Thread: I wasted my cricket talent

Banned

I wasted my cricket talent

Back in 1996 I was the best cricket player in my highschool cricket team. I was a all rounder. i was awarded many medals for my performances. In 1997 I lead my highschool cricket team as a captian to its first championship win. But once i graduated from highschool i had to let go off cricket because of so much studies in University. To this day i regret my decision to leave cricket, but because of so much University pressure and also from parents I had to let it go. Now I am almost 30 and I really think what would have happend if i had pursued cricket as a career, I had all the potential.

As long as you don't have time constraints or lingering injuries, I'd recommend signing up for a weekend cricket club, even at a really low level. Obviously you're not going to make a career out of it now, but it sounds like you miss the game.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Banned
    ^ actually few days ago i tried playing cricket after almost a 10 year gap and i have totally lost my touch. My talent in batting, bowling and fielding are totally gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    ^ actually few days ago i tried playing cricket after almost a 10 year gap and i have totally lost my touch. My talent in batting, bowling and fielding are totally gone now.
    Well you can't expect to just pick up where you left off ten years ago straight away.

As I said, you're obviously not going to make a career out of it now, but I think you'd enjoy yourself if you gave it a proper go. Again, this is assuming you have the time and energy on the weekend.

Banned
    yeah one thing i noticed my energy level is totally gone. I only bowled 3 overs and i was dead tired.

I could have done a bit better than I did. Leg-spinners need thousands of balls under their belt ( ) and I simply didn’t bowl enough. One late winter training I came along and bowled, to be honest, quite brilliantly, and the senior coach suggested I could go as far as I wanted that season (possibly Otago 2nd XI or even a step higher) but unfortunately I missed a couple of weekend through work and I was back to bowling rubbish again…

I thought this was going to be about Ramps.

Banned
    being the top player in a school team doesnt automatically mean you can be a professional cricketer.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Agree with PEWS. Get the fire burning Mard.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Just play for a village cricket team. You would get a lot of good matches with a good atmosphere.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    Back in 1996 I was the best cricket player in my highschool cricket team. I was a all rounder. i was awarded many medals for my performances. In 1997 I lead my highschool cricket team as a captian to its first championship win. But once i graduated from highschool i had to let go off cricket because of so much studies in University. To this day i regret my decision to leave cricket, but because of so much University pressure and also from parents I had to let it go. Now I am almost 30 and I really think what would have happend if i had pursued cricket as a career, I had all the potential.
    I was one of the finest haitter of soft ball when I was around 13. I decided to play hard ball. Played a season and scored with a SR of 100+ in both forms of game, averaging about 35. Then Advanced Levels came, I gave up cricket. By the time my eyes have developed keratoconus. And when I once more took to hard ball cricket in my 1st year in university I have lost all my batting. But my occasional leggies have taken such a ascent, I quickly became the top-spot spinner for my university. Once more played 3 seasons, and I made many playes to look utter foolish (even FC class playes and one or two international ODI players as well). Then 4, 5 years,with my clinicals, gave up cricket. Now I am 31, and still can bowl those ripping leg breaks, but now I am a post-graduate student of clinical medicine. I've put weight from 84kg to 101kg and I think it's end of my cricket.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Thread Information