• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss of confidence

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had a dire year with the bat last year, coming off the season before when I was leading run scorer.

Now into pre-season, and the signs just don't seem good again. Struggling to pick up the ball out of the hand - had my eyes checked, they're ok apparently. Not moving the feet.

I'm thinking it's confidence really, but with limited practice time owing to family commitments, what do you blokes think can be done? I'm thinking lots of throwdowns if I get the time, but are there any drills which act to focus the mind as I'm batting in the nets?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldnt know about drills. I think its a mental issue and something I have struggled with in the past far more than any technical area.

Ive never quite found the answer apart from taking a long break from the game.

Maybe adopting a mantra, or having a routine before every ball or, seriously, see a sports shrink that can help unclutter the mind of all the doubts.

bryce

International Regular
Had a dire year with the bat last year, coming off the season before when I was leading run scorer.

Now into pre-season, and the signs just don't seem good again. Struggling to pick up the ball out of the hand - had my eyes checked, they're ok apparently. Not moving the feet.

I'm thinking it's confidence really, but with limited practice time owing to family commitments, what do you blokes think can be done? I'm thinking lots of throwdowns if I get the time, but are there any drills which act to focus the mind as I'm batting in the nets?
It sounds like you need to re-build your self-belief. You know your capable of scoring the runs, and it sounds like your team mates know you can score big too so it must be equally frustrating for them to see you struggling. If you find yourself with any spare time outside of cricket and your in at least a semi-relaxed state spend moments visualising in your head yourself in the middle, at the crease watching the ball come out of the bowlers hand watching as closely as you possibly can, getting your feet moving etc so it almost feels as if the match is being played in your head. Just have total belief in all your abilities, get to the nets when you can and there is no reason why you cannot be amongst the runs in the future.

Burgey

Cheers fellas. I'll persist with it and try the visualisatin techniques as well.

Thanks for that.

howardj

International Coach
Sounds bizarre, but pretend you're batting for your life, that of your family or your livelihood.

That way, you can really fight for something, rather than just batting for the hell of it.

It's amazing how batting for something focuses the mind.

Of course, you wouldn't need to tell anyone of this slightly twisted approach...

bryce

International Regular
Ha, yea that's so true. I remember I was playing A grade one week and heard a guy in the B grade(who I thought was pretty average) scored a century that same week, when my highest score to date had only been 58. The next week I went down to B grade batted at four and scored 162* in a 45 over match. I just couldn't believe that guy had hit a century and I hadn't and it just made me want it real bad:laugh: weird really

Uppercut

Sounds bizarre, but pretend you're batting for your life, that of your family or your livelihood.

That way, you can really fight for something, rather than just batting for the hell of it.

It's amazing how batting for something focuses the mind.

Of course, you wouldn't need to tell anyone of this slightly twisted approach...
Although, some prefer batting with no pressure (see Ramprakash, M). So maybe you'd actually bat better if it didn't matter much to you, and you didn't have to think. Everyone's different in that respect.

Jakester1288

International Regular
You need to set goals, and make more time for the nets. And make the goals small, pretend you are new to Cricket and you are going to start out low and build your way up.

Good luck.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I tried listening to music while i was waiting to bat helped me to relax and play my natural game which helped me to get out of a rut.

Burgey

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Our first week was Saturday, and we batted. I came in in the second over and got out 3 and 3/4 hours later for a stodgy but confidence-building 55 on a deck which was ok to stay in on, but not easy to score on.

Very happy with the start. A bit of extra fitness and some renewed determination really helped.

bryce

International Regular
Good stuff:thumbsup:.
I know what it's like batting on those sorta tracks, you have a mindset like "OK, if I play my shots, i'm gonna get myself out":laugh:

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I was in the same position a few seasons back. I developed a routine for each ball and because my feet were stuck I made a conscious effort to move my back foot early. It has gotten out of hand at stages (ala. Simon Katich) but has definately worked for me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bit of the same here. Every time I throw a ball up, there's nothing on it and it gets dispatched. I can't figure out what's wrong technically, there's just a horrid shape out of the hand and I end up having to bowl dirty darts. Been dropped to the 2nds for the first time ever, which isn't the worst thing ever, but I don't know how I'm actually going to get any better.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think its best to go out there and relax. Being perfectly relaxed means your able to focus on the game a little easier IMO. I sing in my head and the ball comes to be the bat all the easier.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha yeah, has been the major turnaround for me, batting, bowling and fielding. Concentrate when you need to, but relax and enjoy it. Makes post-match stuff easier aswell. ;)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of the same here. Every time I throw a ball up, there's nothing on it and it gets dispatched. I can't figure out what's wrong technically, there's just a horrid shape out of the hand and I end up having to bowl dirty darts. Been dropped to the 2nds for the first time ever, which isn't the worst thing ever, but I don't know how I'm actually going to get any better.
Sir,

May I seriously recommend the bush medicine of alcohol.

Few captains allowed it, but I always bowled better (more relaxed, carefree and less edgy) with 2-3 beers in my belly.

Regards

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sir,

May I seriously recommend the bush medicine of alcohol.

Few captains allowed it, but I always bowled better (more relaxed, carefree and less edgy) with 2-3 beers in my belly.

Regards
Funnily enough, I'm having an alcohol free month at the moment, and have not had a drink in October (thus, not for the whole season thus far). Nor have I taken a wicket this season.

Have had everyone at the club tell me that this is the reason, but I've only got 9 days (1 game) to go, and I think it'd be quite an achievement to get through the month. Also, feel a bit guilty if I didn't do it, having worked so hard to get this far, and it would be basically the first time since 16 or 17 that I've had an alcohol free month.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Funnily enough, I'm having an alcohol free month at the moment, and have not had a drink in October (thus, not for the whole season thus far). Nor have I taken a wicket this season.

Have had everyone at the club tell me that this is the reason, but I've only got 9 days (1 game) to go, and I think it'd be quite an achievement to get through the month. Also, feel a bit guilty if I didn't do it, having worked so hard to get this far, and it would be basically the first time since 16 or 17 that I've had an alcohol free month.
Interesting.

You are nearly there so you had may as well do it, but Id be back on the sauce as soon as November hits.

Ignoring alcohol and its amazing properties :ph34r:
Just the fact you are putting yourself through something you describe as 'hard work' seems to be adding extra stress when you dont need it. Being relaxed and stress free is valuable in sport and this seems to be an extra barrier to hurdle.