• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Short Pitched Delivery

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
I'm excited guys - really excited! For the past two seasons I've been working on my action and trying to get side on and working on my accuracy. I had decent pace 2 seasons back but had a tendency to bowl numerous wides. Disheartened and low on confidence I'd become a line and length bowler - focused more on keeping it accurate.

Few weeks back I got tired of being economical and not taking wickets. In a 20/20 match defending a low score - I decided to forget all my conventions and just let it rip like the old days. To my surprise I generated real pace and got the second highest ranked team in my division tottering at 18/4.

To my point - what are you guys thinking when bowling a bouncer or short/rising ball? I've noticed that I naturally cork my wrist while bowling a short pitch - which I unfortunately don't do normally at all times. I've been using the old short ball to get batsman back and then slip a length ball or yorker to get many wickets now.

I never had a really good short pitch delivery but am now bowling it regularly and getting batsman on the backfoot very easily.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well firstly, how old are you?

But yeah, I think the faster you can accurately bowl, the better. I am a big fan of bouncers, and I love bowling them. They help get the batsmen off the front foot and playing on the back, where if you can get line and length right, get edges regulary.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Well, the ideal bouncer would be throat high or above, if its not that high, batsmen will love to face you. The way you do that is to exaggerate your chest drive (so imagine the batsmen is pulling your chest towards him with a piece of rope) and shoulder rotation (imagine your trying to show the batsmen your name on the back of your shirt). You should always **** your wrist when you bowl. It improves seam position, pace, deviation and bounce.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, the ideal bouncer would be throat high or above, if its not that high, batsmen will love to face you. The way you do that is to exaggerate your chest drive (so imagine the batsmen is pulling your chest towards him with a piece of rope) and shoulder rotation (imagine your trying to show the batsmen your name on the back of your shirt). You should always **** your wrist when you bowl. It improves seam position, pace, deviation and bounce.
Blake, you have such a good knowledge of Cricket, why don't you post in Cricket chat and stuff?

Last edited:

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
That's excellent advice Shake. I would even say that doing that for length deliveries would also be viable. You would get extra lift. Easier said than done as you need real good upper body strength and energy to put that kind of effort again and again.

And I'm 21. Just now I've been not thinking too much about direction but just going for pace. My direction is naturally coming out good. Let's see how long that lasts. I hope forever!

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
The thing with a short ball is it has to be at your throat so you can get your hands free to play it, however I good batsman will just let it go and then be prepared for the yorker, but shakey looking batsman bouncer-yorker is the best bowling tactic there is.

Spinksy

Banned
Did you get that off some website where it teaches you the SLOB? That is an awesome website too by the way.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Did you get that off some website where it teaches you the SLOB? That is an awesome website too by the way.
I highly doubt he did. He has a good knowledge on Cricket.

I think short pitched deliveries (not bouncers) need to force the batsmen to play, and to do that you need to put it into their ribs and chest, and limit their scoring opportunities. Any decent batsmen will just leave it, and that's a ball wasted. Make them play whenever possible.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
I highly doubt he did. He has a good knowledge on Cricket.

I think short pitched deliveries (not bouncers) need to force the batsmen to play, and to do that you need to put it into their ribs and chest, and limit their scoring opportunities. Any decent batsmen will just leave it, and that's a ball wasted. Make them play whenever possible.
I don't agree, if you bounce it up to their throat, they will consider both playing it or leaving it, that hesitation could give you a top edge or it will hit them! :D Because of the points I gave before, the bouncer is naturally a quicker delivery, that pace causes hesitation.

No i've read his book a million times though! :D I've found the SLOB impossible!