• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre season training

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hey guys,

Spinksy and I are starting to get serious about pre season training. We are 12 and Cricket mad, and passionate to do our best. We need tips to work on our batting, bowling, fielding and fitness. Hence the threads we have been making, because we are desperate to do our best. Any tips will be appreicated.

I am thinking of starting now with some jogging, training for an hour and a half in the nets every day, and boxing, and when it gets a bit warmer some swimming. What are you thoughts on this?

Spinksy

Banned
Here is some common mistakes that we mustn't do...

Not warming up. The warm up is not only about injury prevention. A good warm up improves your performance by mobilising your key muscles so they can be used both more quickly, powerfully and with better timing. That means a good 15-20 minute warm up is vital before every session or match if you want to get the best from your skills.
Warming up badly. Almost as bad as not warming up, a bad warm up can slow you down and cause injury. That means making sure you warm up for long enough before you pick up a bat or ball and don't do any static stretching (as it reduces performance).
Playing without a goal. Going to nets or a game without a goal is not a very effective approach. It's far better to know what you are aiming for. In tests, the people who did the best were those who set goals compared to those who just tried their best.
Avoiding fitness. In the UK most people equate fitness training with boredom or pain. Neither needs to be true, despite what PE teachers might have put you through as a school kid. Good fitness training is both enjoyable and vital for your game.
Being too specific. Cricket is a game of skill, but just practicing cricket skills will not improve your general sport skills. That means vital factors like speed, agility, power and mobility are left to deteriorate, and with it your cricket ability.
Not being specific enough. It's vital to develop both cricket and general sport skills. It's counter productive to train in ways that are not related to cricket at all. So leave the long, slow paced runs alone and keep heavy weight lifting to an absolute minimum.
Not drinking enough. Dehydration is a major cause of performance loss. However, hardly anyone drinks enough in training or play. It can be difficult to do, but aim to drink a small amount every 30 minutes during play with 1-3 litres in a day.
Staying the same. Different times of the year call for different approaches to training. If you train the same all the time your body and mind will get used to the training and you stop improving. Also, you may be putting too little or too much strain on your body without a periodised approach.
Doing too much. Younger club players can easily play cricket every day in the summer. Older players can be playing 3 times a week, going to the gym and training with the team. It's almost as easy to do too much as too little. So make sure you have a rest at least once a week.
Giving up after failure. If you drop a catch in the slips you may tell yourself you are a bad slip fielder, if you are not getting results quickly in the gym you pack it in. In fact, failure is an indicator you are learning. Good players keep trying.

Not sure if that helps you at all though Jake.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Here is some common mistakes that we mustn't do...

Not warming up. The warm up is not only about injury prevention. A good warm up improves your performance by mobilising your key muscles so they can be used both more quickly, powerfully and with better timing. That means a good 15-20 minute warm up is vital before every session or match if you want to get the best from your skills.
Warming up badly. Almost as bad as not warming up, a bad warm up can slow you down and cause injury. That means making sure you warm up for long enough before you pick up a bat or ball and don't do any static stretching (as it reduces performance).
Playing without a goal. Going to nets or a game without a goal is not a very effective approach. It's far better to know what you are aiming for. In tests, the people who did the best were those who set goals compared to those who just tried their best.
Avoiding fitness. In the UK most people equate fitness training with boredom or pain. Neither needs to be true, despite what PE teachers might have put you through as a school kid. Good fitness training is both enjoyable and vital for your game.
Being too specific. Cricket is a game of skill, but just practicing cricket skills will not improve your general sport skills. That means vital factors like speed, agility, power and mobility are left to deteriorate, and with it your cricket ability.
Not being specific enough. It's vital to develop both cricket and general sport skills. It's counter productive to train in ways that are not related to cricket at all. So leave the long, slow paced runs alone and keep heavy weight lifting to an absolute minimum.
Not drinking enough. Dehydration is a major cause of performance loss. However, hardly anyone drinks enough in training or play. It can be difficult to do, but aim to drink a small amount every 30 minutes during play with 1-3 litres in a day.
Staying the same. Different times of the year call for different approaches to training. If you train the same all the time your body and mind will get used to the training and you stop improving. Also, you may be putting too little or too much strain on your body without a periodised approach.
Doing too much. Younger club players can easily play cricket every day in the summer. Older players can be playing 3 times a week, going to the gym and training with the team. It's almost as easy to do too much as too little. So make sure you have a rest at least once a week.
Giving up after failure. If you drop a catch in the slips you may tell yourself you are a bad slip fielder, if you are not getting results quickly in the gym you pack it in. In fact, failure is an indicator you are learning. Good players keep trying.

