• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss of confidence

Jakester1288

International Regular
Quite often people think that is a bad thing.

I'm exactly like that. Can't score quick at all. What you need to do is work the balls around for 1s and 2s, don't worry about boundaries until your seeing the ball great, than start hitting the bad balls.

Simple.
Thing is, I have trouble getting the ball into gaps and getting those singles.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Having a shocker of a season myself. In my four innings I've been bowled for single figures three times.

It's gotta be a confidence thing because I don't get bowled in the nets. Two of them were absolute jaffas that swung and cut off the deck to beat the outside edge and hit the top of off. It's playing tricks with my mind though. On Saturday I tried to pre-empt the swing and got bowled between bat and pad.

Seeing as the captain won't bat me anywhere but at the top, I guess I should just buy a few new rocks, distribute them at training and convince myself that I know how to play a swinging ball.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thing is, I have trouble getting the ball into gaps and getting those singles.
When you come out to bat, do you look around at the field, or do you look around at the gaps? It can make a difference if you look at the gaps, not the fielders.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
mmm... I also tried the looking at the gaps thing. Third ball I faced, spooned a sitter to a squarish cover and out for a duck.

Next game, never looked at the field, got 19 with a six :D

Trying to find the gaps distracts me, it makes me want to play there. When I play naturally I score a lot more.

Are all of you playing cricket games like... Under 18? Most of us seem to play matches.

It'd be damn awesome if we all hit the nets together...

Uppercut

I'm sure Burgey could pull it off with a helicopter hat, a postman pat t-shirt and a cone of ice-cream.

Burgey

Ha ha, umm not exactly under 18s here. Have been playing for 33 years this year.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
When you come out to bat, do you look around at the field, or do you look around at the gaps? It can make a difference if you look at the gaps, not the fielders.
I used to say this to everyone too. The thing is though I look at both fielders in gaps, but I reckon at junior level it really is useful to pick out a couple of gaps - Spots were you just know you'll get a single without much effort.

I used to think I was a slow scorer too, but in truth I just valued my wicket more then most.

Julian87

State Captain
Haha yeah, has been the major turnaround for me, batting, bowling and fielding. Concentrate when you need to, but relax and enjoy it. Makes post-match stuff easier aswell. ;)
How on earth is anything post match hard? I find it pretty hard not to relax after a couple of schooies with the boys.

I sometimes get very scared playing leg side shots, especially if its full-pitched right on my front-foot shoe, I always try flicking it off, I get hurt a lot at training AND the game, so I just work around it by getting my front leg out of the way and playing it defensive.

This made me lose a lot of confidence although I'm managing now, I always think about the positive things about me when playing,...
Buy better pads. No offence, but that is terrible. Costing yourself and the team valuable runs because you're scared of the ball. Anything bowled on the pads should equal easy runs. I just don't understand how you are getting hurt playing full balls on your pads.

I used to say this to everyone too. The thing is though I look at both fielders in gaps, but I reckon at junior level it really is useful to pick out a couple of gaps - Spots were you just know you'll get a single without much effort.

I used to think I was a slow scorer too, but in truth I just valued my wicket more then most.
Same. As I've slipped down the order my strike rate has increased. Longing for an extended chance with the bat this season though. Started out with a 14* in second grade last week.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
Buy better pads. No offence, but that is terrible. Costing yourself and the team valuable runs because you're scared of the ball. Anything bowled on the pads should equal easy runs. I just don't understand how you are getting hurt playing full balls on your pads.
Wow, you just let everyone know we all start off as pros. It's something we all work on mate, and I don't cost my teams valuable runs, because I play it safe. I really value my wicket out there, and I play well. Besides Full-pitched balls are those that would probably hit your shoe, and correct me if I'm wrong but there are no shoe-pads.

I've shown improvement in the nets and the techniques other people have told me, and I am getting better at leg-side shots.

So please, before you ridiculously try to make a childish attempt to degrade someone's personal confidence like that, try offering some advice, because everyone's got something to work on, and everyone starts off noob. With that kind of massive over-confidence, you'd make a newcomer to cricket look like he was a former captain of Australia mate

Last edited:

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
Where do you live Fezza?
It's in my location... Sydney,australia. if you mean suburb, I'm in the bankstown region.

and woot, my leg-side batting has improved! full-toss right on my front pad, just flicked it over fine-sqaure leg for 6! i made 23 today from a team total of 10/66

but other thing is i got smacked in the rib from a bouncer, i was floored!