Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leg spin bowling

Cricket Spectator
    thanks for the advice, pup clarke you asked me if i play for a club in glasgow, the answer to that is yes, Clydesdale cc.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    It's not uncommon for leg spinners to just completely lose it overnight.
    What he said.. It happened to me, in a 1st XI game in front of 300 people... Haven't bowled it since.. Went from being coached by Terry Jenner to bowling wide medium pace in a pub game, in the space of about a year..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Went to the nets for the first time in ages. My stock leggie is pretty slow through the air, but still difficult to play. My wrongin' was incredible though, I say that with as much modesty as possible. I landed it where I wanted every single time. Must video.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    As others have said, don't worry about trying to learn variation until you've got a decent leg spinner. Once you've got that operating well and getting a reasonable amount of turn, then you should start working on a variation or too. Richie Benaud reckoned it took him a couple of years until he got his wrong'un (I think, can't quite remember) up to a standard where he felt comfortable bowling it in a match.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Spectator
    Try the website http://www.testcricket.com.au, there are some decent tips on cricket skills

School Boy/Girl Cricketer someblokedave's Avatar
    It's not going to happen quick or be easy, it's a case of practice, practice and more practice. What you might want to try is bowling without a batsman there, it's a lot less demoralising. The thing you've basically got to do is turn your wrist anti-clockwise in order that your thumb is facing the batsman at the point of release. It may also help to look at how round arm you are in your delivery - try and get your arm up more vertically, that may be worth exploring as well?

This could be the wrist spinners thread (Leggies). All you have to do is keep updating it and it moves further and further up the google search pages and eventually it'll be massive!

So - anyone out there got any questions or advice on Wrist Spinning - also known as Leg Spin Bowling? Come on join in start posting questions and advice!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    I was very unorthadox with my variations. Only orthadox deliveries were leg break and the top spinner.

Topspinner is bowled similar to a leg break, but the wrist turns less, and it faces your ear when the ball is release.

I had a variation of the leg break. Without using the wrist, I just spun the ball with the fingers. As a result it came in front of the hand. It spun very little and it was the pitch middle hit middle ball for me.

My slider was just a leggie that I bowled without putting any spin. Wrist was at the same position as for the toppie, but I just let it off the had without any spin. With high arm action I had, ball was always drifting in, and this ball continued to go with the arm, or in simple terms, without spinning crashed in to the stumps.

Next variation was the flipper, but very dfferent to orthadox flipper. It was bowled with the back of the hand, but without spinning, The extra acceleration of the arm just at releae made sure it was faster and flatter than the slider.

Next one was the genuine seamer. I rotated the hand to face the batsman and just accelerated the arm. When bowled seam up, this will swing in to the right hander and crash in to pads of the batsmen.
    Thank you for unintentionally providing a highly plausible theory for my problem.

I have been wondering why some of my leg breaks turn and others go straighter, and I believe this may be it. If the action is similar then it would be harder for me to notice.

Anyway, came in here to ask how I could generate some pace on my leggies. I'd like to be able to bowl them quicker so good batsmen don't just line up midwicket or wherever for a hit. I'm trying to use the run up and get through my action as quickly as possible to generate some energy, is this the right way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Sounds like you are relying on pretty much your arm/wrist to generate spin and pace on the ball. You need to get more out of your front arm and your back hip.

One way of managing to work on it is standing start work.
    • Start with your feet placed in their final position, as you release the ball. Do not step into it, just push through the crease. Make a marker about a metre and a half away from the crease, and you should try and reach that point in your follow through.
    • Once you feel like you are getting through the crease better, and the ball is coming out at a reasonable pace - not as quick as what you would bowl to a batsman in a game, but you feel as though there is a lot of work on the ball - then start with your back foot in position, and make that last one step with your front foot and get through the crease again.
    • As it comes out better again, you bring yourself back a tad again. Keep on bringing yourself back again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Sounds like you are relying on pretty much your arm/wrist to generate spin and pace on the ball. You need to get more out of your front arm and your back hip.

One way of managing to work on it is standing start work.
    • Start with your feet placed in their final position, as you release the ball. Do not step into it, just push through the crease. Make a marker about a metre and a half away from the crease, and you should try and reach that point in your follow through.
    • Once you feel like you are getting through the crease better, and the ball is coming out at a reasonable pace - not as quick as what you would bowl to a batsman in a game, but you feel as though there is a lot of work on the ball - then start with your back foot in position, and make that last one step with your front foot and get through the crease again.
    • As it comes out better again, you bring yourself back a tad again. Keep on bringing yourself back again and again.
    Cheers. Will have a go at that.

Hmm I watched Beau Casson bowling on youtbe this morning and I'm now not surprised I bowl so many top spinners/wrong uns/straight balls/everything thats not a leg break. My action has some errors in it. Before I was only doing the wrist cocking thing when my arm was going round to bowl (and I mean much further through the action than Casson does it). Yeah I kinda fail at explaining actions I know.

Sure enough, after copying some of what Casson does my wrist spinners are actualy leg breaks now. I was surprised how effective it was, the change was instant. I thought I'd have to wrok my nuts off to get more than minimal turn but it turns well enough.

Tried Vics exercises with it and started firing it straight/the other way again. Think I might be relapsing a bit into my old action. For now I'll just get used to the "proper" leg break action for a wristspinner.

Certainly answers a lot for me. Before I felt like an offspinner despite being a wristy.

I've only been trying out wrist spin for a couple of weeks ftr. Before I bowled either medium pace/medium wides/fingerspin depending on what I felt like (or in the case of medium pace bowling like).
    Last edited by Flem274*; 09-12-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Stick at the Wrist Spin mate try and get hold of Clarrie Grimmetts book 'Taking Wickets' and have a read of Peter Philpotts 'The art of wrist spin bowling'. A mate of mine has got some potentially useful videos he's shot in slo mo that might also help clarify why and how the ball spins in relation to how it comes out of the hand. I hope to do the same in the summer for my blogs.

YouTube - Wrist Spin Bowling - Overspun Leg Break 3 (slow motion)

With the question regarding pace - my take on that is to do what Vic has said using the front arm to really whip the ball through (Windmill effect). Another is to run in rather than walk in or at least put some more pace into the 'Walk in' that then has a knock on effect through the 'Explosion' through the crease. But with the increase in pace you'll produce flatter balls and then need to look at producing dip.
    Last edited by someblokedave; 09-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by someblokedave View Post
    Stick at the Wrist Spin mate try and get hold of Clarrie Grimmetts book 'Taking Wickets' and have a read of Peter Philpotts 'The art of wrist spin bowling'. A mate of mine has got some potentially useful videos he's shot in slo mo that might also help clarify why and how the ball spins in relation to how it comes out of the hand. I hope to do the same in the summer for my blogs.

YouTube - Wrist Spin Bowling - Overspun Leg Break 3 (slow motion)

With the question regarding pace - my take on that is to do what Vic has said using the front arm to really whip the ball through (Windmill effect). Another is to run in rather than walk in or at least put some more pace into the 'Walk in' that then has a knock on effect through the 'Explosion' through the crease. But with the increase in pace you'll produce flatter balls and then need to look at producing dip.
    Cheers.

I take it you're a wrist spinner?

Quote Originally Posted by someblokedave View Post
    I take it you're a wrist spinner?
    Yep.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information