Not sure if that helps you at all though Jake.
We don't have time to warm up though. I always jog on the spot and roll my arm over before I go in to bowl my first ball of the session, but with 20 mins in the morning, 20 at recess, 40 at lunch and 20 in the afternoon (guessing those times btw, know Reccess and Lunch for a fact though) we don't have time to warm up and stretch. Only time when we could is at lunch to be honest.

Guys, we are looking at taking some videos on my phone tomorrow and posting them up. However, these would be really bad quality. We are not allowed to bring a camera, as you'd expect, and would like some tips on our bowling.

Spinksy

Banned
We don't have time to warm up though. I always jog on the spot and roll my arm over before I go in to bowl my first ball of the session, but with 20 mins in the morning, 20 at recess, 40 at lunch and 20 in the afternoon (guessing those times btw, know Reccess and Lunch for a fact though) we don't have time to warm up and stretch. Only time when we could is at lunch to be honest.

Guys, we are looking at taking some videos on my phone tomorrow and posting them up. However, these would be really bad quality. We are not allowed to bring a camera, as you'd expect, and would like some tips on our bowling.
Come to my place and use the vedio camera?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This is ridiculous.

First of all, if you guys actually want help from the rest of the community, then stop answering it all yourselves and ask each other what you're up to over MSN.

Secondly, preseason at your age isn't all that necessary, especially in terms of fitness, strength, etc. You are best of doing more skill work.

Spinksy

Banned
This is ridiculous.

First of all, if you guys actually want help from the rest of the community, then stop answering it all yourselves and ask each other what you're up to over MSN.

Secondly, preseason at your age isn't all that necessary, especially in terms of fitness, strength, etc. You are best of doing more skill work.
But we would like to get better, even if it is just skills work. Hence us asking.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys,

Spinksy and I are starting to get serious about pre season training. We are 12 and Cricket mad, and passionate to do our best. We need tips to work on our batting, bowling, fielding and fitness. Hence the threads we have been making, because we are desperate to do our best. Any tips will be appreicated.

I am thinking of starting now with some jogging, training for an hour and a half in the nets every day, and boxing, and when it gets a bit warmer some swimming. What are you thoughts on this?
I agree with all of your fitness ideas, except jogging, it isn't cricket specific enough. Try interval training. There is also a lot of great stuff on this site: http://www.pitchvision.com/category/fitness

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Good to see you guys are enthusiastic but you really don't need to do all that crap. Just go to the nets and have a trundle if your a bowler and have a fang if your a batsman and have a good time. Don't worry about fitness unless your a complete fat a**. You should get fit enough just by playing a lot of sport. Just work on your skills.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Good to see you guys are enthusiastic but you really don't need to do all that crap. Just go to the nets and have a trundle if your a bowler and have a fang if your a batsman and have a good time. Don't worry about fitness unless your a complete fat a**. You should get fit enough just by playing a lot of sport. Just work on your skills.
I dont agree, I think that its better to be able to have a more explosive spell, especially if the weather is poor pre season.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am going to get ahead and really try and rip apart the competition this season. I am going to do boxing, swimming, intervals and possibly some cycling. I am really excited about this, it should really improve my Cricket. On top of that, I'm going to do some weights on my shoulders, back and legs, all very cricket specific.

