• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Training program

Aleksandar

Cricket Spectator
Hey chaps,

New on the forum.

I wanted to get an insight as to how you folks prepare for the cricket season, specifically the type of training you do leading up to the season, i.e pre-season training. Please specify in detail whether weights, fitness, plyometrics, etc. Furthermore, at what time do you start you pre-season training and what stages are involved? What is your training schedule during the season and what type of training is it?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi, I'm 15, my training program is as follows:

Indoor Cricket League every Saturday one to two games every Saturday. 6-a-side 10 overs per team. October - December.

Serious pre-season training starts January:

Saturday
2.30-4 Junior training involves nets (every other week), fielding drills, mini games etc.
4-5 Adult nets indoor (10 minute bat)

Monday
7-8 Adult nets indoor. (probs a 10 minute bat)

Also two nights a week or sunday afternoons I will go up with a couple of mates to a car park near my house and play car park cricket for about 2 hours with a windball.

Nearer the season I will look to do about 2/3 hours training a week on grass mainly fielding drills, I sometimes go up to the local football pitch to do fielding, as this helps keeping your eye on the ball as the ground is very rough and uneven.

In the summer I will do 2 hours fielding drills a week and about 3 hours netting. As well as 3-5 games each week.

I don't really do any weights as I'm a batter and am all about timing (which I must say my timing is top knotch) and just a dibbly-dabbly medium pacer who bowls it on the spot.

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
Play a winter sport!

Maybe not for everyone but I play rugby over the winter, this was instilled into me at school 'rugby = winter, cricket = summer'

On the whole though abut 8 weeks befre season. Mixture of everything for first couple of weeks then getting more technical closer to season. Of course you southern hemisphere guys have a rather large advantage over us northern hemisphere boys -

- we get approx. 13 hours of direct sun a year (note - point may be a very rough approximation but accurate with current weather in UK)

- any guys like me, midlands and up I'm sure will generally agree that wickets (especially pre-july) are a bit of a lottery so one week can come nicely onto the bat and the next stick into the wicket like a fat person running through a mud wallow.

I've found that you can prepare your fielding and also your bowling to a certain degree but batting is a lost cause as most UK nets tend to be indoors batting on tracks never seen in game time (unless you are elite).

Some might detect my biterness about being rained off today but just wanted to bitch about an all too common point grr :@

What was the question again? :blink: :)

LF

Aleksandar

Cricket Spectator
Play a winter sport!

Maybe not for everyone but I play rugby over the winter, this was instilled into me at school 'rugby = winter, cricket = summer'

On the whole though abut 8 weeks befre season. Mixture of everything for first couple of weeks then getting more technical closer to season. Of course you southern hemisphere guys have a rather large advantage over us northern hemisphere boys -

- we get approx. 13 hours of direct sun a year (note - point may be a very rough approximation but accurate with current weather in UK)

- any guys like me, midlands and up I'm sure will generally agree that wickets (especially pre-july) are a bit of a lottery so one week can come nicely onto the bat and the next stick into the wicket like a fat person running through a mud wallow.

I've found that you can prepare your fielding and also your bowling to a certain degree but batting is a lost cause as most UK nets tend to be indoors batting on tracks never seen in game time (unless you are elite).

Some might detect my biterness about being rained off today but just wanted to bitch about an all too common point grr :@

What was the question again? :blink: :)

LF
I always get pissed off when it gets rained of on Saturday. You do your net training and all preparing for Saturday, and then when you wake up Saturday morning it's pissing down. Frustrating as hell. And it is absolutely the worst when the game that is rained of is crucial to your team making the semis.A few years ago, the last day of the regular season was rained of, we were in a prime chance to win and missed out on the bloody semis. But yeah, you English fellas have really bad.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ye rain pisses me off too, the other day woke up really looking forward to the game, hadn't got many runs recently and felt like today was my day and there was no rain all morning and then i got a call at about 11 saying the game was called off! We were playing about 30 mins away but there was no rain all day perfect sunny no clouds in the sky! I've only played 1 game in the last 4 saturdays.