• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I wasted my cricket talent

Mard

Banned
Back in 1996 I was the best cricket player in my highschool cricket team. I was a all rounder. i was awarded many medals for my performances. In 1997 I lead my highschool cricket team as a captian to its first championship win. But once i graduated from highschool i had to let go off cricket because of so much studies in University. To this day i regret my decision to leave cricket, but because of so much University pressure and also from parents I had to let it go. Now I am almost 30 and I really think what would have happend if i had pursued cricket as a career, I had all the potential.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As long as you don't have time constraints or lingering injuries, I'd recommend signing up for a weekend cricket club, even at a really low level. Obviously you're not going to make a career out of it now, but it sounds like you miss the game.

Mard

Banned
^ actually few days ago i tried playing cricket after almost a 10 year gap and i have totally lost my touch. My talent in batting, bowling and fielding are totally gone now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
^ actually few days ago i tried playing cricket after almost a 10 year gap and i have totally lost my touch. My talent in batting, bowling and fielding are totally gone now.
Well you can't expect to just pick up where you left off ten years ago straight away.

As I said, you're obviously not going to make a career out of it now, but I think you'd enjoy yourself if you gave it a proper go. Again, this is assuming you have the time and energy on the weekend.

Mard

Banned
yeah one thing i noticed my energy level is totally gone. I only bowled 3 overs and i was dead tired.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I could have done a bit better than I did. Leg-spinners need thousands of balls under their belt (:naughty: ) and I simply didn’t bowl enough. One late winter training I came along and bowled, to be honest, quite brilliantly, and the senior coach suggested I could go as far as I wanted that season (possibly Otago 2nd XI or even a step higher) but unfortunately I missed a couple of weekend through work and I was back to bowling rubbish again…

bond21

Banned
being the top player in a school team doesnt automatically mean you can be a professional cricketer.

andmark

International Captain
Just play for a village cricket team. You would get a lot of good matches with a good atmosphere.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in 1996 I was the best cricket player in my highschool cricket team. I was a all rounder. i was awarded many medals for my performances. In 1997 I lead my highschool cricket team as a captian to its first championship win. But once i graduated from highschool i had to let go off cricket because of so much studies in University. To this day i regret my decision to leave cricket, but because of so much University pressure and also from parents I had to let it go. Now I am almost 30 and I really think what would have happend if i had pursued cricket as a career, I had all the potential.
I was one of the finest haitter of soft ball when I was around 13. I decided to play hard ball. Played a season and scored with a SR of 100+ in both forms of game, averaging about 35. Then Advanced Levels came, I gave up cricket. By the time my eyes have developed keratoconus. And when I once more took to hard ball cricket in my 1st year in university I have lost all my batting. But my occasional leggies have taken such a ascent, I quickly became the top-spot spinner for my university. Once more played 3 seasons, and I made many playes to look utter foolish (even FC class playes and one or two international ODI players as well). Then 4, 5 years,with my clinicals, gave up cricket. Now I am 31, and still can bowl those ripping leg breaks, but now I am a post-graduate student of clinical medicine. I've put weight from 84kg to 101kg and I think it's end of my cricket.