• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats do people think is the maximum age to join a cricket team

chyickenkeev

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i started wen i was 14/15, and if you are dedicated, u can learn your way around cricket easily, the amount of hours iv spent in my bedroom swinging my bat practicing driving the ball and looking at coaching videos on the internet, but after my first season, i came out a wiser, accomplished batsman, but im still undecided on my bowling....

most beginners take to the bat naturaly because all you have to do is hit a ball, but with bowling u have so man y different types, i keep on changing my mind on what i want to bowl. lol. monday its "brett lee pace" then wednesday its "graeme swann fingerspin" then by friday its "paul collingwood prescision medium pace"

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
i started wen i was 14/15, and if you are dedicated, u can learn your way around cricket easily, the amount of hours iv spent in my bedroom swinging my bat practicing driving the ball and looking at coaching videos on the internet, but after my first season, i came out a wiser, accomplished batsman, but im still undecided on my bowling....

most beginners take to the bat naturaly because all you have to do is hit a ball, but with bowling u have so man y different types, i keep on changing my mind on what i want to bowl. lol. monday its "brett lee pace" then wednesday its "graeme swann fingerspin" then by friday its "paul collingwood prescision medium pace"
Id stop thinking about it after Monday if you can bowl Bret Lee pace :) People only bowl medium pace and finger spin because they cant bowl fast

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If you're undecided about how you want to bowl I'd always advise people to bowl wrist spin, there's always a shortage of wrist spinners and you'll always get overs in a match if you get half decent at it. It's a magic art wrist spinning, challenging to learn and do well and you need to think long term if you do want to go for it, but once you've sussed it you stand the chance of being the biggest wicket taker in your team. What's more if you look after your shoulder (Do exercises and keep a good level of general fitness) you might find that you're still playing cricket in your 60's and still bowling exceptionally well. Your futures bright - your future is Leg Spin!

Here have a look at this - http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2009/10/good-weather-continues.html this is my own blog and I review the year here with some of the stats worked out and lifted off our teams website. Remember I'm 49 and have only been playing cricket for 2 full seasons prior to 3 years ago I'd never played cricket in my life, hope this gives you some incentive.

Last edited:

jebbs

Cricket Spectator

Try Ian Pont's front foot block step technique on pitchvision for fast bowling,
after you master this you'll never look back .

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'm 16, I've played cricket since before I can remember. I've always been a cricket freak - I only play school though as my parents are scared of the whole "older, drunk, swearing men" thing. So annoying considering I play against really weak teams, for a weak team which I captain, open the batting, open the bowling :(

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm 16, I've played cricket since before I can remember. I've always been a cricket freak - I only play school though as my parents are scared of the whole "older, drunk, swearing men" thing. So annoying considering I play against really weak teams, for a weak team which I captain, open the batting, open the bowling :(
I think Mum's pretty smart. We have a 19 year old in our side and we worry about we say in front of him. And then it gets said anyway. I didn't hear that sort of thing in school boy teams.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I think Mum's pretty smart. We have a 19 year old in our side and we worry about we say in front of him. And then it gets said anyway. I didn't hear that sort of thing in school boy teams.
What people don't understand, though, is that teenagers know so much anyway. I wish we didn't, but in the modern day, we do.

Anyways, I don't particularly want to play cricket with drunk old men etc. but where I'm from, we don't have age group teams at clubs, therefore I can only play school or seniors at club (I missed my regional age group qualifiers, darn!)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would have said the teenagers are the worst influence on my team. The rest of us don't really need that much encouragement to lower the tone however. I've not seen anyone try to play whilst drunk, mind. Go join a club.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I sound a bit of a killjoy in my post. IF you want to join men's cricket and your mum lets you then join. I am sure the guys will make you welcome and you can go home before they all head to the pub.

Cheers

MrPrez

International Debutant
Haha no you didn't sound like a killjoy!

The problem is that I haven't schmoozed my mother enough yet- If I got the opportunity, I'd take it of course.

I'm thinking of taking a few old mates along to nets somewhere - seems the only way to get some decent cricket atm!

slowfinger

International Debutant
Source?

Id be interested to see the origin as, whilst I dont know when he started playing, his dad was a committed club cricketer. Id be amazed if he didnt start until 15.

From never playing to captaining England under 19s in 3 yrs :blink:
Beefy didn't start focusing on cricket till his mid-teens, either.