• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Being more agressive/ attacking at the crease

andmark

International Captain
Hi again
I have had two innings this season, and have scored three runs. My father insists that I need to be more agressive at the the crease and have an attacking shot on some bowls.
I play a format of village twenty over innings matches. I'm a spin bowler who bats usually around number eight. I do not have much strength.

Does anyone have any tips on how to be more agressive and gain more strength.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hi again
I have had two innings this season, and have scored three runs. My father insists that I need to be more agressive at the the crease and have an attacking shot on some bowls.
I play a format of village twenty over innings matches. I'm a spin bowler who bats usually around number eight. I do not have much strength.
Firstly, how old are you?
Well if you have some weights or a local gym, go and work on Cricket specific muscles with free weights.

Does anyone have any tips on how to be more agressive and gain more strength.
Well being aggresive is all about your mindset and mentality. If you are not confident, you will not have good innings. You must be positive when batting.

To gain strength, do body weight exercises and exercises with free weights like I stated above.

Good luck,

Jake.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Not too sure that you need to be that aggressive playing at your age, tbh. Found at age group cricket that there are always plenty of singles available, particularly on the leg side. I'd suggest being decisive would be more important than being aggressive. Doesn't really matter how far you've hit it - there are plenty of runs around and if you think one's there there, be decisive and run for it.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
If the bowler has any pace, just look to put bat on ball and work it into the gaps. Spinners - if they're any good - are much harder to play as a junior, but even the best will still bowl the odd bad ball at your age. Just wait for the shorter one and get bat on ball through the legside.

I never had any strength - I still don't - so you just have to make the most of what you've got. Look for the quick single and wait for the bad ball. If you've got a sound technique, you might not score many runs as a junior, but in the future - when all your bigger friends who probably do little but hit across the line can't last long against decent accurate bowling - you'll last longer and build proper innings.

andmark

International Captain
Firstly, how old are you?
Well if you have some weights or a local gym, go and work on Cricket specific muscles with free weights.

Well being aggresive is all about your mindset and mentality. If you are not confident, you will not have good innings. You must be positive when batting.

To gain strength, do body weight exercises and exercises with free weights like I stated above.

Good luck,

Jake.
I'm twelve years old.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Mossa

Cricket Spectator
Im 26 and still struggle from lack of strength. I got out yesterday to a spin bowler who floated the ball in the air really slowly and seemed to take an eternity till the ball pitched. The bowler from the other end was medium pace with a bit of zip & i played him fine but couldnt play the slow bolwer. In the end i had a rush of blood & tried to hit across the line before being bowled for 6. I stopped playing my usual game and took the bait and was bowled. Ive never hit a 6 in my life (close a few times) and i averaged 25 last season & im averaging 33 so far this season, so hasnt really affected me too much. My advice would be to play to your strengths and dont try and play shots you know your not good at, work on them in the nets.

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
Nets nets nets!

You need to concentrate on your timing. This is a key thing for any batsmen, if you can't time the ball, no matter how aggressive you are you will never score big runs. This is one of the fundemental things someone of your age needs to work on.

I've struggled with my timing early in the season and was caught in the covers 4 times through poor timing. I worked hard and have scored 150 runs in the last two games (not bragging just illustrating a point :dry: )

Think of it all as one long process....

"Timing the ball correctly brings better shots.......this brings more runs.....this gives you more confidence at the crease......this confidence will allow you to play more aggressivley."

Kinds tedious I know, when I was your age I took a leaf out of the Don Bradman book of batting. I got a stump and a golf ball (started with a tennis ball) and started hitting it (sadly didn't have the same outcome as bradman but it helped :@ )

Steds point also a very good one, at U13/14/15 you can make 20's and 30's happily in twenty overs by working the ball round the ground. We don't all need to aspire to play like Pietersen/Gilchrist/Macullum either, I would take a batsmen on my team who can build a decent innings and reliably get 30/40/50 every single game rather than fail fail 50 fail fail 150 (more prominent in pietersens game)

LF

LF

kp4captain

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If you can get runs and score boundaries without smashing the ball to the boundary then ignore the advice. If you need to just work on hitting the ball properly then obviously that takes time, you'll get better in time. If you ever need to slog though (eg. facing last ball of a twenty20 innings), just get your front leg out of the way and try and just smash it as hard as you can through the legside