• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening the batting

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How do you tell if someone is a genuine opener?What are the charecteristics of an opener?Also what would be the best ways to face the new ball and problems such as unorthodox bounce and swing in both directions?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, they can vary. Some are rock solid, defensive, good technique, slow scoring run machines, whilst some are free the arms, hit the ball out of the park type.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Also what would be the best ways to face the new ball and problems such as unorthodox bounce and swing in both directions?
Play the ball as late as possible, be very sure about your footwork (which means reading length well) and watching the ball as closely as possible all the way onto your bat.

Jakester1288

International Regular
So then how would you differentiate between an opener and a no.3 or 4?
Number 3 or 4 are more there to score runs, usually your best batsmen should go in these positions. The openers should take shine off the ball, and score a few runs as well, but mainly set things up for the middle order.

jathu

What guard should an opener take and what shots should he play during the early overs of the innings whilst the ball is still new

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Biggest thing for me technically (as well as the obvious things for any good bat), and it's more critical the higher level you get to, is the ability to play off the back foot well against the harder, quicker bounce of the new ball: whether you merely survive short bowling or counter-attack with cuts and pulls, you must have a way of dealing with it.

Mentally the ability to construct and pace your innings is also important: I do think most good batsmen would be technically able to open the batting if they were mentally prepared to do it - from a young age there is often a stigma attached to it, and it's one that I do try to erase in my sides.

Jakester1288

International Regular
What guard should an opener take and what shots should he play during the early overs of the innings whilst the ball is still new
It's up to them personally what guard they take. When and if I open, I take middle. I take that whenever I bat, except for when I am hitting out.

When the ball if new, old or in alright condition, you must play every ball on it's merits (unless you are paying Twenty20's or something). Using the extra pace on the ball early is important, and leaving balls you don't need to play at is something I like to do, to minimize the effect the swing has on you.

99*

International Debutant
When I open I take middle on a flat wicket and off on a green/swinging pitch.

Early on try to play as straight as possible, keep your head above the ball as you strike it and play as late as you can. Get close to the pitch of the ball as well. If you're getting lots of short balls or ones where you can't play off the front foot it's best to just block, since most bowlers will try and cramp you up if you get too expansive.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Type of batsman I look for is someone who is strong between mid off and mid on. This means that they can counter straight bowling, and let anything go that doesn't need to be hit through this region.

As Neil alluded to, having some sort of plan against back foot bowling is needed, but the first thing I look for is the ability to play straight.

jathu

When opening would it be better to use a heavier bat or lighter bat? Whats the advantage of using an oval handled bat?

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
When opening would it be better to use a heavier bat or lighter bat? Whats the advantage of using an oval handled bat?
It depends.. Light-Medium bats are for more of the stroke makers and heavey bats are usually for the big hitters like Symonds.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Oval handed bats are all about the feel of the batsman, no technical advantage about them.

General rule of thumb with regards to weight of bats is that the heavier bats are for those who are strong playing straight, whilst lighter bats are for those who are more interested in cross-bat shots.

Redbacks

International Captain
Leaving more balls alone than usual is a good trait for opening the batting so a good knowledge of where your stumps are is key. When I first started opening I would spend one of my nets a week practicing leaving balls until I felt comfortable with my own instincts of what to play or leave.

bryce

International Regular
Yeah, to add to the above ideally they would need to have a good understanding of where their off stump is and be able to stick around at the crease for extended periods

ozone

First Class Debutant
A higher backlift shouldn't be something which your average opener adds to there armoury if it isn't a natural thing.

The basic mechanics of it are that a higher backlift means more speed can be generated and so the ball comes off the bat faster. However, against quick bowlers, it often makes it harder to get the bat down in time as it requires quicker hands than usual.

Brian Lara is the person who comes to mind whose backlift was particularly higher than usual, however, many players find a medium between Lara and a normal backlift, and if you intend to work this into your technique, it would be this medium which I would advise.

Another tip - if you want to work a higher backlift into your technique, I suggest you start from a more upright position than normal, i.e. something like AB deVilliers stance at delivery.

Fiji-Bati

Cricket Spectator
I open the batting for my club, at first when I started opening the batting I was always nervous but now I have got used to it and I feel very comfortable when I go out to bat.