Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spin bowling problems

Cricket Spectator

spin bowling problems

iv recently started trying to bowl spin as i cudnt bowl fast due to an injury, i find it much more fun than bowling seam up quite frankly and so have kept it up after i recovered, however i am very confused that when i attempt leg spin 95% at least comes out as googlies, and when i attempt offspin more than half comes out as doosras
    dose anyone know wot exactly is happening as i find this rather bizzarre

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bowden View Post
    and when i attempt offspin more than half comes out as doosras
    That probably means you're chucking it.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    It probably does mean you're chucking your off spin.

The googly thing is easier solved - get a tennis ball and spin it underarm so it spins right to left - the leggie. That is what is required in terms of wrist action when you bowl it over arm too.

The googlies come out because you're trying so damn hard to spin it you invert your whole lower arm and add 180 to the axis of spin.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Spectator
    i may be but im trying my hardest not too, my arm is hyperflexible so its very hard to kno when im chucking an when im not

Cricket Spectator
    cheers for that neil, ill have a go at practising underarm an see if that helps, any advice on how to bowl offspin without chucking?

Can we see a video of your bowling? I'd like (or rather, be very interested) to see this hyperflextion.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricket Spectator
    if its a very unusual thing as u make it sound i am probably mistaken, my elbows can both go backwards to a small degree is i guess the way of putting it
    i was vaguely under the impression this was hyperflexibility but i kno absoloutely nothing about it
    dont have any video footage at the moment and im not sure my very limited equipment (digital camera with poor video setting and mobile fone cam) would be upto the task

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bowden View Post
    if its a very unusual thing as u make it sound i am probably mistaken, my elbows can both go backwards to a small degree is i guess the way of putting it
    I have no idea how unusual or usual it is, but would like to see it, regardless of quality of footage.

Cricket Spectator
    thats wot my arm dose, sorry if iv terrified anyone i showed that pic to a friend and she was rather disturbed, that is backwards honest lol it mite not look it
    ill see if i can get a vid of me bowling soon but iv neva used video before an i dont kno how to connect my fone to the comp so may take me a while if i manage it, the file would obviousely be more than the upload limit here so is there a way i would go about getting the vid somewhere ppl can see should i succeed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

International Regular
    I am the oppisite tbph. I can't bowl a wrong 'un any more whilst I used to be awesome at it.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I am the oppisite tbph. I can't bowl a wrong 'un any more whilst I used to be awesome at it.
    Same, to a lesser extent. I'm arguably the least flexible human being of all time, and I'm finding it harder and harder to bowl. The result of this is that it's easier to pick and less accurate. Have only bowled it in a match about three times all season, relying more and more on variations of turn in the leggie, and the top-spinner.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    That's called old age, Thomas. You start losing flexibility from around the age of 10 - and by the time you're 22, if you keep wicket for 45 overs on Saturday, you still hurt on Tuesday evening.

As for offies and 'that' arm - well, if you have a naturally hyperflexible joint (sorry, I can't get my head round that picture: it needs a shoulder before it makes any sense to me) then the force of rotation will send it into hyperextension. Again, it is only a tiny, tiny movement of the index and middle fingers that kicks an off break into action - you're quite probably trying to do too much again.

International Regular
    I am so unflexible you wouldn't believe. I can't touch my toes, actually I can't get to my ankles. And I am only 12!

I can't bowl doosera's without chucking Murali style, and I can't bowl wrong 'uns at all. I used to be heaps good at them, and could pitch them good and spin them a bit. Then I read an article telling you to learn your stock delivery fully properly before you try to get too complicated. I left the wrong 'un and practiced my stock delivery for about a week, and then reverted to bowling pace again. I have never found my wrong 'un since. Not that it really matters, considering a actually bowl pace.

Cricket Spectator
    that may be a more helpful picture of my arms, has shoulders, hands, even a bit of hair if thats useful..... i have blacked out my face as the more observent of you may realise which i realise is slightly disturbing but i dont like the thought of evidence of my existence being on the net

anyway iv been practising quite a bit in the garden trying to bowl legspin, with increasing success, most of them spin in the intended direction now which is a the main difference, thanks to a combination of neils advice and a warney coaching vid i found on youtube

i am now wondering about the finer details, mainly what is the length for a spinner to aim to bowl, how high above the batsmans eyeline should the ball go and which is more important side spin or overspin, or should you aim for a healthy combination of both? any advice would be much appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cricket Spectator
    cool, i can do something like that with my shoulder joints. hmmm maybe your the murali?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information