• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strong Legs for a Fast Bowler

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
I do numerous workouts for my legs such as weighted and single leg squats, running with weights, leg stretches, etc. It was working well until recently. I'm a pace bowler and run from 20 yards. The entire season I've been running nice and steadily but now I've started sprinting in very aggressively. My pace has increased and I've been bowling some real good spells.

However - this week I had three matches and by the third match, I couldn't sprint in. I wanted to but I didn't have the legs for it. Suddenly the legs I was sprinting in with were paining and had shin splints.

What do you guys recommend for strengthening my legs for sprinting and aggressive pace bowling?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that what you are doing is good, but take it easy (don't stop, though) on the physical work during the season.

Jakester1288

International Regular
During the season, only do that sort of training twice a week, along with club training and whatever else you do with training. Through the off season lift this to potentiallt 4 training sessions. You should also work on your shoulders and back, they provide a lot of strength and pace when bowling.

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, I already work on my back, chest, and shoulders plus stretching. But I need ideas on how to work on strengthening my legs as I really sprint in and want to do that well into the future. Also my season's about to finish so I need a plan in place for off season.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, you need to work on your general fitness more than anything, so you can keep doing it. However, over the off season, keep off your legs as much as possible. That means, rather than jogging and stuff for fitness, swimming and boxing, cycling and things of the like.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
squats, lunges, deadlifts, single leg squats, etc. are really good exercises for strengthening your legs. you can also include plyometrics and sprints in your work outs.

if you have access to a professional trainer or fitness coach, i would consult with them to prepare a good routine for you.