• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run up

Jakester1288

International Regular
I need help with my run up. It is currently 22 steps, but I hve grown taller and my steps have become larger, hence me bowling a fair few no balls. To stop them, I need to stutter whilst nearing my delivery stride. This is affecting my pace, and really stuffing up my bowls. I have tried bowling one way, and then running back to see if I land in the same spot, but I can never get any consistently. I need some help with this.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
On the outfield, close your eyes with a ball in a hand and start your run up and just release the ball when it feels natural, then measure the distance and that is your run up obviously try it out in the nets a few times.

Surely if you have grown then the strides when you mark out your run up will have increased at the same rate as your strides in your run up have increased?

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
I have the same problem. Also, my run up used to be 18 strides, I was advised to cut it down, but I couldn't get enough momentum out of a shorter run up, and my action falls apart when I don't have any momentum. Somehow I managed to reduce it while having a bowling course, and I find that I have a lot more control of my action. I would advise the same to you, although i know you would probably disagree, but it's just something for you to think about.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I need help with my run up. It is currently 22 steps, but I hve grown taller and my steps have become larger, hence me bowling a fair few no balls. To stop them, I need to stutter whilst nearing my delivery stride. This is affecting my pace, and really stuffing up my bowls. I have tried bowling one way, and then running back to see if I land in the same spot, but I can never get any consistently. I need some help with this.
Haha, aren't you 12? Twenty-two steps is stupid.

DCC_legend

International Regular
My run up is 12/15 strides and I thought that was long. Was 19 too at one point but it ****ed up my knee for some reason.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, 22 :blink:

That is too far. Also odd numbers seem to work far better than even.

The furthest I came off was 21 and I was bowling bloody rapid then. TBH, moving to 15 didnt make much difference.

Im currently off 7 :laugh:

If I was you Id change to a mid-teen odd number (lets say 15) and try that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If you need 22 steps to build up and maintain momentum to be at peak pace at the crease, your follow through should end up somewhere around fly slip.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you need 22 steps to build up and maintain momentum to be at peak pace at the crease, your follow through should end up somewhere around fly slip.
Exactly, the keeper'd be waving a red towel at you as you steamed past him and the slips.

Son Of Coco

Are you seriously saying you build momentum all the way to the crease on 22 steps though? I bowl off 14 (well, 19 if you count the extra five at the end I add to walk up to the mark) and it's not that far back from the wicket but I've built maximum momentum by the time I hit the crease and was quite sharp off that run up for most of the time I played seriously. I don't think you need 22 steps at your age to be honest, as most of the young people I've seen with long run ups look like they're jogging along in the London marathon for at least half of it and are actually losing momentum by the time the make it to the wicket. It depends on what you mean by steps though (some people do them heel/toe for some reason).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Heel/toe provides an exact measurement each time, rather than stepping them out, which lacks precision.

Mate used to do it, was 43 heel to toe steps or something. We used to push him over at about 30, so he'd have to start again.

Son Of Coco

Heel/toe provides an exact measurement each time, rather than stepping them out, which lacks precision.

Mate used to do it, was 43 heel to toe steps or something. We used to push him over at about 30, so he'd have to start again.
:laugh:

It always looks funny when someone's out there dry humping the air as they do a heel/toe measurement of their run up.

Amazingly I've never had a no ball problem just pacing out my run up. I'd like to think this is due to precision, but it's probably more to do with a lack of energy overall.

Matteh

I start pacing out my runup with my heel on the line of the popping crease because the pacing isn't precise. Been told i actually bowl well within the popping crease, but meh, if anything helps hit just back of a length easier. Has worked well enough for me, only time i've ever been no-balled was missing the box from the side whilst coming in very wide to bowl to a leftie.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Have cut my run up in half, from 22 to 11, thanks to Chris Moran. He knows his Cricket, and I am bowling really well with my new run up, without as much pace.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've got a young fella in our side this year who has awesome potential - on;y 16, but bowls decent pace with a great action. All I see him needing is to get over the "kid's run up" thing - he doesn't really gain pace as he approaches, it's more one pace all the way. Hoping to work on that int he nets. Any drills/ exercises anyone knows to get a good rhythm going with more gather in the run up, or is it practice pure and simple?