• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting please help me

conorules

Cricket Spectator
when i bat in a game im too scared to play a shot if its on the stumps so i block it and don't score much runs each game what can i do to help me play the shot

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You don't need to start playing shots to balls that are on the stumps.

I am guessing that you are fairly young - in age group cricket you get plenty of balls that are off the stumps, and they are the ones that need to be hit. Hard.

Look at working on one or two shots (pull and cut, perhaps, or pull and drive), and get very good at hitting those: then when you get the loose balls, you can punish them.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Totally agree.

Also, see it as a challenge. So what if you get out? See how well you can play if you give yourself the chance.

Good luck!

conorules

Cricket Spectator
You don't need to start playing shots to balls that are on the stumps.

I am guessing that you are fairly young - in age group cricket you get plenty of balls that are off the stumps, and they are the ones that need to be hit. Hard.

Look at working on one or two shots (pull and cut, perhaps, or pull and drive), and get very good at hitting those: then when you get the loose balls, you can punish them.
Thanks but my only problem is i'm in the highest division so aren't many loose ones but i'll try

Jakester1288

International Regular
Balls on the stumps are not always the best. Middle stump is straight, and can be hit straight or through the mid on/midwicket region. On leg stump, they can be hit almost anywhere on the leg side. Off stump, if pitched up, can be driven, but generally I wouldn't look to score of those balls. Off stump is a good line, and will get plenty of wickets, so watch out for those ones.

Cricket09

Cricket Spectator
I'd always advise to just play straight. I would advise a ball on off stump should be treated with respect and blocked. If on off stump the most effective shot is just pushing the ball with a straight bat down the ground, with good timing there is no need to hit the ball to hard. Anything on the leg stump can also be played with a straight bat if the foot movement is correct angle your foot to were you want the ball to go.