• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Keeping you head

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
This will be an interesting one to get peoples opinions on...

I normally bat at 5 for my club however due to one or two needless injuries on saturday the skipper turns to me and tells me I'm opening.
Natrually I jumped at the chance but then realised I've not opened for 11 years when I was playing U13 so had no concept of opening for a first team. :wacko:

What I want to know is how do you guys all mentally keep your head (natrually I was a little twitchy and nearly ran myself out twice (only ended up with 38)) when you are put in an unexpected situation e.g. Opening bowling/batting, or even just bowling when you don't normally.

Conversley, do you have any amusing stories on the topic?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This will be an interesting one to get peoples opinions on...

I normally bat at 5 for my club however due to one or two needless injuries on saturday the skipper turns to me and tells me I'm opening.
Natrually I jumped at the chance but then realised I've not opened for 11 years when I was playing U13 so had no concept of opening for a first team. :wacko:

What I want to know is how do you guys all mentally keep your head (natrually I was a little twitchy and nearly ran myself out twice (only ended up with 38)) when you are put in an unexpected situation e.g. Opening bowling/batting, or even just bowling when you don't normally.

Conversley, do you have any amusing stories on the topic?
I opened the batting in 5th grade, batted all afternoon for 50 and then got out second last ball of the day to give the other team and outright victory. In a one-day game I batted the whole innings for 52 not out (we won though and I was on a hat-trick in the other team's innings).

Funnily enough, I bat 11 in firsts.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm a genuine number 11 however in school social grades no one ever seems to want to open (probably partly explains our lack of test openers) so I had a go with my tremendous record of **** average and a high score of three. Batted 24 overs for 9* in a score of **** all. Was proud.

Blamire

Cricket Spectator
I'm a wicket keeper batting 6,7 or 8 usually and when we field first I struggle to bat in the second innings of the match. I am usually quite tired from keeping wicket and I have this idea in my head that my job is done.

I fail to take my batting seriously for some reason, I have this mental block. I can't concentrate when I bat and end up giving my wicket away cheaply.

Any tips?

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
I guess the same advice I was given. Don't play anything drastic until you hit double figures, this gets you playing yourself in and sighting the ball properly.

I imagine in your case it's a mental thing, keep running through your head every ball and try to keep calm and collected (something I need to learn - see above!).