Thread: Keeping you head

Keeping you head

This will be an interesting one to get peoples opinions on...

I normally bat at 5 for my club however due to one or two needless injuries on saturday the skipper turns to me and tells me I'm opening.
    Natrually I jumped at the chance but then realised I've not opened for 11 years when I was playing U13 so had no concept of opening for a first team.

What I want to know is how do you guys all mentally keep your head (natrually I was a little twitchy and nearly ran myself out twice (only ended up with 38)) when you are put in an unexpected situation e.g. Opening bowling/batting, or even just bowling when you don't normally.

Conversley, do you have any amusing stories on the topic?

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of
    creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fez View Post
    This will be an interesting one to get peoples opinions on...

I normally bat at 5 for my club however due to one or two needless injuries on saturday the skipper turns to me and tells me I'm opening.
    Natrually I jumped at the chance but then realised I've not opened for 11 years when I was playing U13 so had no concept of opening for a first team.

What I want to know is how do you guys all mentally keep your head (natrually I was a little twitchy and nearly ran myself out twice (only ended up with 38)) when you are put in an unexpected situation e.g. Opening bowling/batting, or even just bowling when you don't normally.

Conversley, do you have any amusing stories on the topic?
    I opened the batting in 5th grade, batted all afternoon for 50 and then got out second last ball of the day to give the other team and outright victory. In a one-day game I batted the whole innings for 52 not out (we won though and I was on a hat-trick in the other team's innings).

Funnily enough, I bat 11 in firsts.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I'm a genuine number 11 however in school social grades no one ever seems to want to open (probably partly explains our lack of test openers) so I had a go with my tremendous record of **** average and a high score of three. Batted 24 overs for 9* in a score of **** all. Was proud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Spectator
    I'm a wicket keeper batting 6,7 or 8 usually and when we field first I struggle to bat in the second innings of the match. I am usually quite tired from keeping wicket and I have this idea in my head that my job is done.

I fail to take my batting seriously for some reason, I have this mental block. I can't concentrate when I bat and end up giving my wicket away cheaply.

Any tips?

I guess the same advice I was given. Don't play anything drastic until you hit double figures, this gets you playing yourself in and sighting the ball properly.

I imagine in your case it's a mental thing, keep running through your head every ball and try to keep calm and collected (something I need to learn - see above!).

Thread Information