15 year olds quicker than that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What pace do you reckon that is? He's probably one of the quickest 15 year olds I've seen bowl.
To be quite honest, I dont know. I wouldnt be comfortable putting a number on it (nor anyone else for that matter).

It certainly looks decent pace for his age.

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
So the impression i get is with a much better and fluent run-up i could generate more pace and become a much better bowler?

to be honest my run-up is pretty awful my dad once counted the steps over 6 balls and it was very inconsistant, it varied in steps from 11 to 16. I must lose so much from my bad run-up. Also bowlers with good run-ups always get seen as a much better bowler.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So the impression i get is with a much better and fluent run-up i could generate more pace and become a much better bowler?

to be honest my run-up is pretty awful my dad once counted the steps over 6 balls and it was very inconsistant, it varied in steps from 11 to 16. I must lose so much from my bad run-up. Also bowlers with good run-ups always get seen as a much better bowler.
Unfortunately that is spot on. Perception does play a large role.

Your runup needs to get more aggressive and purposeful.

As it stands, no matter how you bowl, many people will se you as a project rather than a rounded bowler.

Its actually a positive as you possess an action that generates pace and an area or 2 that you can work on.

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
Your run up needs a lot of work. Though I was pleasantly surprised by your action. Though imo that also needs work.

Try the old lillee way and go to an open field and just run with your eyes closed and bowl when you feel right. Do that a few times and have someone mark where you're finishing. Average that out and that'll be your best run up.

Furthermore - start with small steps and gradually build up and get into your action when you are at top speed. Also start with a forward lean and ending with a slight lean back/catapult/unwind, etc as you release the ball. Having your wrists corked and following through strongly is also important.

Your follow though is almost nonexistent but that's good! That means you can still add pace and you're still young.

I probably bowled around same pace at your age and have become quicker just by making little changes without changing my natural action.

Good luck.

pako007

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
tip

you need to get it up and down. dont throw your front arm, get it up and bring it down, try to bend it minimal. you got this tip okay its nice ur action is quite similar to steve Harmison. if you try this it works as a trigger and you will be able to bowl faster.
also keep your body tight when you run up. you dont do this. your approach needs to be closer and you should follow trhough to your target, you fall over and follow through very wide. if you keep your body tight you wont fall over, and concentrate on your target. your pace is quite good. i hope it will help you, if its vague i can clarify it if you ask.

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
camera angle

personally i could help as i can't see your action properly ....the side on angle was correct but get the camera 3-5 yards away ......i'll be able to give you some great advice then