• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Left Arm Wrist Spin

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
your arm doesn't look very straight and bent so probably is a no-ball.

Have a look at these two screenshots one from front one from behind, your arm should come round so its almost brush your left ear where as yours is about 1 to 2 foot away from it.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's nothing wrong with having a round arm action as a leg spinner, no need for it to be up around your ear if you want to get good spin.

Main problem seemed to be a weak front arm, and your head falling away at delivery.

Simbazz

Cricket Spectator
There's nothing wrong with having a round arm action as a leg spinner, no need for it to be up around your ear if you want to get good spin.

Main problem seemed to be a weak front arm, and your head falling away at delivery.
I know i've not been round much :p But i totally disagree! Obviously everyone will have thier own take on how to bowl the wonder that is leg spin.

theshane, i've said on simplyCricket, you need to physically "push," the ball upwards to get any more turn, drift and all those extras that bamboozel batsmen. By this, i mean in your action, just imagine you're throwing a shot put. This will make the ball be a bit high, and will naturally lift your arm higher. :)

Ofcourse, leg spin could be discussed til the end of the world and you'd probably find no more than 4 or 5 people who agree on one action or grip etc. so its whatever is comfortable for you. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ofcourse, leg spin could be discussed til the end of the world and you'd probably find no more than 4 or 5 people who agree on one action or grip etc. so its whatever is comfortable for you. :)
Very true.

However, most people would recommend a slightly round arm action for bowling leg breaks.

Simbazz

Cricket Spectator
Very true.

However, most people would recommend a slightly round arm action for bowling leg breaks.
See, i've been drilling into the "brush the ear," bowling, due to me being a Slow Left Armer by nature and only building on my Chinamen.

I find the higher the release to more rotations the ball does in the air therefore spinning slightly further. Although I do purposefully bowl a slightly round arm one if i wan't it to skid on slightly, its a beauty of a ball if i'm on a decent day as it does naturally carry on quicker! :D

c_atkinson123

Cricket Spectator
Mate don't think there's that much wrong with your action to be honest. If it's working for you don't change!

Although if your struggling with keeping a consistant line try bowling more side on and rotating your shoulders over one another towards the batsmen, rather than your shoulders rotating round one another.

Also there's nothing wrong with being roundarm. You are very roundarm but if you go on youtube all of warne's biggest turning deliveries are bowled roudarm. If you were to lift your arm a bit higher for most deliveries you may find being accurate easier. If you were to start bowling with a very high arm may find you can't turn the ball as much.

But there is no perfect way to bowl wristspin and try different things out and see what happens! If something doesn't work forget it. Spin bowling is all aobut practise so just keep going!