• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

spin bowling problems

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I feel the fact that you felt the need to comment on someones weight in a discussion about spin bowling, of all things, says far more about you than anything else. Im not looking for an argument here, but accusing someone of having bulimia based on a picture of their arms is both offensive and rediculous.
Sorry mate, I just thought you looked a little skinny that's all. Nothing personal. At any rate it's better than being a fatarse like me.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
alrite no stress, i get bit defensive when people mention my weight thats all, few folks round my way think its a crime to tell someone their fat but will tell me off for bein a touch skinny on a regular basis

anyway back to the cricket, any experienced spinners (i dont mean 20 years, i mean someone who has any match experience since im only a month into the art) have anything to say on length, flight and overspin vs. sidespin? or quite frankly anything else slow bowling orientated since im sure there are things i havn't thought of

iv never had any cricket coaching in my life so unless your trying to (for example im aware massive full tosses are not particularly effective) you're unlikely to mention anything i already know

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
It might sound vague as, but consistency. The number of spinners you see around that talk about their 10 variations, but can't even land the pill on the strip is ridiculous. Sure they might take the odd amazing wicket, but 1/80 off 6 isn't of benefit to anyone except the batting side. Would personally recommend maintaining an immaculate length and working on overspin or pace with delivery. Once you've got those things in your favour, you can keep it tight, get your confidence up and then try to turn a few, bowl a variation, etc.

All things I keep telling myself on a regular basis. :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reiterating that, you have to have confidence in your stock delivery, and every time that someone is trying to attack you, have the knowledge that you can bowl your stock delivery and nail it every time.

c_atkinson123

Cricket Spectator
I agree, get a stock delivery sorted. Probably best to have either all side spin or a bit of top spin as well as side spin.

Topspin gives you drop, which is very usefull for causing batsmen to miss-time the ball. My stock delivery is all sidespin though, just do what comes naturally, don't force anything. If your stock delivery turns out to be all top spin don't worry, Anil Kumble's stock delivery doesn't have any sidespin just topspin to give him drop, and look at all the wickets he's got!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I also never got my googly going. Very rarely it spun in, occasionally, kept going with the arm, but most of the time it was a small leg break. But I landed it on the perfect spot, so it was hitting the stumps most of the time I bowled that. And with my ripping big leggies,it was something to think for the batsmen.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
iv uploaded an incredibly short clip of me bowling in the garden

Upload videos! Free home video sharing and editing. Secure Home Movie Archiving, Hosting and Storage.

im not sure how much u can really tell from it but seemed worth a go, i really did bowl a ball in the second clip, i cant for the life of me see it in real time but i checked the vid frame by frame just to check i hadnt practiced without a ball and then completely forgotten

im bowling out the back of the hand but it turns as a legspinner rather than a googly for reasons beyond me

the main thing im concerned about is i do get slight discomfort in my upper back a few hours after bowling sometimes, this may be normal but i was wondering if theres something obvious i am doing that could lead to injury if i keep bowling in such a way

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
you're putting to much stress on your back when you bowl, which is going to lead to you having a serious back injury in the future.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
what is it im doing wrong? the most obvious thing to me first time i saw it was how bent my spine is, do i just need to stand up straighter or is it more complex than that?

jimbles

I would say try and keep your back straight as possible whilst also keeping the way you bowl. And don't bowl for stupid amounts, take a break now and again, and lie flat on the ground or stand upright, don't slump as that does not help.

Billy Bowden

Cricket Spectator
iv been standing a lot straighter when i bowl last cupple days and iv not felt any twinge in my back as i did before, seems to have improved my accuracy too

i got to the stage with my legspinner where i was getting bored just bowling the same ball over and over again (caffiene has ruined my attention span) so iv been workin on a googly a lot today, i tried a few different ways of bowling it and the easiest to switch to without losing accuracy is bowling with the same action but bringing my arm over at a different angle, is this likely to be too easy to pick up or is it worth continuing with?

jimbles

good man, nice to see the back pains worked away!

I would recomend bowling it how you feel comfy and the way you feel is right for you, as we all bowl differenty due to our own preferences and styles.

I'm sure some will tell you different because I'm the noob around these parts. :)

Edge Of Willow

Cricket Spectator
iv uploaded an incredibly short clip of me bowling in the garden

Upload videos! Free home video sharing and editing. Secure Home Movie Archiving, Hosting and Storage.

im not sure how much u can really tell from it but seemed worth a go, i really did bowl a ball in the second clip, i cant for the life of me see it in real time but i checked the vid frame by frame just to check i hadnt practiced without a ball and then completely forgotten

im bowling out the back of the hand but it turns as a legspinner rather than a googly for reasons beyond me

the main thing im concerned about is i do get slight discomfort in my upper back a few hours after bowling sometimes, this may be normal but i was wondering if theres something obvious i am doing that could lead to injury if i keep bowling in such a way
Well, it's a bit hard to a lot from that angle. I do notice your front-foot is not braced when it lands. It is collapsed as you land; the knee is bent. It should be straight. I can't tell much else for sure though.

someblokedave

Your bowling action is very flawed at the moment, but it's difficult to analyse from such a small clip and from that angle. You need to look at the clips of people like Warne and Terry Jenner that are available on-line. The best on-line video resource I reckon is this from Beau Casson as it shows some really good drills and the analysis of the amatuer bowling is very useful too. YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

chyickenkeev

hmmm, aparently monty panesar has that, and he uses the flexibility to bowl doosras occasionly for northants, but the umpires would o**** that as chucking i suppose, especialy for england.

off spin is easily the easiest skill in cricket, well, finger spin is.

thats y so many matsmen take it up, so they dont need to work on it much so they can focus on batting.

if u wer a leftie, id clearly COMMAND you to take finger spin, its a lefties gift, (im a left arm finger spinner) and we have the power to spin the ball AWAY form a right hander wiht not much practice in spinning the ball,

when i discovered the ease of it a few months ago, i had to check whether id sold my soul to the devil or something to get this beautiful art. its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to do well.