Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spin bowling problems

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I am so unflexible you wouldn't believe. I can't touch my toes, actually I can't get to my ankles.
    Same, have never ever been able to do this.

Remember in GCSE PE we had to do some sort of flexibility test and my score was negative, the only one to be so.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    I am so unflexible you wouldn't believe. I can't touch my toes, actually I can't get to my ankles. And I am only 12!
    Me neither, it is actually quite common in teenagers apparently. The key is to stretch your hamstrings daily. Put one foot on a raised surface like a bed and lean forward, keeping your back straight and hold for 30s, do this twice a day and reap the rewards.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Haha, deadset best new member.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    I've got no coaching advice, but my God get some meat on those bones! I'm surprised you can even think about legspin with the bulimia you must have.

Oh and if you can bowl the doosra, get on the phone to Geoff Miller and co. and you'll be a deadset selection.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    I've got no coaching advice, but my God get some meat on those bones! I'm surprised you can even think about legspin with the bulimia you must have.
    I feel the fact that you felt the need to comment on someones weight in a discussion about spin bowling, of all things, says far more about you than anything else. Im not looking for an argument here, but accusing someone of having bulimia based on a picture of their arms is both offensive and rediculous.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bowden View Post
    I feel the fact that you felt the need to comment on someones weight in a discussion about spin bowling, of all things, says far more about you than anything else. Im not looking for an argument here, but accusing someone of having bulimia based on a picture of their arms is both offensive and rediculous.
    Sorry mate, I just thought you looked a little skinny that's all. Nothing personal. At any rate it's better than being a fatarse like me.

Cricket Spectator
    alrite no stress, i get bit defensive when people mention my weight thats all, few folks round my way think its a crime to tell someone their fat but will tell me off for bein a touch skinny on a regular basis

anyway back to the cricket, any experienced spinners (i dont mean 20 years, i mean someone who has any match experience since im only a month into the art) have anything to say on length, flight and overspin vs. sidespin? or quite frankly anything else slow bowling orientated since im sure there are things i havn't thought of

iv never had any cricket coaching in my life so unless your trying to (for example im aware massive full tosses are not particularly effective) you're unlikely to mention anything i already know

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    It might sound vague as, but consistency. The number of spinners you see around that talk about their 10 variations, but can't even land the pill on the strip is ridiculous. Sure they might take the odd amazing wicket, but 1/80 off 6 isn't of benefit to anyone except the batting side. Would personally recommend maintaining an immaculate length and working on overspin or pace with delivery. Once you've got those things in your favour, you can keep it tight, get your confidence up and then try to turn a few, bowl a variation, etc.

All things I keep telling myself on a regular basis.

Reiterating that, you have to have confidence in your stock delivery, and every time that someone is trying to attack you, have the knowledge that you can bowl your stock delivery and nail it every time.

Cricket Spectator
    I agree, get a stock delivery sorted. Probably best to have either all side spin or a bit of top spin as well as side spin.

Topspin gives you drop, which is very usefull for causing batsmen to miss-time the ball. My stock delivery is all sidespin though, just do what comes naturally, don't force anything. If your stock delivery turns out to be all top spin don't worry, Anil Kumble's stock delivery doesn't have any sidespin just topspin to give him drop, and look at all the wickets he's got!

I also never got my googly going. Very rarely it spun in, occasionally, kept going with the arm, but most of the time it was a small leg break. But I landed it on the perfect spot, so it was hitting the stumps most of the time I bowled that. And with my ripping big leggies,it was something to think for the batsmen.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Cricket Spectator
    iv uploaded an incredibly short clip of me bowling in the garden

Upload videos! Free home video sharing and editing. Secure Home Movie Archiving, Hosting and Storage.

im not sure how much u can really tell from it but seemed worth a go, i really did bowl a ball in the second clip, i cant for the life of me see it in real time but i checked the vid frame by frame just to check i hadnt practiced without a ball and then completely forgotten

im bowling out the back of the hand but it turns as a legspinner rather than a googly for reasons beyond me

the main thing im concerned about is i do get slight discomfort in my upper back a few hours after bowling sometimes, this may be normal but i was wondering if theres something obvious i am doing that could lead to injury if i keep bowling in such a way

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    you're putting to much stress on your back when you bowl, which is going to lead to you having a serious back injury in the future.

Cricket Spectator
    what is it im doing wrong? the most obvious thing to me first time i saw it was how bent my spine is, do i just need to stand up straighter or is it more complex than that?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I would say try and keep your back straight as possible whilst also keeping the way you bowl. And don't bowl for stupid amounts, take a break now and again, and lie flat on the ground or stand upright, don't slump as that does not help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information