• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slogging

Howzatone

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi there,

At the moment, I keep on going into the nets and slogging. I'm getting a few lusty hits, but most of it is just swing across the line and skying it. I was wondering what you would suggest me to to try and do to get out of this bad habit. I try and play straight but whenever I get anything on a length I immediately smash it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
throwdown, do a lot of throwdones, take play drives etc.
and get into the right mindset when you walk into the nets...just think im gonna play defensive today all balls on my wicket I stop or drive, and of course you don't have to forget how to slog so the bad ball you will hit or something..

my personal experiance is that once you get older you will know when you can slog and when you can't...for example I have to play a number of overs just playing the ball around and after a few overs im confident enough that I know I can try to whack one...

but as said, throw downs is the way to go, think it also has something to do with muscle memory

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi there,

At the moment, I keep on going into the nets and slogging. I'm getting a few lusty hits, but most of it is just swing across the line and skying it. I was wondering what you would suggest me to to try and do to get out of this bad habit. I try and play straight but whenever I get anything on a length I immediately smash it.

Thanks,
Have you been taught the forward or back defensive shot by a coach?. If not then it would be wise to ask advice on how to play these shots by a senior teammate.

Also remember that the harder you try and hit the ball the more you'll lose your shape and the percntage you'll lose your wicket will be higher.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hi there,

Thanks,
Thanks for the question Symo, :)

A somewhat less orthodox method is to tie some fishing line to the grille of your helmet, with a hook on the other end resting adjacent to a delicate area of the anatomy.

When you lift your head and slog, the hook catches on the swonnicles causing intense pain and encouraging you to keep your head down.

That kind of dedication will no doubt get you to the top!!!!

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the question Symo, :)

A somewhat less orthodox method is to tie some fishing line to the grille of your helmet, with a hook on the other end resting adjacent to a delicate area of the anatomy.

When you lift your head and slog, the hook catches on the swonnicles causing intense pain and encouraging you to keep your head down.

That kind of dedication will no doubt get you to the top!!!!
Another advantage of Burgey's "method" is that it will help you keep your head still. One of the most important thing to remember when trying to hit big, is to keep your head still, this helps you keep your shape, therefore you transfer more power into the shot and more often than not you will hit it cleanly. This also applies to ground shots.