• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General Batting

Spinksy

Banned
Hey, can someone please help me with a general batting technique, I am a gun bowler yes but I am the worst batsman ever. I am so dire that my highest score in club level is only 3 and I have never ever hit a boundary before. I have been playing for 2 years now FFS, please help. I am desperate to improve and I am practicing hard on defence as that is what I am best at. I have played a few solid knocks from time to time, one of which was when I was battng 11th and when needed thirty or forty odd to win, then I played an awesome knock of 1 (41). Anyways, I am seeking help in all areas if possible is I can score atleast double figures this season. The other thing is that everytime I go out to bat I have memories of this guy named John steaming in and ripping in a bouncer which was very quick and slammed into my ribs. This fractured my ribs and somehow I think that this is effecting me in more ways then one. Is there any ways that I can block this memory of mine out so I am not so scared of the ball (because I am reminded of this). All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Wear padding on your chest, arm, thigh and then your standard legs, groin, hands and head. It will give you confidence against the fastest of bowlers.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey, can someone please help me with a general batting technique, I am a gun bowler yes but I am the worst batsman ever. I am so dire that my highest score in club level is only 3 and I have never ever hit a boundary before. I have been playing for 2 years now FFS, please help. I am desperate to improve and I am practicing hard on defence as that is what I am best at. I have played a few solid knocks from time to time, one of which was when I was battng 11th and when needed thirty or forty odd to win, then I played an awesome knock of 1 (41). Anyways, I am seeking help in all areas if possible is I can score atleast double figures this season. The other thing is that everytime I go out to bat I have memories of this guy named John steaming in and ripping in a bouncer which was very quick and slammed into my ribs. This fractured my ribs and somehow I think that this is effecting me in more ways then one. Is there any ways that I can block this memory of mine out so I am not so scared of the ball (because I am reminded of this). All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
It's been an hour, FFS. Basically, you need to practice your attacking shots in the nets. Also, why practice defence if you main problem is scoring runs? You need to hone your attacking shots. This is not to say slog in the nets, but try to score off most deliveries.

Try to get a video of yourself batting on here; we might be able to suggest what your issues are. A five minute clip of you at the nets should suffice (if, of course, you are comfortable with posting a clip).

On the psychological side, you may be afraid of the ball and might back away as a result. This is the wrong thing to do on many levels, the main being that you are safer stepping inside rather than outside the line of the ball and you are safest if you are playing deliveries correctly and keeping a compact shape. If you flail hopelessly, you leave yourself more open to getting struck and getting hurt, as KP did against Mcgrath when he broke his ribs.

Spinksy

Banned
Wear padding on your chest, arm, thigh and then your standard legs, groin, hands and head. It will give you confidence against the fastest of bowlers.
All that padding will weight me down though, I am already **** enough at running between the wickets, then I'd be certain to be run out.

Freddie_Fittler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just hope they bowl heaps of wides & No balls. You have no hope.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
All that padding will weight me down though, I am already **** enough at running between the wickets, then I'd be certain to be run out.
Do some specific training then. Do some interval sprints or run on the treadmill with your full padding on, you may look like a bit of a ****, but you'll reap the rewards.

Spinksy

Banned
Do some specific training then. Do some interval sprints or run on the treadmill with your full padding on, you may look like a bit of a ****, but you'll reap the rewards.
I go to the gym and put the speep on 10 (without padding on my body), I am running how I am supossed to with padding on and I am still slow as crap. Plus at the Woolgoolga gym which is where I go to has atleast 20 - 40 people there at all times. So I don't want to do it there because then I will just look like a complete ****** to say the very least. So many school kids go to the gym there too so then it'll get around the school, so it is not really worth the risk in my opinion, I'll just get bashed even more then I am at the moment at school. Is there any other ways though do you think?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you have a large garden?

BTW, I don't know what a speed setting of '10' is, but you just want short quick bursts of 20m or 40m as that will be how much you'll run when you are batting.

Freddie_Fittler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I go to the gym and put the speep on 10 (without padding on my body), I am running how I am supossed to with padding on and I am still slow as crap. Plus at the Woolgoolga gym which is where I go to has atleast 20 - 40 people there at all times. So I don't want to do it there because then I will just look like a complete ****** to say the very least. So many school kids go to the gym there too so then it'll get around the school, so it is not really worth the risk in my opinion, I'll just get bashed even more then I am at the moment at school. Is there any other ways though do you think?
:laugh:

Spinksy

Banned
Do you have a large garden?

BTW, I don't know what a speed setting of '10' is, but you just want short quick bursts of 20m or 40m as that will be how much you'll run when you are batting.
Yes, I have a big yard, 100 by 100 meters. But it is all slush and stuff though. Not worth trying to run in.

Spinksy

Banned
I need batting help and it isn't something to be joking around about, If you have nothing good or helpful to say Fred then you can Go And Get ****ed!

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
my advice to you would be to bat on off stump, so your inline with the ball and at least if you do back away then you are still in an ok position. I would work on an ok defence and then one off side and one leg side shot, and just use them to score off

Spinksy

Banned
my advice to you would be to bat on off stump, so your inline with the ball and at least if you do back away then you are still in an ok position. I would work on an ok defence and then one off side and one leg side shot, and just use them to score off
I bat on middle and off already though.