• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am lucky when i bat left

Mard

Banned
ok, I am a right handed person and a right handed batsmen, but whenever i bat with my left hand i score more runs. f

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
ok, I am a right handed person and a right handed batsmen, but whenever i bat with my left hand i score more runs. f
Hmm.. Are you scoring way more, like are you scoring 50s with your left hand and 10s with your right hand, or is it more like RH 2 and LH 5?

If it's the second scenario, it's probably just a bit of luck or you are more relaxed, does left hand feel comfortable?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, you are actually supposed to bat with your best eye forward. So if your best eye is your right, you bat left, and vica-versa. I have tried batting left, and I think that if I did it every day for a few years, I could get decent at it, but I am going to stick with my right hand style.

Mard

Banned
Hmm.. Are you scoring way more, like are you scoring 50s with your left hand and 10s with your right hand, or is it more like RH 2 and LH 5?

If it's the second scenario, it's probably just a bit of luck or you are more relaxed, does left hand feel comfortable?

well yes, i am much more relaxed batting left because I am not really trying hard, infact most of my shots are random yet they go in to open spaces or for boundries. with right hand I seem to get bowled a lot and i miss many shots, I can't seem to defend properly batting right.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, you are actually supposed to bat with your best eye forward. So if your best eye is your right, you bat left, and vica-versa. I have tried batting left, and I think that if I did it every day for a few years, I could get decent at it, but I am going to stick with my right hand style.
Really? Hum, never heard that before. My left eye is atrociously poor but i've always picked up a bat right-handed, shots run much more smoothly than with the left. Both eyes watch the ball, surely.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Really? Hum, never heard that before. My left eye is atrociously poor but i've always picked up a bat right-handed, shots run much more smoothly than with the left. Both eyes watch the ball, surely.
Yeah, I read an article on it a year or so ago. You would obviously have to start young though, I doubt many people could switch hands in their teens or in their senior years (as a cricketer).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Isn't your left eye the eye which judges depths of things?

I've got a very poor left eye too, which has stuffed me up on a few occassions if I was ever fielding in the outfield.

I don't think it matters too much when batting though, just have to focus which is always good.

Mard, just bat left handed mate, if you are hitting boundaries you obviously have some talent.

Uppercut

Isn't your left eye the eye which judges depths of things?

I've got a very poor left eye too, which has stuffed me up on a few occassions if I was ever fielding in the outfield.

I don't think it matters too much when batting though, just have to focus which is always good.
Maybe, yeah. Would explain my naturally very poor hand-eye co-ordination. But with just a little practice, it can improve to a normal level pretty quickly, so i'm not sure it's something that can't be fixed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What I'd like to know is how on earth he knows this. Did he just walk out to the middle one day and think "I'm gonna bat with my left hand"?!?!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I read an article on it a year or so ago. You would obviously have to start young though, I doubt many people could switch hands in their teens or in their senior years (as a cricketer).
Reckon if I fractured my left hand (top hand for a RHB) I could swap to LHB and score a few runs. Wouldn't be anywhere near as good as batting right but with a bit of practice I think I'd go alright.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
What I'd like to know is how on earth he knows this. Did he just walk out to the middle one day and think "I'm gonna bat with my left hand"?!?!
Haven't we all? I know I sometimes feel more comfortable defending batting leftie but can hardly play any shots so stick to RHB.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haven't we all?.
Err.. no?

I've obviously tried it in the nets, but I wouldn't know if I was "lucky" or not just from doing that. What he describes would involve actually going out there and doing it in a match. If I was captain of a team and one of my players went out there and decided to bat with his opposite hand "just coz", I'd ****ing kill the bastard.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Aren't both eyes required for stereoscopic vision anyway?

A coach back in my school had an interesting theory. He'd tell us to play backhand shots with a tennis racquet, both with right and left hands. He'd tell us that since the top hand in cricket controls the bat, if we felt more comfortable hitting backhand shots with the right hand in tennis, we should stick to batting 'left' handed.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

A coach back in my school had an interesting theory. He'd tell us to play backhand shots with a tennis racquet, both with right and left hands. He'd tell us that since the top hand in cricket controls the bat, if we felt more comfortable hitting backhand shots with the right hand in tennis, we should stick to batting 'left' handed.
:) I like that.

Ive never heard of it but it seems to make sense.

Jakester1288

International Regular

Good point. But switching to the opposite hand is to hard, it's to late for me now, I'm 13 and I like batting left handed for mucking around in the nets with mates, but it's probably to late for me to start batting another style again. Unless I practice every day for a couple of hours, then I have a remote chance of becoming a decent left handed batsmen.

Uppercut

Good point. But switching to the opposite hand is to hard, it's to late for me now, I'm 13 and I like batting left handed for mucking around in the nets with mates, but it's probably to late for me to start batting another style again. Unless I practice every day for a couple of hours, then I have a remote chance of becoming a decent left handed batsmen.
13 isn't too old to overhaul your technique of either bowling or batting, see the thread on fast bowlers who became offies and vice-versa for details. Wouldn't recommend it just for the sake of it, though.

lara84

Cricket Spectator
I think you are , comfort to play in the left hand ,and also you get more power when compare to the right hand thats y you scored more runs .......................
------------------------------------------
Lara
sreevysh corp