Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats do people think is the maximum age to join a cricket team

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I didn't start playing till I was almost 17, and since that faithful winter I've picked the game up remarkably quickly, and seem to be somewhat of a natural. In the short time I've been playing I've developed into one of the quickest guys at my club, probably 2nd quickest, just behind a guy that plays/has played for Suffolk, so I've done pretty well. Batting's not come as easy to me, but I'm starting to become far more confident, and have gone from getting 6 straight ducks in my first season to being a more than capable number 7/8.

I say go for it. I'd say I regret not starting earlier, but I wasn't really a big cricket fan until a few years back, so it was just natural progression into playing. Starting to play has allowed Cricket to become my prime passion in my life, and from something I enjoyed watching on TV, to something I am obssessed with and something I spend far too much time watching/playing/thinking about the game. Get stuck in, join a club, it's one of the best things I've ever done, if not the best.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I only started playing when i was 13 also. Im a bit behind the others but otherwise im better than most at cricket now that im 15...

School Boy/Girl Cricketer someblokedave's Avatar
    Mate I didn't start playing cricket till I was 46, I'm now 49 and statistically the best bowler in my club. If I could play Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday and get the same number of overs in per week as the single and young blokes do - I reckon I'd be on for the clubs record for wicket taking and that's in three years! So you aint got nothing to worry about.

Cricket Spectator
    I didnt start playing until I was 31, go for it!

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by someblokedave View Post
    Mate I didn't start playing cricket till I was 46, I'm now 49 and statistically the best bowler in my club. If I could play Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday and get the same number of overs in per week as the single and young blokes do - I reckon I'd be on for the clubs record for wicket taking and that's in three years! So you aint got nothing to worry about.
    Most heart-warming post of the day, surely. I started playing for my village team when I was 25 and retired (i.e. gave up) 10 years later with a highest score of 8 and a best bowling of 3-23. It was more about the social side for me if I'm honest, nearly always enjoyed the games though (and still miss it sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Wanker View Post
    I didnt start playing until I was 31, go for it!
    Good to hear, not sure how far you'll go here with that monicker though.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    i started wen i was 14/15, and if you are dedicated, u can learn your way around cricket easily, the amount of hours iv spent in my bedroom swinging my bat practicing driving the ball and looking at coaching videos on the internet, but after my first season, i came out a wiser, accomplished batsman, but im still undecided on my bowling....

most beginners take to the bat naturaly because all you have to do is hit a ball, but with bowling u have so man y different types, i keep on changing my mind on what i want to bowl. lol. monday its "brett lee pace" then wednesday its "graeme swann fingerspin" then by friday its "paul collingwood prescision medium pace"

Quote Originally Posted by chyickenkeev View Post
    i started wen i was 14/15, and if you are dedicated, u can learn your way around cricket easily, the amount of hours iv spent in my bedroom swinging my bat practicing driving the ball and looking at coaching videos on the internet, but after my first season, i came out a wiser, accomplished batsman, but im still undecided on my bowling....

most beginners take to the bat naturaly because all you have to do is hit a ball, but with bowling u have so man y different types, i keep on changing my mind on what i want to bowl. lol. monday its "brett lee pace" then wednesday its "graeme swann fingerspin" then by friday its "paul collingwood prescision medium pace"
    Id stop thinking about it after Monday if you can bowl Bret Lee pace People only bowl medium pace and finger spin because they cant bowl fast
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

School Boy/Girl Cricketer someblokedave's Avatar
    If you're undecided about how you want to bowl I'd always advise people to bowl wrist spin, there's always a shortage of wrist spinners and you'll always get overs in a match if you get half decent at it. It's a magic art wrist spinning, challenging to learn and do well and you need to think long term if you do want to go for it, but once you've sussed it you stand the chance of being the biggest wicket taker in your team. What's more if you look after your shoulder (Do exercises and keep a good level of general fitness) you might find that you're still playing cricket in your 60's and still bowling exceptionally well. Your futures bright - your future is Leg Spin!

Here have a look at this - http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2...continues.html this is my own blog and I review the year here with some of the stats worked out and lifted off our teams website. Remember I'm 49 and have only been playing cricket for 2 full seasons prior to 3 years ago I'd never played cricket in my life, hope this gives you some incentive.
    Last edited by someblokedave; 29-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by chyickenkeev View Post

Try Ian Pont's front foot block step technique on pitchvision for fast bowling,
    after you master this you'll never look back .

Tournaments Won: 1
    I'm 16, I've played cricket since before I can remember. I've always been a cricket freak - I only play school though as my parents are scared of the whole "older, drunk, swearing men" thing. So annoying considering I play against really weak teams, for a weak team which I captain, open the batting, open the bowling
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I'm 16, I've played cricket since before I can remember. I've always been a cricket freak - I only play school though as my parents are scared of the whole "older, drunk, swearing men" thing. So annoying considering I play against really weak teams, for a weak team which I captain, open the batting, open the bowling
    I think Mum's pretty smart. We have a 19 year old in our side and we worry about we say in front of him. And then it gets said anyway. I didn't hear that sort of thing in school boy teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I think Mum's pretty smart. We have a 19 year old in our side and we worry about we say in front of him. And then it gets said anyway. I didn't hear that sort of thing in school boy teams.
    What people don't understand, though, is that teenagers know so much anyway. I wish we didn't, but in the modern day, we do.

Anyways, I don't particularly want to play cricket with drunk old men etc. but where I'm from, we don't have age group teams at clubs, therefore I can only play school or seniors at club (I missed my regional age group qualifiers, darn!)

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I would have said the teenagers are the worst influence on my team. The rest of us don't really need that much encouragement to lower the tone however. I've not seen anyone try to play whilst drunk, mind. Go join a club.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Join a chicks team. That way when they get drunk you're half a chance to cop a feel.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I sound a bit of a killjoy in my post. IF you want to join men's cricket and your mum lets you then join. I am sure the guys will make you welcome and you can go home before they all head to the pub.

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information