I dont agree, I think that its better to be able to have a more explosive spell, especially if the weather is poor pre season.
I agree with you there. In my junior Cricket, we only bowl in two or four over spells. We might as well give it our all for that short period of time, and we need short bursts of energy rather than long endurance. However, I am going to work on both.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Thats exactly what I'm getting at, short bursts of energy.
Also, take it from my personal experience, you cant bowl when your tired. so always get at least one rest day a week. And then like me you will be rearing to go next day. Your action will feel a lot more coordinated and in control. And with the weights, never do them the day before a match, training. Your muscles need time to repair and get stronger. And try to perform dynamic moves like woodchops, which build core and upper body strength, helping build strength, not tone.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Is this a good idea for my training through the season:

Monday - Do something easy like swimming. This will be following a day of rep cricket or rep training, so I will take it easy.

Tuesday - Club training.

Wednesday - First Wednesday of every month is my clubs newly formed acadamy, which I will be attending. On other days, I will either use this day to do intervalsorhave a rest.

Thursday - I will have Spinksy come over and we will work together. Once a month we might travel down to the nets and work on our Cricket, otherwise we will use Thursdays to work on general fitness.

Friday - Rest before my weekend of Cricket.

Saturday - Club Cricket. Swim afterwoods to prepare for rep the next day.

Sunday - Rep Cricket or training.

All rep stuff is provided I make it.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Is this a good idea for my training through the season:

Monday - Do something easy like swimming. This will be following a day of rep cricket or rep training, so I will take it easy.

Tuesday - Club training.

Wednesday - First Wednesday of every month is my clubs newly formed acadamy, which I will be attending. On other days, I will either use this day to do intervalsorhave a rest.

Thursday - I will have Spinksy come over and we will work together. Once a month we might travel down to the nets and work on our Cricket, otherwise we will use Thursdays to work on general fitness.

Friday - Rest before my weekend of Cricket.

Saturday - Club Cricket. Swim afterwoods to prepare for rep the next day.

Sunday - Rep Cricket or training.

All rep stuff is provided I make it.
I think that it is a well structured routine, though on Thursdays, you should always spend thursdays at the nets. Nets are always better than fitness training.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I think that it is a well structured routine, though on Thursdays, you should always spend thursdays at the nets. Nets are always better than fitness training.
I spend one and a half hours a day at the nets on Monday to Friday. No need for extra on Thursdays, however we will go one Thursday a month.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
I go for about 3 hours every day?!? There can't be "no need for extra" its that little extra practise that gives y ou the edge

Jakester1288

International Regular
I go for about 3 hours every day?!? There can't be "no need for extra" its that little extra practise that gives y ou the edge
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I don't have a chance to go there though. I have to go to a school where you are not supposed to go, and when I bowl on my own it takes like 2 minutes to bowl a ball. Plus, the pitch is concrete and fricks up your balls. Plus, my parents don't really like taking me down there.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am going to make this my season diary thread kind of thing.

Today at 3pm I have rep trials, will be tough to make it. I signed up for under 13's club, but if I will be going up to 15's. Only about a 10% chance I will stay down tbh.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Had my trials, and need to wait until the Saturday paper to see if we made it. I was really happy with my batting, but my bowling was inconsistent, but everyones was. I would give myself a 8/10 chance of making the squad.

Our first outing is against Armidale, this season they are traveling here - we take it in turns to travel. Later in the year, in early January, we are having a 4 day tour to Tamworth, where we will play a few games.

Overall, looking to goods for this season, playing straight, and fixed up my run up with the help of Chris Moran, which deducts from my pace, but improves my accuracy slightly.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I've cut my run up in half, from 22 steps to 11, and whilst it is not working yet, it will work soon, after a few days of training.

But we still can't train, cause we had our ball confiscated again. :(

**** teachers.