Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Training program

Cricket Spectator

Training program

Hey chaps,

New on the forum.

I wanted to get an insight as to how you folks prepare for the cricket season, specifically the type of training you do leading up to the season, i.e pre-season training. Please specify in detail whether weights, fitness, plyometrics, etc. Furthermore, at what time do you start you pre-season training and what stages are involved? What is your training schedule during the season and what type of training is it?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Hi, I'm 15, my training program is as follows:

Indoor Cricket League every Saturday one to two games every Saturday. 6-a-side 10 overs per team. October - December.

Serious pre-season training starts January:

Saturday
    2.30-4 Junior training involves nets (every other week), fielding drills, mini games etc.
    4-5 Adult nets indoor (10 minute bat)

Monday
    7-8 Adult nets indoor. (probs a 10 minute bat)

Also two nights a week or sunday afternoons I will go up with a couple of mates to a car park near my house and play car park cricket for about 2 hours with a windball.

Nearer the season I will look to do about 2/3 hours training a week on grass mainly fielding drills, I sometimes go up to the local football pitch to do fielding, as this helps keeping your eye on the ball as the ground is very rough and uneven.

In the summer I will do 2 hours fielding drills a week and about 3 hours netting. As well as 3-5 games each week.

I don't really do any weights as I'm a batter and am all about timing (which I must say my timing is top knotch) and just a dibbly-dabbly medium pacer who bowls it on the spot.

Cricket Spectator
    Cheers Jonny,

Cricket Spectator
    ----
    Last edited by Aleksandar; 13-07-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Play a winter sport!

Maybe not for everyone but I play rugby over the winter, this was instilled into me at school 'rugby = winter, cricket = summer'

On the whole though abut 8 weeks befre season. Mixture of everything for first couple of weeks then getting more technical closer to season. Of course you southern hemisphere guys have a rather large advantage over us northern hemisphere boys -

- we get approx. 13 hours of direct sun a year (note - point may be a very rough approximation but accurate with current weather in UK)

- any guys like me, midlands and up I'm sure will generally agree that wickets (especially pre-july) are a bit of a lottery so one week can come nicely onto the bat and the next stick into the wicket like a fat person running through a mud wallow.

I've found that you can prepare your fielding and also your bowling to a certain degree but batting is a lost cause as most UK nets tend to be indoors batting on tracks never seen in game time (unless you are elite).

Some might detect my biterness about being rained off today but just wanted to bitch about an all too common point grr

What was the question again?

LF

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of
    creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fez View Post
    Play a winter sport!

Maybe not for everyone but I play rugby over the winter, this was instilled into me at school 'rugby = winter, cricket = summer'

On the whole though abut 8 weeks befre season. Mixture of everything for first couple of weeks then getting more technical closer to season. Of course you southern hemisphere guys have a rather large advantage over us northern hemisphere boys -

- we get approx. 13 hours of direct sun a year (note - point may be a very rough approximation but accurate with current weather in UK)

- any guys like me, midlands and up I'm sure will generally agree that wickets (especially pre-july) are a bit of a lottery so one week can come nicely onto the bat and the next stick into the wicket like a fat person running through a mud wallow.

I've found that you can prepare your fielding and also your bowling to a certain degree but batting is a lost cause as most UK nets tend to be indoors batting on tracks never seen in game time (unless you are elite).

Some might detect my biterness about being rained off today but just wanted to bitch about an all too common point grr

What was the question again?

LF
    I always get pissed off when it gets rained of on Saturday. You do your net training and all preparing for Saturday, and then when you wake up Saturday morning it's pissing down. Frustrating as hell. And it is absolutely the worst when the game that is rained of is crucial to your team making the semis.A few years ago, the last day of the regular season was rained of, we were in a prime chance to win and missed out on the bloody semis. But yeah, you English fellas have really bad.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Ye rain pisses me off too, the other day woke up really looking forward to the game, hadn't got many runs recently and felt like today was my day and there was no rain all morning and then i got a call at about 11 saying the game was called off! We were playing about 30 mins away but there was no rain all day perfect sunny no clouds in the sky! I've only played 1 game in the last 4 saturdays.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer micoach's Avatar
    I did a post on this recently with a spreadsheet you can download to breakdown the year.

it's here: http://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-f...-periodisation

Thread Information