• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

spin bowling problems

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
iv recently started trying to bowl spin as i cudnt bowl fast due to an injury, i find it much more fun than bowling seam up quite frankly and so have kept it up after i recovered, however i am very confused that when i attempt leg spin 95% at least comes out as googlies, and when i attempt offspin more than half comes out as doosras
dose anyone know wot exactly is happening as i find this rather bizzarre

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It probably does mean you're chucking your off spin.

The googly thing is easier solved - get a tennis ball and spin it underarm so it spins right to left - the leggie. That is what is required in terms of wrist action when you bowl it over arm too.

The googlies come out because you're trying so damn hard to spin it you invert your whole lower arm and add 180 to the axis of spin.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
i may be but im trying my hardest not too, my arm is hyperflexible so its very hard to kno when im chucking an when im not

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
cheers for that neil, ill have a go at practising underarm an see if that helps, any advice on how to bowl offspin without chucking?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we see a video of your bowling? I'd like (or rather, be very interested) to see this hyperflextion.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
if its a very unusual thing as u make it sound i am probably mistaken, my elbows can both go backwards to a small degree is i guess the way of putting it
i was vaguely under the impression this was hyperflexibility but i kno absoloutely nothing about it
dont have any video footage at the moment and im not sure my very limited equipment (digital camera with poor video setting and mobile fone cam) would be upto the task

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
if its a very unusual thing as u make it sound i am probably mistaken, my elbows can both go backwards to a small degree is i guess the way of putting it
I have no idea how unusual or usual it is, but would like to see it, regardless of quality of footage.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
thats wot my arm dose, sorry if iv terrified anyone i showed that pic to a friend and she was rather disturbed, that is backwards honest lol it mite not look it
ill see if i can get a vid of me bowling soon but iv neva used video before an i dont kno how to connect my fone to the comp so may take me a while if i manage it, the file would obviousely be more than the upload limit here so is there a way i would go about getting the vid somewhere ppl can see should i succeed?

Attachments

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I am the oppisite tbph. I can't bowl a wrong 'un any more whilst I used to be awesome at it.
Same, to a lesser extent. I'm arguably the least flexible human being of all time, and I'm finding it harder and harder to bowl. The result of this is that it's easier to pick and less accurate. Have only bowled it in a match about three times all season, relying more and more on variations of turn in the leggie, and the top-spinner.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That's called old age, Thomas. You start losing flexibility from around the age of 10 - and by the time you're 22, if you keep wicket for 45 overs on Saturday, you still hurt on Tuesday evening.

As for offies and 'that' arm - well, if you have a naturally hyperflexible joint (sorry, I can't get my head round that picture: it needs a shoulder before it makes any sense to me) then the force of rotation will send it into hyperextension. Again, it is only a tiny, tiny movement of the index and middle fingers that kicks an off break into action - you're quite probably trying to do too much again.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I am so unflexible you wouldn't believe. I can't touch my toes, actually I can't get to my ankles. And I am only 12!

I can't bowl doosera's without chucking Murali style, and I can't bowl wrong 'uns at all. I used to be heaps good at them, and could pitch them good and spin them a bit. Then I read an article telling you to learn your stock delivery fully properly before you try to get too complicated. I left the wrong 'un and practiced my stock delivery for about a week, and then reverted to bowling pace again. I have never found my wrong 'un since. Not that it really matters, considering a actually bowl pace.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
that may be a more helpful picture of my arms, has shoulders, hands, even a bit of hair if thats useful..... i have blacked out my face as the more observent of you may realise which i realise is slightly disturbing but i dont like the thought of evidence of my existence being on the net

anyway iv been practising quite a bit in the garden trying to bowl legspin, with increasing success, most of them spin in the intended direction now which is a the main difference, thanks to a combination of neils advice and a warney coaching vid i found on youtube

i am now wondering about the finer details, mainly what is the length for a spinner to aim to bowl, how high above the batsmans eyeline should the ball go and which is more important side spin or overspin, or should you aim for a healthy combination of both? any advice would be much appreciated:)

Attachments

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I am so unflexible you wouldn't believe. I can't touch my toes, actually I can't get to my ankles.
Same, have never ever been able to do this.

Remember in GCSE PE we had to do some sort of flexibility test and my score was negative, the only one to be so.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I am so unflexible you wouldn't believe. I can't touch my toes, actually I can't get to my ankles. And I am only 12!
Me neither, it is actually quite common in teenagers apparently. The key is to stretch your hamstrings daily. Put one foot on a raised surface like a bed and lean forward, keeping your back straight and hold for 30s, do this twice a day and reap the rewards.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I've got no coaching advice, but my God get some meat on those bones! I'm surprised you can even think about legspin with the bulimia you must have.

Oh and if you can bowl the doosra, get on the phone to Geoff Miller and co. and you'll be a deadset selection.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
I've got no coaching advice, but my God get some meat on those bones! I'm surprised you can even think about legspin with the bulimia you must have.
I feel the fact that you felt the need to comment on someones weight in a discussion about spin bowling, of all things, says far more about you than anything else. Im not looking for an argument here, but accusing someone of having bulimia based on a picture of their arms is both offensive and rediculous.