• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats do people think is the maximum age to join a cricket team

kp4captain

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm asking this because i only started appreciating cricket as a sport after the 2005 Ashes, when i was about 13. So I was rubbish then. I've never been coached, never played a competetive match with the exception of a school twenty20 game last season (bowled 4 overs 1-8 and scored 5 runs batting at 6). However I always play cricket in the garden, in the streets with my brothers and my mates, and I think that by just playing and playing and playing I have improved greatly. To such an extent that my best mate who plays for a team as a spin bowler was getting hit for six but more importantly I never once got out in 2 months of playing cricket. Everybody at school says I'm better than my mate and I could get into a team, even my PE teacher who used to play says I should give it a go, but I think I've left it too late. Of course all my promise in the street, garden or school field will be tested at club level, but recently I've experienced a burning desire to have a go and try and make something of myself in terms of cricket.
Any advice would be grateful
Thanks

Spinksy

Banned
How old are you? Are you 16 years old or something? If so I think that you can still play because my brother is 15 ands he was able to sign up. It's never ever too late to follow your desires mate. Just wait until cricket season and find out then I guess. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Go for it, never too old. Pretty much all clubs will have at least some players well into their 50s, nothing to stop you starting at any age.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Didn't join a club till I was 15, biggest regret of my life I didn't do so earlier - but even so I've still managed to make something of myself and get regularly selected on merit.

Particularly at this time of year, people are going to need players - summer holidays are hell to select sides in. Join your best mate's club, (a) you'll have someone to enjoying playing with and (b) you'll have someone as a way in - it's always easier like that.

Go for it - and let us know how you do!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Wow I was expecting this thread to be about a 79 year old with a sudden desire to play cricket, not someone in their teens. No problem with starting at your age at all, Michael Vaughan only started playing when he was 15

DCC_legend

International Regular
Started playing when I was 16. Have had no Coaching and am playing regularly for my Club firsts now. Tried it the year before, i.e. when I was 15, and I was pretty ****. Honestly don't know how I became good and interested in such a short period of time.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow I was expecting this thread to be about a 79 year old with a sudden desire to play cricket, not someone in their teens. No problem with starting at your age at all, Michael Vaughan only started playing when he was 15
Source?

Id be interested to see the origin as, whilst I dont know when he started playing, his dad was a committed club cricketer. Id be amazed if he didnt start until 15.

From never playing to captaining England under 19s in 3 yrs :blink:

Last edited:

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i actually started teaching myself to play at the age of 16-17, and have been playing a little club/school cricket since I was about 19. With no coaching, probably explains why I suck so bad.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Vaughan only started playing when he was 15
Not true. From his book A Year in The Sun (which is totally ****, btw. His ghostwriter wants hanging):
The coach there, Jack Bethel, must have seen something, although for the life of me I have no idea what, and after my first net sent me for a Yorkshire Under 11 trial. A few months and only two matches afterwards, I was representing the county at the level.

Last edited:

Howzatone

You can start whenever you want, and you should. If you've played a bit with your mates for fun then you'll already be decent and definitely be able to play junior cricket.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Particularly at this time of year, people are going to need players - summer holidays are hell to select sides in. Join your best mate's club, (a) you'll have someone to enjoying playing with and (b) you'll have someone as a way in - it's always easier like that.

Go for it - and let us know how you do!
Agree with this. :)

c_atkinson123

Cricket Spectator
I didn't play my first season till I was 20, and our best batsmen this year did't start till he was 40odd. Just go for it, you are DEFINATELY not too old!

leedon

Cricket Spectator
wow, i didn't start until i was 28, with having never picked up a cricket bat before.
So i would say its never to learn

King Pietersen

International Captain
I didn't start playing till I was almost 17, and since that faithful winter I've picked the game up remarkably quickly, and seem to be somewhat of a natural. In the short time I've been playing I've developed into one of the quickest guys at my club, probably 2nd quickest, just behind a guy that plays/has played for Suffolk, so I've done pretty well. Batting's not come as easy to me, but I'm starting to become far more confident, and have gone from getting 6 straight ducks in my first season to being a more than capable number 7/8.

I say go for it. I'd say I regret not starting earlier, but I wasn't really a big cricket fan until a few years back, so it was just natural progression into playing. Starting to play has allowed Cricket to become my prime passion in my life, and from something I enjoyed watching on TV, to something I am obssessed with and something I spend far too much time watching/playing/thinking about the game. Get stuck in, join a club, it's one of the best things I've ever done, if not the best.

jathu

I only started playing when i was 13 also. Im a bit behind the others but otherwise im better than most at cricket now that im 15...

someblokedave

Mate I didn't start playing cricket till I was 46, I'm now 49 and statistically the best bowler in my club. If I could play Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday and get the same number of overs in per week as the single and young blokes do - I reckon I'd be on for the clubs record for wicket taking and that's in three years! So you aint got nothing to worry about.

stumpski

International Captain
Mate I didn't start playing cricket till I was 46, I'm now 49 and statistically the best bowler in my club. If I could play Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday and get the same number of overs in per week as the single and young blokes do - I reckon I'd be on for the clubs record for wicket taking and that's in three years! So you aint got nothing to worry about.
Most heart-warming post of the day, surely. I started playing for my village team when I was 25 and retired (i.e. gave up) 10 years later with a highest score of 8 and a best bowling of 3-23. It was more about the social side for me if I'm honest, nearly always enjoyed the games though (and still miss it sometimes).

I didnt start playing until I was 31, go for it! :)
Good to hear, not sure how far you'll go here with that monicker though.