• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taking guard

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi

I was wondering what are the different places I could take guard for eg.leg and why I would take guard at each place.For eg.I would take guard on leg if i was an offside player.

bryce

International Regular
I always take guard on two legs(middle&leg) now - after I started getting out LBW to balls which appeared to me to be heading down leg, and it's been very good. For spin bowlers who turn the ball alot of people will take an off-stump guard(for an off-spinner) or leg-stump guard(for a leg-spinner) to enable themselves to play the ball with the spin as often as possible

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always bat on off stump, I have a habit of going back and across to balls so i generally know I wont be out if I get hit on the pads.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's what you feel comfortable doing. The idea of a guard is so you know where you off stump is.

Experiment in the nets with each one to see which gives you the best feel for off stump.

luffy

International Captain
I personally take guard on leg stop in order to stop the swinging ball trapping me in front of the stumps.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I take middle to all bowlers really, but I occasionally (when I am going for a hack) I will take off or leg, to get the bowlers to bowl to my strengths, and the places that allow me to hit the gaps easier.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm generally take middle, and know roughly where leg is from there. Move back and across before bowler bowls.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm generally take middle, and know roughly where leg is from there. Move back and across before bowler bowls.
This.

Used to take middle-and-leg, but now I bat with my toes on middle and go back and across to get myself moving.