• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slower ball

Spinksy

Banned
I need help bowling them, everytime that I try to it seems that I ampushing the down legside alot. Help will be appreciated.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There are several different variations, you have probably not found the right one for you...

Off the top of my head:
- You can hold your fingers far apart on the seam
- You can bowl a leg break
- You can bowl an off break
- You can bowl it out of the back of the hand (similar to a googly)
- You can hold the ball deep in your hand (using three fingers if you can't control it with two)
- You can try the SLOB

Try all those in the nets, a two hour net session dedicated to working on slower balls (better chuck in the odd regular ball so you don't forget how to bowl it), should help you realise which one works best for you.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
- You can hold the ball deep in your hand (using three fingers if you can't control it with .
This is the easiest one to bowl and can be effective straight away, as there is zero change in action.

Hold the ball as deep as possible in your hand and grip it as tight as possible.

Run up and bowl as normal except aim to bowl a full toss into the batsmans nuts/stomach.

As it comes out slower it should land on a length.

Its a great introductory slower ball. There are fancier, but it is still the one I use most and have the greatest faith in.

Last edited:

Spinksy

Banned
There are several different variations, you have probably not found the right one for you...

Off the top of my head:
- You can hold your fingers far apart on the seam
- You can bowl a leg break
- You can bowl an off break
- You can bowl it out of the back of the hand (similar to a googly)
- You can hold the ball deep in your hand (using three fingers if you can't control it with two)
- You can try the SLOB

Try all those in the nets, a two hour net session dedicated to working on slower balls (better chuck in the odd regular ball so you don't forget how to bowl it), should help you realise which one works best for you.
I do none of those though, I shall post up a picture of the grip I use later though.

Spinksy

Banned
Because that is the only one that feels even the slightest bit comfortable for me. I have joint pains/problems by the way.

Freddie_Fittler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nope. I have the grip where the index finger is on the seam and the thumb is pointing towards the west direction, so it forms a kind of a backwards L shape, you know what I mean Jake?
Tuck your thumb in underneath the ball and bring your second finger up for support, wheras you have your thoub out when trying for seam.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
See the SLOB in the Manee's post
In the 'how to be a better bowler' video low down on the page, they had catherine dalton who goes to my school and is in my year and is actually pretty rubbish, but they had a fella named BASIL, who plays south England, and who I faced when trialling for Essex, quickest bowler in the age group for the South of England, at the time, I was around 16, he hit me once (I'm not really a batsmen) he then hit me again, was told to slow his pace down and proceeded to bowl me a bouncer... A very talented dickhead

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In the 'how to be a better bowler' video low down on the page, they had catherine dalton who goes to my school and is in my year and is actually pretty rubbish, but they had a fella named BASIL, who plays south England, and who I faced when trialling for Essex, quickest bowler in the age group for the South of England, at the time, I was around 16, he hit me once (I'm not really a batsmen) he then hit me again, was told to slow his pace down and proceeded to bowl me a bouncer... A very talented dickhead
Catherine Dalton is one of the world's fastest female bowlers, plays men's cricket at Loughton and is on the England Academy as an opening batter. To describe her as 'pretty rubbish' makes you look stupid:

BATTING:
YouTube - ‪How To Play The Cover Drive‬‏
YouTube - ‪Cath Dalton Off Stump Manipulation‬‏
YouTube - ‪Catherine Dalton OFF DRIVE GROOVE‬‏

BOWLING:
YouTube - ‪Catherine Dalton‬‏

But I will ask her to have a word with you next time she sees you at Trinity.

Then your comment about Basil Akram as a 'talented dick head' shows you have a jealousy issue somewhere.

Just be a bit respectful of others more talented than you. Both Basil and Catherine are my students with big potential careers ahead of them.