• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

my bowling runup and rythem

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
hi im a 14 year old boy fast bowler.
i struggle with my runup
its very inconsistant
my set amount of paces is 14
some times i bowl 12 or 11 or 13 or 15
i cant keep it to 14 any tips on that. and how to keep my runup the exact same every time. i think i might extend my runup

i have a video on the coaching forum. Everyone i know says my pace is only from my arm. And i need to get a rythem the same speed everytime i runup and a faster jump
too get more pace and better accuracy any tips?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We did tell you last time that the video was hopeless to work off as you really cannot see anything relevant.

A runup only contributes about 10% of speed to your action: it doesn't need to be any longer - if you're buggering it up already, why make it harder? To use a maths analogy... if you can't do your times tables there's no way in hell I'm letting you near long division.

If you are going to focus, properly, on it, you need to build it from a steady base. When I'm bowling my innocuous seam-ups for the first time in months (generally because it's April again, or the staff team are really, really short of bowlers) I'll start off five paces (left/right/left/right/left/bowl) and then work it back to the full nine.

Jon Lewis uses "trigger words" - "knees up, knees up, knees up, arms up, stay tall, follow through" to concentrate on keeping the action smooth and rhythmic. I think it's most closely analogous in sport to a long jumper's run up: practiced and balanced.

Also, it's 1am. You're 14. You should be asleep.