• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speeding up Bowling

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys,
What some things i can do the speed up my bowling and keep me alert when batting and fielding?
Cheers:cool:

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
ive noticed recently your bowling action will affect how fast your ball is released. the jump needs to be high to gain momentum, just before you land you swing your arm right over. I've tried to practice accuracy first rather than pace although both are quite important.

as for batting and fielding... well... keep your eye on the ball at all times :D

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Make sure your front arm is actually coming through quickly. If there is no effort from your front arm, it is very difficult to pick the pace up.

bryce

International Regular
I find trying to bowl too fast early in a spell diminishes your accuracy. What I try and do is at the start of your spell run in and bowl at a pace that feels comfortable & comes naturally, and as you feel yourself building up rhythm then try and increase your pace - but it is important that you still keep your head up and eyes on the area you want the ball to land at all times, no matter how fast you are trying to bowl. Remember everyone has limits though - i've basically accepted that i'm never going to be able to bowl above 130kms

Last edited:

Benaud

Banned
Hey guys,
What some things i can do the speed up my bowling and keep me alert when batting and fielding?
If you can hit tight areas, swing a ball both ways and can land a cutter and deceptive slower ball then you're gonna trouble batsman.

EDIT- Oops, edited this post by mistake

Last edited by a moderator:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If you can hit tight areas, swing a ball both ways and can land a cutter and deceptive slower ball then you're gonna trouble batsman.

If you can do that then you are better than 90% of the Test bowlers out there.

Benaud

Banned
If you can do that then you are better than 90% of the Test bowlers out there.
Why was my post edited?

And no, at senior level, if your bowling slow meds that swing they're picked up easily due to the amount of time the batsman has to see it. Judging by this kids username hes only about 14 so pace isn't something kids that age can produce, but swing is.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why was my post edited?

And no, at senior level, if your bowling slow meds that swing they're picked up easily due to the amount of time the batsman has to see it. Judging by this kids username hes only about 14 so pace isn't something kids that age can produce, but swing is.
I think he made a mistake.

dezza1994

Cricket Spectator
Yes i'm only 14 and bowl at a decent pace and can bowl stock delievery, outswinger, and off cutter.. Still havent got the slower ball down pat yet.. And find it hard to bowl a leg cutter..
Any tips on the leg cutter..

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Any tips on the leg cutter..
It probably sounds glib but just practice. Try bowling it in the nets on your own first, just keep trying until you get it.

The technique is a matter of rolling your fingers down the ball quickly. Quite hard to master without a change of action but very effective if you can get it right.

glynowen81

Cricket Spectator
Tips on how to bowl fast.

Hey guys,
Hi my name is Glyn Owen, I have noticed on this forum many people are saying to bowl fast is all about just arm speed. I am an ABSAT coach who was coached by Ian Pont, who is well respected in his field (Fast Bowling Coaching Coachto pro cricketers). He has coached many test players such as Darren Gough, Dale Steyn & Brett Lee.
He has got a book out called Ian Ponts Fast Bowling Bible. I can assure you this book is a fantastic guide with various tips on how to bowl fast and trust me its not all about having a fast arm when bowling even though it helps. Ian's website which you can purchase a signed book its at maverickcricket.com .

Regards
Glyn
excelcricketacademy.com

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's a few other ABSAT believers on here as well, Glyn :)

Have a deeper dig around and there's bits and pieces on ABSAT as well as a number of contributions from Mr Pont himself.